|Nickname||Omnivore of the Year|
|Special Moves||Egg Lay (Neutral), Egg Roll (Side), Egg Throw (Up), Yoshi Bomb (Down)|
|Final Smash||Super Dragon|
|First appearance||Super Mario World (1990)|
|Voice actor||Kazumi Totaka|
Yoshi (ヨッシー, Yoshi) is a playable character in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch. His return in Super Smash Bros. 4 was announced during a Super Smash Bros. Direct on April 8th, 2014, making him the last of the "perfect-attendance crew" to be announced. He was also among the first wave of amiibo figures. Kazumi Totaka reprises his role as Yoshi's voice actor, albeit via recycled voice clips.
As dependable a partner as one could hope for, Yoshi often aids Mario in his adventures. Yoshi can swallow just about anything and make an egg of it instantly. He's got some serious airborne power, making launching opponents skyward and then following up with more attacks a wise choice.
- Yoshi is the only member of "The Original 8" to not be revealed at E3 2013, and the last one to be revealed in general.
- Yoshi, along with Bowser, Bowser Jr., Wario, Mr. Game & Watch, Little Mac, Young Link, Ganondorf, Corrin, Charizard, Lucario, Pac-Man, Sonic, Justice and SpongeBob are the only characters who transform during their Final Smash. Inkling, Goku and Sakura transform from one of their special moves.
- Yoshi is the only non-DLC veteran that is not an alternate form or part of a set to have splash art and an introduction tagline accompany his reveal.
- SSB4 is the first installment in which Yoshi receives new alternate costumes under normal circumstances.
- Yoshi, Jigglypuff, and Captain Falcon are the only characters to use voice clips from every installment of Super Smash Bros.
- Incidentally, Yoshi Bomb's voice clip is still available in Sound Test, even though Yoshi no longer vocalizes upon using Yoshi Bomb.
- Yoshi is the only veteran who can no longer be rendered helpless upon using any of his special moves.
- Although Yoshi's back aerial now consists of three hits instead of four, the sound effect of the removed fourth hit can still be heard if one listens closely. This is much more noticeable in Training Mode's 1/4× speed setting.
- Yoshi's punching victory pose is likely a humorous reference to one of Akuma's victory poses or his Raging Demon (瞬獄殺, Blinking Prison Killer), which concludes with an identical pose. This is even referenced in Ryu's All-Star Mode congratulations screen in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch characters
|List of Characters|
|AiAi · Bayonetta · Bowser · Bowser Jr. · Captain Falcon · Charizard · Cloud · Corrin · Crash · Daisy · Dark Pit · Diddy Kong · Dixie Kong · Donkey Kong · Donkey Kong Jr. · Dr. Mario · Duck Hunt · Elsa · Falco · Fox · Ganondorf · Goku · Greninja · Ice Climbers · Ike · Inkling · Inuyasha · Jigglypuff · Justice · King Dedede · Kirby · Lana · Link · Little Mac · Lucario · Lucas · Lucina · Luigi · Marina · Mario · Marth · Mega Man · Meta Knight · Mewtwo · Mii Fighter (Brawler · Gunner · Swordfighter) · Mr. Game & Watch · Naruto · Ness · Olimar · Pac-Man · Palutena · Peach · Pichu · Pikachu · Pit · Pokémon Trainer · R.O.B. · Ralph · Reimu · Robin · Rosalina & Luma · Roy · Ryu · Sakura · Samus · Scott Pilgrim · Sheik · Shulk · Snake · Sonic · SpongeBob · Toon Link · Villager · Wario · Wii Fit Trainer · Wolf · Yoshi · Young Link · Zelda · Zero Suit Samus|