The Rage is a 1988 American Psychological Slasher Horror film written by Stephen King and directed by Terry Gilliam. A paradoxical prequel to the 1976 Brian De Palma Carrie and 1982 John Badham Carrie II. It concerns Carrie White's Grandmother Magdalene who is in assisted living, suffering from dementia, plagued by mysterious deaths that may be connected innate telekinetic abilities, a serial killer, demon or dark visitor from dire events to occur with her granddaughter. The original concept for Carrie II though King's treatment was dropped in favour of a more straightforward tale. It stars Christopher Plummer, Rosemary Harris, Pat Carroll, Harry Belafonte, Martha Plimpton, Sissy Spacek and Brad Pitt.
Released theatrically on August 18th, 1988 to mixed to positive reception and since been received as a cult classic.
At St. Pietro's Memorial Hospital in 1973 16 year old Ewan High school couple Cale Potter and Gabby Dennings let themselves in after visiting hours via a provided key. At reception they discover dry blood on the walls and roofs before being attacked by a cloaked, hovering assailant who telekinetically propels him into a wall.
The Dementia ward of Pietro's prepares for the family visit hour as ward supervisor Dr. Benedict Harmon welcomes on a new trainee nurse Raleigh Hockett. The last visitor to arrive is Carrie White
- Christopher Plummer as Dr. Benedict Harmon
- Rosemary Harris as Magdalene White
- Sissy Spacek as Carrie White
- Pat Carroll as Nellie Hemmingway
- Harry Belafonte as Charles Gibbons Sr.
- Eileen Ryan as Mabel Lettinger
- Martha Plimpton as Nurse Raleigh Hockett
- Brad Pitt as Orderly Charlie Anderson
- Alyssa Milano as Gabby Dennings
- Elizabeth Hoffman as May Walker
- Peggy McCay as Julianne Miller
- Ed Ames as Lionel McGuillacutte
- Jonny Lee Miller as Cale Potter
- Christopher Heyerdahl as The Hovering Cloak
- Cheryl Chase as Absalom