Ugly Duckling is a 2002 American Drama film written by Ava DuVernay and directed by Anne Fletcher starring Paul Walker, Heather Matarazzo, Geoffrey Rush, Rosemary Harris, Helena Bonham Carter and Frankie Muniz.
The film was a financial success and was was reviewed well by critics and audiences being marked as "one of the best romantic comedies/drama films of 2002."
The film garnered two Oscar Nominations 1: For Best Actor: Paul Walker and 2. For Best Supporting Actress: Helena Bonham Carter.
It was released theatrically on January 11th, 2002 in cinemas.
Set in the early, sprawling 90's Manhattan the story covers a handsome bachelor sick with his unsatisfactory life: one of rigged competition, exploitation, alcohol, drugs and meaningless sex who comes to drop his comfortable status, in favour of working as a charity man at a foundation for the less lucky in life, a cause in which he finds love with an exterior unpleasing woman filled with love, aspirations and compassion whom is chained to an abusive alcoholic sister.
Things become further complicated by his disapproving tyranical rich parents and the charity case of a troubled 11 year old boy who is a runaway dodging his mentally broken mother, who snapped as a result of the boy's father cheating and up and leaving her.
- Paul Walker as Franklin Hooper
- Heather Matarazzo as Jeanine Littleton
- Geoffrey Rush as Sylvester Hooper
- Rosemary Harris as Gabriella Hooper
- Helena Bonham Carter as Margaret Littleton
- Frankie Muniz as Tommy Roscoe
- Moon River- Audrey Hepburn
- Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps- Doris Day
- Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover- Sophie B. Hawkins
- Smells Like Teen Spirit- Nirvana
- Giving Him Something He Can Feel- En Vogue
- If You Asked Me To- Celine Dion
- Masterpiece- Atlantic Starr
- I'm Too Sexy- Right Said Fred
- To Be With You- Mr. Big
- If You Asked Me To & Masterpiece- Heather Matarazzo & Paul Walker
- Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps- Helena Bonham Carter
- Under The Bridge- Red Hot Chilli Peppers