Touhou Azure Trilogy is a fighting video game (based on its elements from the Touhou fighting video games) in the Touhou series. This fighting game is for the PC, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and Xbox One. This fighting video game has been released on November 1, 2019.
The gameplay of Touhou Azure Trilogy is similar to that of the Marvel vs. Capcom franchise and Bandai Namco's Dragon Ball FighterZ. Using Spell cards act in the same behavior as super attacks. Up to two players can now battle it out by using more than one character. During gameplay from other fighting games in the Touhou series, it has a new feature called "Azure Rage". It is a new power-up where it boosts the player's attack and defense power for a short amount of time. It also enhances all of the special moves and Spell Cards, too. In Story Mode, the player can battle throughout the land of Gensokyo, completing the chapters and defeating Utsuho Reiuji, who holds the Scarlet Crystal that turns her into Scarletta, making it the only transformation as the final boss. In Arcade Mode, the player can battle through nine stages and defeat Utsuho Reiuji (along with Scarletta) on the tenth and final stage. When playing as Utsuho Reiuji, then the final two characters on the tenth and final stage is both Reimu Hakurei and Marisa Kirisame (along with their Azure Rage forms). This mode features the ranking meter. Winning a round raises the grade by 0.2 (0.4 upon delivering the final blow to an opponent using a Super Attack, 0.6 upon finishing a round in 60 seconds or less, 0.8 upon either getting a first attack or a perfect win and 1.0 upon getting a first attack and a perfect win). Only the highest ranking level gets shown. Players can still continue upon losing, but the ranking lowers by 0.5, any consecutive continues upon losing lowers the ranking by 1.0. This ranking meter varies the grade level as it follows upon the completion of Arcade mode: E (0.0-1.0) → D (1.1-2.0) → C (2.1-3.0) → B (3.1-4.0) → A (4.1-5.0) → One Star (5.1-6.0) → Two Stars (6.1-7.0) → Three Stars (7.1-8.0) → Rainbow Star (8.1-9.0). In Versus Mode, players can battle it out in 1-3 on 1-3 battles. The player can even battle the computer player and watch two computer players go head-to-head. In Ghost Battle, the player can defeat as many Ghost characters to unlock various items or Gensokyo coins to spend at the shop. In Training mode, the player can freely practice combos against an AI-Controlled Computer player, and also complete training missions in that mode. In Online Mode, an internet connection and a Nintendo Online Membership card are both required for players to play online.
- Story Mode
- Arcade Mode
- Versus (1-3 on 1-3)
- 1P vs. CPU
- 1P vs. 2P
- CPU vs. CPU
- Online Versus (1-3 on 1-3)
- Ghost Battle
- Mission Training
NOTE: All of the characters return from each fighting game in the Touhou series. Fighting newcomers who are new to this fighting game do not. New DLC characters will be coming this winter and the year of 2020. On March 12, 2020, the Season 2 DLC Pack was announced and will be released on March 27, 2020. Leaving the details for seasons 3 and 4 DLC packs to be confirmed. DLC exclusive characters, Suigintou (from Rozen Maiden), Glitter Lucky (from Glitter Force), Ladybug (from the Miraculous Ladybug series), Peach (from the Super Mario series), Zelda (from the Legend of Zelda series) and the Inkling Girl (from the Splatoon series) have all been confirmed as of August 2, 2019 and they are the first to be released on December 8, 2019. Peach, Zelda and the Inkling Girl for the Nintendo Switch version have been confirmed and released on December 11, 2019 along with Suigintou, Glitter Lucky and Ladybug. Characters highlighted in bold are hidden characters, while italics describe DLC characters.
|Reisen Udongein Inaba||
|Mononobe no Futo||
|Toyosatomimi no Miko||
|Hata no Kokoro||
|Fujiwara no Mokou||
|Eiki Shiki, Yamaxanadu||
New Playable Characters
NOTE: Only guest characters (who appear as DLC characters) appear as newcomers.
NOTE: Each non-playable characters make cameos on various stages, victory animations and character endings.
- Koakuma (appears in a victory animation for Patchouli Knowledge)
- Yukkuri Reimu (sub-boss of Story Mode, also stage 9 in Arcade Mode)
- Scarletta (appears as a transformation for Utsuho Reiuji, final boss)
- Letty Whiterock
- Lily White
- Prismriver Sisters (Lyrica Prismriver, Lunasa Prismriver, Merlin Prismriver, Layla Prismriver)
- Tewi Inaba (appears in a victory animation for Reisen Udongein Inaba)
- Unzan (appears alongside Ichirin Kumoi)
- Medicine Melancholy
- Shizuha Aki
- Minoriko Aki
- Momiji Inubashiri
- Yamame Kurodani
- Parase Mizuhashi
- Rin Kaenbyou
- Shou Toramaru
- Master Big Catfish
- Kyouko Kasodani
- Yoshika Miyako
- Soga no Tojiko
- Kagerou Imaizumi
- Benben Tsukumo
- Yatsuhashi Tsukumo
- Seija Kijin
- Raiko Horikawa
- Nemuno Sakata
- Aunn Komano
- Narumi Yatadera
- Mai Teireida
- Satono Nishida
- Okina Matara
- Eika Ebisu
- Urumi Ushizaki
- Kutaka Niwatari
- Rinnosuke Morichika
- Glitter Sunny
- Glitter Peace
- Glitter Spring
- Glitter Breeze
- Glitter Heart
- Glitter Diamond
- Glitter Clover
- Glitter Spade
- Glitter Ace
- Adrien Agreste/Cat Noir
- Alya Césaire/Rena Rouge
- Chloé Bourgeois
- Sabrina Raincomprix
- Nadja Chamack
- Tetra (appears as Zelda's form in her character intro during gameplay)
- King of Red Lions/King Daphnes
- Squid Sisters
- Off the Hook
- DJ Octavio
Character Unlock Criteria
NOTE: Playable characters can be unlocked by following their method in Arcade Mode, while Utsuho Reiuji can be unlocked by following her method in Story Mode. Eternity Larva can still be unlocked when playing 100 Versus Mode matches even if the player hasn't followed the the unlock method for Arcade Mode.
|Ran Yakumo||Complete Arcade Mode once.|
|Wriggle Nightbug||Complete Arcade Mode with 5 characters.|
|Mystia Lorelei||Complete Arcade Mode with 10 characters.|
|Eirin Yagokoro||Complete Arcade Mode with 15 characters.|
|Kaguya Houraisan||Complete Arcade Mode with 20 characters.|
|Eiki Shiki, Yamaxanadu||Complete Arcade Mode with 25 characters.|
|Yuugi Hoshiguma||Complete Arcade Mode with a ranking of one star or higher.|
|Shion Yorigami||Deliver the final blow to all of the opponents using a Super Attack in Arcade Mode.|
|Eternity Larva||Complete Arcade Mode with a ranking of three stars or higher or finish 100 Versus Mode matches.|
|Utsuho Reiuji||Complete all chapters in Story Mode.|
NOTE: The four hidden stages can be unlocked by completing chapters throughout Story Mode. So far, there are 27 normal stages, 4 hidden stages and 9 DLC stages, making it a total of 40 to choose from. Stages highlighted in bold are hidden stages, while italics describe DLC stages.
- Training Stage
- Hakurei Shrine
- Forest of Magic
- Misty Lake
- Scarlet Devil Mansion
- Scarlet Devil Mansion (Rooftop)
- Great Library
- Clock Tower
- Bamboo Forest of the Lost
- Youkai Mountain
- Moriya Shrine
- Underground Geyser Center
- Treasure Ship Above the Clouds
- Myouren Temple
- Kasen's Hermit World
- Genbu Ravine
- Palace of the Earth Spirits
- Youkai Tanuki Forest
- Human Village
- Shining Needle Castle
- Outside World
- Dream World
- Azure Crystal Cavern
- Azure Flame Chamber
- Scarlet Crystal Cavern
- Scarlet Core
- Paris, France
- Peach's Castle Garden (Nintendo Switch version)
- Hyrule Castle (Nintendo Switch version)
- Inkopolis (Nintendo Switch version)
- Yoshi's Island (Nintendo Switch version)
- Garden of Hope (Nintendo Switch version)
- Nintendo Land (Nintendo Switch version)
|Character||Voice Actor (Japanese)||Voice Actor (English)|
|Alice Margatroid||Misato Fukuen||Felecia Angelle|
|Aya Shameimaru||Yūko Minaguchi||Kate Higgins|
|Byakuren Hijiri||Yū Asakawa||Heidi O'Connor|
|Candy||Ikue Ōtani||Debi Derryberry|
|Chen||Satomi Kōrogi||Monica Rial|
|Cirno||Yuka Iguchi||Sandy Fox|
|Clownpiece||Yokō Hikasa||Debi Derryberry|
|Dina||Yuka Imai||Kate Higgins|
|Doremy Sweet||Yui Ishikawa||Lisa Schulz-Reichart|
|Eiki Shiki, Yamaxanadu||Mamiko Noto||Stephanie Sheh|
|Eirin Yagokoro||Atsuko Tanaka||Megan Hollingshead|
|Eternity Larva||Ayana Taketatsu||Marieve Herington|
|Flandre Scarlet||Oma Ichimura||Christine Marie Cabanos|
|Fujiwara no Mokou||Haruna Ikezawa||Trina Nishimura|
|Glitter Lucky||Misato Fukuen||Laura Bailey|
|Glitter Sunny||Asami Tano||Colleen Villard|
|Glitter Peace||Hisako Kanemoto||Alex Cazares|
|Glitter Spring||Marina Inoue||Danielle Judovits|
|Glitter Breeze||Chinami Nishimura||Kate Higgins|
|Glitter Heart||Hitomi Nabatame||Debi Derryberry|
|Glitter Diamond||Minako Kotobuki||Cherami Leigh|
|Glitter Clover||Mai Fuchigami||Melissa Fahn|
|Glitter Spade||Kanako Miyamoto||Stephanie Sheh|
|Glitter Ace||Rie Kugimiya||Erica Lindbeck|
|Hata no Kokoro||Saori Seto||Cristina Vee|
|Hina Kagiyama||Chinami Nishimura||Jeannie Tirado|
|Hong Meiling||Naomi Ōzora||Colleen Villard|
|Ichirin Kumoi||Saori Hayami||Ashly Burch|
|Iku Nagae||Eriko Nakamura||Alexis Tipton|
|Inkling Girl||Yuki Tsujii||N/A|
|Joon Yorigami||Eri Sendai||G. K. Bowes|
|Junko||Junko Takeuchi||Veronica Taylor|
|Kaguya Houraisan||Mamiko Noto||Kate Higgins|
|Kanako Yasaka||Romi Park||Mary Elizabeth McGlynn|
|Kasen Ibaraki||Rie Kugimiya||Patty Morales|
|Keine Kamishirasawa||Satsuki Yukino||Melody Taylor|
|Koakuma||Yui Ogura||Cristina Vee|
|Kogasa Tatara||Rina Hidaka||Natalie Lander|
|Koishi Komeiji||Maaya Sakamoto||Erica Lindbeck|
|Komachi Onozuka||Fumiko Orikasa||Cindy Robinson|
|Kurumi||Hitomi Nabatame||Carrie Savage|
|Ladybug||Karin Nanami||Cristina Vee|
|Mamizou Futatsuiwa||Sora Amamiya||Bryn Apprill|
|Marisa Kirisame||Ayumi Fujimura||Erica Mendez|
|Mima||Miyuki Sawashiro||Michelle Ruff|
|Mononobe no Futo||Mayumi Iizuka||Sarah Anne Williams|
|Mystia Lorelei||Nana Mizuki||Natalie Lander|
|Narrator||Mie Sonozaki||Caitlin Glass|
|Nitori Kawashiro||Hitomi Nabatame||Lara Woodhull|
|Orange||Kana Ueda||Jill Harris|
|Patchouli Knowledge||Yuka Inokuchi||Melissa Fahn|
|Ran Yakumo||Junko Takeuchi||Lani Minella|
|Reimu Hakurei||Minako Kotobuki||Cherami Leigh|
|Reisen Udongein Inaba||Minako Kotobuki||Stephanie Sheh|
|Remilia Scarlet||Mai Gotou||Erica Lindbeck|
|Rumia||Yuiko Tatsumi||Hunter Mackenzie Austin|
|Sakuya Izayoi||Shizuka Itō||Wendee Lee|
|Sanae Kochiya||Kaori Nazuka||Laura Bailey|
|Satori Komeiji||Harumi Sakurai||Hunter Mackenzie Austin|
|Scarletta||Houko Kuwashima||Laura Post|
|Shinki||Mikako Komatsu||Carrie Keranen|
|Shinmyoumaru Sukuna||Kumiko Watanabe||Erica Lindbeck|
|Shion Yorigami||Yui Ishikawa||Danielle Judovits|
|Suigintou||Rie Tanaka||Karen Strassman|
|Suika Ibuki||Kae Araki||Sandy Fox|
|Sumireko Usami||Yui Horie||Cassandra Lee Morris|
|Suwako Moriya||Yuiko Tatsumi||Alex Cazares|
|Tenshi Hinanawi||Haruna Ikezawa||Cassandra Lee Morris|
|Tewi Inaba||Kana Asumi||Marieve Herington|
|Toyosatomimi no Miko||Ayahi Takagaki||Felecia Angelle|
|Unzan||Toshiyuki Morikawa||Kyle Hebert|
|Utsuho Reiuji||Haruka Tomatsu||Mela Lee|
|Wriggle Nightbug||Marina Inoue||Tara Sands|
|Youmu Konpaku||Yūko Minaguchi||G. K. Bowes|
|Yukari Yakumo||Miyuki Sawashiro||Tara Platt|
|Yumemi Okazaki||Ayumi Fujimura||Erika Hughes|
|Yuugi Hoshiguma||Romi Park||Erin Fitzgerald|
|Yuuka Kazami||Haruka Tomatsu||Brittney Lee Harvey|
|Yuyuko Saigyouji||Eri Kitamura||Laura Bailey|
|Zelda||Akane Ōmae||Stephanie Sheh (character ending only)|
Character Select Screens
- On the Nintendo Switch version, Touhou Azure Trilogy is going to be released on the same date that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate got released in the year 2018. However, as of November 1, 2019, the date was now changed to December 6, 2019.
- Princess Zelda (who is classified as a DLC character) is playable in her model from The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.
- Glitter Lucky is the only character to have all of her allies from Glitter Force and Glitter Force Doki Doki (who made cameos in her Arcade Mode ending) to join in her Level 3 Super Attack, Ultimate Princess Finish.
- On the Main Menu of this game, the player who used the character most, gets shown on the screen.
- Reimu Hakurei and NPC Glitter Diamond share the same Japanese and English voice actors, Minako Kotobuki and Cherami Leigh.
- This is the first Touhou fighting video game to:
- Have this game to be released on an Xbox video game console.
- Have this game developed by Grezzo.
- Have English voice acting for all of the characters (excluding Inkling Girl).
- Feature the ranking meter in Arcade Mode where the player recieves a grade at the end of this mode.
- Feature alternate DLC character costumes for each character.
- Feature exclusive characters (such as Suigintou, Ladybug and Princess Peach).
- Feature Ghost Battle mode (similar to some of Bandai Namco's Tekken fighting video games) where it can be found in the Main Menu.
- Feature the Shop where it can be found in the Main Menu.
- The PC-98 DLC costume pack contains alternate costumes for the characters who first appear in the past PC-98 games (for Reimu Hakurei, Marisa Kirisame, Mima, Orange, Kurumi, Shinki and Alice Margatroid).
- The Scarlet Devil Embodiment DLC costume pack contains alternate costumes for the characters who appear in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil (for Rumia, Cirno, Hong Meiling, Patchouli Knowledge, Sakuya Izayoi, Remilia Scarlet and Flandre Scarlet).
- The Imperishable Night DLC costume pack contains alternate costumes for the characters who appear in that game of the same name as that DLC costume pack (for Wriggle Nightbug, Mystia Lorelei, Reisen Udongein Inaba, Eirin Yagokoro, Kaguya Houraisan and Fujiwara no Moku).
- The Flower Power DLC costume pack contains alternate costumes for the characters who appear in Perfect Cherry Blossom, Immaterial and Missing Power and Phantasmagoria of Flower View (for Youmu Konpaku, Yuyuko Saigyouji, Yukari Yakumo, Ran Yakumo, Suika Ibuki, Aya Shameimaru, Komachi Onozuka and Eiki Shiki, Yamaxanadu).
- The Hisoutensoku DLC costume pack contains alternate costumes for the characters who appear in Mountain of Faith, Scarlet Weather Rhapsody and Subterranean Animism (for Nitori Kawashiro, Sanae Kochiya, Suwako Moriya, Iku Nagae, Tenshi Hinanawi, Yuugi Hoshiguma, Satori Komeiji, Koishi Komeiji and Utsuho Reiuji).
- The Urban Legends DLC costume pack contains alternate costumes for the characters who appear in Undefined Fantastic Object, Ten Desires, Hopeless Masquerade, Double Dealing Character and Urban Legend in Limbo (for Kogasa Tatara, Ichirin Kumoi, Byakuren Hijiri, Mononobe no Futo, Toyosatomimi no Miko, Mamizou Futatsuiwa, Hata no Kokoro, Shinmyoumaru Sukuna, Sumireko Usami and Kasen Ibaraki).
- The Sacred Legacy DLC costume pack contains alternate costumes for the characters who appear in Legacy in Lunatic Kingdom, Antinomy of Common Flowers and Hidden Star in Four Seasons (for Doremy Sweet, Clownpiece, Junko, Joon Yorigami, Shion Yorigami and Eternity Larva)
- When purchasing DLC characters, they each come with their own alternate costume.
- Each of the following DLC costume packs cost $2.99 on each video game platform.
- The full DLC costume pack contains all of the DLC costume packs which costs $14.99.
- As of November 8, 2019, the "Super" costume pack was announced for each group of characters in their own DLC costume pack costs $2.99. This costume pack involves all characters in their ball gowns and animal costumes based on a bunny, cat and fox. This full costume pack costs $14.99.