|Nickname||Mayor of Smashville|
|Special Moves||Pocket (Neutral), Lloid Rocket (Side), Balloon Trip (Up), Timber (Down)|
|Final Smash||Dream Home (Housewarming Party in PAL version)|
|First appearance||Animal Crossing (2001)|
Villager (むらびと, Villager) is a playable character in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch. In Super Smash Bros. 4, Villager was revealed during E3 2013 on June 11th, 2013 during the first reveal trailer for Smash 4, and alongside other newcomers announced during E3 2013, Wii Fit Trainer and Mega Man. Similar to the Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, Corrin and Inkling, players are able to play as male and female versions of the Villager. There are four male and four female variations available. He was also among the first wave of amiibo figures that are compatible with Super Smash Bros. 4.
An energetic young man from a peaceful town in Animal Crossing, he is eager to make his Smash Bros. debut! His Balloon Trip recovery lets him fly like a character from Balloon Fight. The Villager sets out to answer that age-old question: If a tree falls on the battlefield and foes are beneath it, do they get launched?
- The Villager was the first newcomer announced for Super Smash Bros. 4.
- The initial reveal for the Villager quickly became an internet phenomenon; due to his constant smile (just like how the Villager in Animal Crossing usually keeps the same expression during gameplay) and having weapons associated with stereotypical serial killers, namely his shovel and axe, many smashers and outside observers joked that the Villager was actually a dangerous killer, earning him the nickname "Killager".
- The Wii Fit Trainer additionally received several memes after her reveal, though this was much less widespread than the Villager's.
- The Villager was considered as a character in the planning stages of Brawl, but dropped because "he wasn't suited for battle".
- The Villager is the only newcomer to be on both the Wii U and 3DS covers. This is also the case with Pac-Man and Rosalina if one counts the full group art on both versions.
- The Villager's alternate costumes are also worn by the Villagers who appear as background characters in Smashville.
- Villager and Bowser Jr. are the only characters who can use any of their costumes as an opponent in All-Star Mode.
- When the Villager ducks, one of his animations will make him grow an index finger.
- The Villager holds the record for the most amount of sex kicks, with them being his neutral, up, and down aerials.
- The Villager's down smash buries opponents on the ground, making it the only smash attack in the series that can never KO under any circumstances when grounded.
- The Villager's forward smash involves him dropping a bowling ball in front of him as a projectile, being the only smash attack in the series with infinite vertical range.
- The property of swinging varying amounts of turnips for his down aerial derives from how the price of turnips fluctuate in Animal Crossing.
- Villager, Pac-Man, and Duck Hunt are the only characters who have moves based on another series. Villager's neutral attack involves him punching with boxing gloves, which could be referencing Punch-Out!! which appeared in the original Animal Crossing as an obtainable NES game. His up special, Balloon Trip, is taken from Balloon Fight which also appeared in the original Animal Crossing as an obtainable NES game.
- Villager's fall animation is identical to the defeat animation of the protagonist of Balloon Fight and also has increased fall speed when helpless, further cementing the similarities.
- While the Villager blinks his eyes in normal gameplay, he does not blink during his clapping animation after losing a battle.
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch characters
|List of Characters|
|AiAi · Bayonetta · Bowser · Bowser Jr. · Captain Falcon · Charizard · Cloud · Corrin · Crash · Daisy · Dark Pit · Diddy Kong · Dixie Kong · Donkey Kong · Donkey Kong Jr. · Dr. Mario · Duck Hunt · Elsa · Falco · Fox · Ganondorf · Goku · Greninja · Ice Climbers · Ike · Inkling · Inuyasha · Jigglypuff · Justice · King Dedede · Kirby · Lana · Link · Little Mac · Lucario · Lucas · Lucina · Luigi · Marina · Mario · Marth · Mega Man · Meta Knight · Mewtwo · Mii Fighter (Brawler · Gunner · Swordfighter) · Mr. Game & Watch · Naruto · Ness · Olimar · Pac-Man · Palutena · Peach · Pichu · Pikachu · Pit · Pokémon Trainer · R.O.B. · Ralph · Reimu · Robin · Rosalina & Luma · Roy · Ryu · Sakura · Samus · Scott Pilgrim · Sheik · Shulk · Snake · Sonic · SpongeBob · Toon Link · Villager · Wario · Wii Fit Trainer · Wolf · Yoshi · Young Link · Zelda · Zero Suit Samus|