|The Walking Dead: Above and Below|
|Created by||Ifan Barber and Scott M Gimple|
|Opening Theme||The Walking Dead Theme (Above and Below Remix)|
|Location||New York, NY|
|Country Of Origin||United States of America|
|Number Of Episodes||48|
|Running Time||30 minutes|
|Original Air Date||November 1st 2020 - present|
|Produced by||AMC Studios|
In January 2021, the series was renewed for a second and third season. In October 2021, a fourth season was ordered. Each season comprises of 12 half-hour episodes.
Set in New York City, the series follows two tribes of survivors in the decade following the zombie apocalypse featured in the preceding three series set in this universe. One tribe, which is based in the tunnels of the New York City subway system, is led by Brianna (Alison Brie), a former lawyer and drug addict. The other tribe, which is based in the upper floors of a former bank in downtown Manhattan, led by The Chairman (Morgan Freeman). The series focuses on each tribe discovering the existence of one another, and how hordes of decaying zombies are causing issues for their future in the city, while also determining how the two tribes can co-exist now that they're aware of one another.
Cast and Characters
- Idris Elba as Marcus, a dedicated father of three young teenagers who proposes an alliance with the below tribe.
- Catherine O'Hara as Helen, a former secretary in the bank, she is Silas Franklin's right hand woman.
- Ken Jeoung as Billy, an outspoken resident of the bank, he opposes an alliance.
- Morgan Freeman as The Chairman, the leader of the bank refuge.
- Mark Hamill as Silas Franklin, a former executive at the bank who questions The Chairman's position of power in negotiations with the below.
- Alison Brie as Brianna, a former lawyer before the apocalypse, she was trapped on a subway platform when chaos erupted, and hasn't left the system since, becoming the community's defacto leader.
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Claire, a mentally ill woman who is still, almost a decade into the apocalypse, struggling to come to terms with the loss of her husband and children.
- Timothy Olyphant as Michael, a chef within the subway community, and a confidant of Brianna. He tries to see the good in people, and when out on a supply run, discovers the existence of the bank.
- Gemma Chan as Elle, a former model who finds her calling as a teacher within the subway community, she joins Michael on the supply run as she enjoys seeing how the city is evolving without a human touch. She is the first person to notice the bank's existence.
- Jacob Tremblay as Oscar, a young boy who's known nothing but post-apocalyptic life, he wants to train to fight the undead.
- Kerry Washington as Sarah, a pregnant widow who arrives at the subway at an unexpected time.
- Donald Glover as Daniel, a supply runner for the subway tribe and a well-trained martial artist, he takes Oscar under his wing.
Many other voices are provided by uncredited supporting voice artists.
Each season of Above and Below consists of 12 episodes, each half hour. Since Season 2, two seasons have aired each year, one in the spring and one in the Autumn.
|1||The Pilot||While out on a supply run, three survivors who live below ground, Michael, Daniel and Elle, witness a plane crash into Central Park. Rushing to the site of the crash, and slaying any zombies in their way, they discover the crash has only two survivors, the pilot and his heavily pregnant wife. Elle and Michael quickly help them, and just as they slip into the nearest subway entrance, a group of survivors storm past, catching Elle's attention. She informs Michael to tell their leader, Brianna, that she is going to tail them, and Daniel agrees to join her.
When the pilot and his wife, who identifies herself as Sarah, arrive at the medical bay, it is revealed that the pilot is covered in bites. Without hesitation, a recently-arrived Brianna impales her knife into the pilot's brain, and has Sarah placed under quarantine.
Above ground, Elle and Daniel continue to tail the large group of survivors, and learn that they're based in a well looked after skyscraper in Downtown Manhattan, the former occupant being The American Banking Association. Daniel notes this is the first time another group has made themselves identifiable in all his time as a supply runner.
|November 1st 2020|
|2||Inspection||Marcus leads his squad of scavengers away from the site of the central park plane crash, baffled at the absence of a pilot. Returning the the bank, he is unexpectedly called to The Chairman's floor for a meeting.
Underground, Brianna is evaluating the situation with the two new arrivals, and seeks Michael's advice. Another situation arises when Daniel and Elle return and explain all about their recent discovery. Elsewhere, a resident called Claire talks with Sarah about her pregnancy, and promises to help her in any way she can.
Marcus arrives at his meeting with The Chairman, and is informed that his pack was tracked by two survivors outside of the bank refuge, putting the entire security of the refuge at risk. Another resident, the power-hungry Silas, catches wind of this news and spreads it across the refuge, generating a panic.
|November 8th 2020|
|3||Encounters||November 15th 2020|
|4||The Chairman||November 22nd 2020|
|5||The Zoo's Gate||November 29th 2020|
|6||Expect the Unexpected||December 6th 2020|
|7||The Man Behind the Mask||December 13th 2020|
|8||Heartbeat||December 20th 2020|
|9||Align with the Truthsayers||December 27th 2020|
|10||Principle Decision Making||January 3rd 2020|
|11||In This Dreaded World||January 10th 2020|
|12||We Carry On||January 17th 2020|