|Nickname||Scoundrel with a Fart of Gold|
|Special Moves||Bite (Neutral), Wario Bike (Side), Corkscrew (Up), Wario Waft (Down)|
|First appearance||Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins (1992)|
|Voice actor||Charles Martinet|
Wario (ワリオ, Wario) returns as a playable character in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch. In Super Smash Bros. 4, he was officially confirmed on October 3rd, 2014 alongside Ness and Falco, coinciding with the North American and European release of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS. This time around, he is unlockable, as opposed to being available from the start in Brawl.
A living embodiment of gross, this villian hates Mario and loves money. He claims to have known Mario since childhood, but who can tell if that's true? In Smash Bros., he's a seriously agile heavyweight fighter. He can store up his trademark Wario Waft for explosive results. Did I mention he's gross?
- Wario is the only character that debuted as a starter to be made unlockable in a later game.
- Since Wario is part of Luigi's Final Smash trophy, Wario can be seen in the game before he is even unlocked.
- Wario is the only character with fewer alternate costumes in SSB4 than in Brawl, going from 12 to 8 options.
- Wario's All-Star trophy in the 3DS version resembles his artwork for Super Mario 64 DS.
- Wario is one of the five unlockable veterans that do not appear in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U's opening movie, with the other four being Falco, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B. and Dr. Mario.
- Wario is the only character with a fourth taunt, which is done by taunting while riding the Wario Bike (even when in the air), as well as one of two characters that can taunt while using a special move, with the other being Greninja while doing Shadow Sneak.
- Humorously, Wario swings the Home-Run Bat by holding it in his mouth like a dog, while the Duck Hunt dog swings it like a human being would, even standing on two legs while doing so.
- Although Wario's default palette has him wearing his jacket, the only defensive equipment he can use are Badges and Overalls. It is unknown why he can't use both, as Charizard uses 3 different types of Attack equipment.
- In a reply to a letter from a reader in his Famitsu Column, Masahiro Sakurai stated that he decided to replace Wario's former forward smash, his signature Dash Attack, with a backhanded punch to make Wario stronger.
- A glitch exists on the 3DS version, where if the player quits the game right before Wario-Man transforms back into Wario, then Wario will be completely black during his No Contest animation. If one executes it properly, then the sound clip of Wario Man groaning as he transforms back into Wario should play as the screen moves onto the No Contest screen.
- Wario, along with Bowser, Bowser Jr., Yoshi, Mr. Game & Watch, Little Mac, Young Link, Ganondorf, Corrin, Charizard, Lucario, Mewtwo, Pac-Man, Sonic, Justice and SpongeBob are the only characters who transform during their Final Smash. Inkling, Goku and Sakura transform from one of their special moves.
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch characters
|List of Characters|
|AiAi · Bayonetta · Bowser · Bowser Jr. · Captain Falcon · Charizard · Cloud · Corrin · Crash · Daisy · Dark Pit · Diddy Kong · Dixie Kong · Donkey Kong · Donkey Kong Jr. · Dr. Mario · Duck Hunt · Elsa · Falco · Fox · Ganondorf · Goku · Greninja · Ice Climbers · Ike · Inkling · Inuyasha · Jigglypuff · Justice · King Dedede · Kirby · Lana · Link · Little Mac · Lucario · Lucas · Lucina · Luigi · Marina · Mario · Marth · Mega Man · Meta Knight · Mewtwo · Mii Fighter (Brawler · Gunner · Swordfighter) · Mr. Game & Watch · Naruto · Ness · Olimar · Pac-Man · Palutena · Peach · Pichu · Pikachu · Pit · Pokémon Trainer · R.O.B. · Ralph · Reimu · Robin · Rosalina & Luma · Roy · Ryu · Sakura · Samus · Scott Pilgrim · Sheik · Shulk · Snake · Sonic · SpongeBob · Toon Link · Villager · Wario · Wii Fit Trainer · Wolf · Yoshi · Young Link · Zelda · Zero Suit Samus|