The PINY Institute of New York Movie (also known as The PINY Movie) is a 2020 Spanish/British/American animated children's adventure musical film. The film is based on the series and the Spanish toy franchise, Pinypon. The film was produced by Famosa Animation and Ánima Kitchent.
The film follows after the events of the second season when The Pinypons: Michelle, Tasha and Lillith, Julia, The Boys and Dory go on a new adventure and meet some new friends. In addition to the show's regular voice cast reprising their roles, the film features the voices of Ben Stiller, Idris Elba, Jim Cummings, John Cleese, Will Smith, Jennifer Lopez, Jada Pinkett Smith, Allias Salmon and Liev Schreiber as new characters.
The PINY Institute of New York Movie premiered at the Annecy International Animated Film Festival on June 12, 2020, and was theatrically released in the United States on July 25, 2020 and in the United Kingdom on August 7, 2020. The film received mostly positive reviews from critics, praising the animation, heartwarming plot, and music and it was a box office success, grossing over $528 million worldwide, against a budget of $80 million.
The film begins with The Indie Girls, Julia, Dory and the Boys (who are now grown up) are at the graduation ceremony, Madame Forbes announces that they deserve a vacation, the girls and boys celebrate as they pack their stuff for the plane, with Michelle's father James Fairchild coming with them. However from the Beautiful People's room, Rita is spying on the Pinypons and she decided to get revenge on them.
Meanwhile, as the plane takes off, Michelle Fairchild has a feeling that Rita might return and get revenge on her and the others, Tasha tells her to calm down and relax. Lillith and Dory decided to play some music on the plane, which causes it to crash at Canada, The Indie Girls, Julia, Dory and the Boys survived the crash, but are lost. Michelle and the others explore around the city where they meet a business man named Colin who agreed to help them. Meanwhile, Rita hires a bounty hunter to capture the girls. The heroes went to the zoo where they met an elephant named Brontos, a moose named Rebita and a rhinoceros named P-Dog, they escaped the zoo and took off as they meet a supermodel named Fenisha, who helped them and joined them. As they move on, Julia and Michelle decided to share some sister time together knowing that they could find their real parents together.
On their way, they end up in a city where they stumble upon a humanoid lion named Malko who becomes friends with them. Michelle, frequently haunted by the nightmare of her parents, awakes to find out that the bounty hunter and Rita and her cronies has tracked them. Malko tries to stall the bounty hunter and Rita and her cronies as the Pinypons flee on the van.
While escaping from the bounty hunter, the Pinypons came across a well-dressed man named Silas Worthington who will help them find the home of The Nelsons, which reveal to be Julia and Michelle's parents, they've been at the Yukon on their honeymoon.
As they reach the house, the Pinypons realized that nobody is home. Angry and frustrated, Julia accuses Michelle for bringing them into a wild goose chase, causing them to get into a heated argument. Infuriated at Julia, Michelle claims that she'd be better off without a sister, causing Julia to feel heartbroken and hurt. A guilt-ridden Michelle then decided to go alone after her friends abandoned her. Meanwhile as Michelle is trying to find the others and apologize, she was attacked by a bear, but eventually she was rescued by a couple which happen to be Mr. and Mrs. Nelson, Michelle was glad to see her real parents. While the other Pinypons are trying to find their way home,
- Erin Fitzgerald as Michelle Fairchild
- Erica Lindbeck as Lillith Henderson
- Cassandra Lee Morris as Tasha Robinson
- Amanda C. Miller as Madame Forbes
- Cristina Vee as Julia Cooper
- Kira Buckland as Rita Finucci, the main antagonist of the film, she is the new school queen bee.
- Laura Post as Dory Skornik
- Todd Haberkorn as William Bradley
- Kyle McCarley as Sam Ryan
- Ben Stiller as Colin, a friendly business man who befriends Michelle and her friends.
- Idris Elba as Brontos, a talking African elephant from the zoo who is a talented singer.
- Jim Cummings as Alphylis, an elderly wise cat who tells Michelle to guide the way.
- John Cleese as Silas Worthington, a well-dressed British man from the late 19th century who is very polite and has good manners.
- Jennifer Lopez as Rebita, a female moose who is the love interest of Brontos.
- Will.i.am as P-Dog, a rhinoceros who is good friend with Brontos.
- Liev Schreiber as Mr. Nelson, Michelle and Julia's biological father.
- Tara Strong as Mrs. Nelson, Michelle and Julia's biological mother.
- Jada Pinkett Smith as Fenisha, a sassy, but caring supermodel.
- Allias Salmon as Malko, a humanoid lion who may be tough, but good-hearted.
- Will Smith as Bronson, a hip-hop person who befriends Michelle and the girls.
- Ray Chase as James Fairchild, Michelle's adopted father.
- This film takes place after the events of "Coffee Girl".
- Ben Stiller and Jada Pinkett Smith appeared in the Madagascar series.
- In this film, Rita turned out to become more evil and more dangerous than in the series.
- In the rest of the entire film, the Pinypons wore their debut attire from the episodes Second Impressions, but with newer upgrades. They only wore the current attire at the beginning of the film and the poster.
- This also marks the first time Michelle has her hair down since the episode Fad In.
- This also takes place after the second season of PINY.
- This marks the first and only appearance of Michelle and Julia's true parents.
- Rita wears her debut attire in this film, but she still has the black bow and spiky wrist band.
- Stella Marie also makes an appearance in the film.
- All of the cast members reprise their roles from the series.
- PINY: Institute of New York Theme
- I'm a Song (Sing Along with Me)
- I'm Sorry
- Firework - Katy Perry
- Being Sisters Forever - Sia and Meghan Trainor
In October 2016, it was officially announced that The Indie Girls and the Beautiful People were to star in their own feature film.
The film was originally going to be called Julia : The Movie, but the title was changed, as the market research didn't like it. The first reported release date for The Trip Outside of New York was November 2017. Production officially began in March 2018, and the film was then set for release on 21 September 2020.
The film had its worldwide premiere on April 28, in Sydney, Australia. It was theatrically released in the United Kingdom, Hong Kong, and the United States on July 16 30, 2020. The film is accompanied by an Ice Age short "Diego the Babysitter".
P.I.N.Y opened in 3,645 cinemas and had an opening weekend gross of $16 million.
On Rotten Tomatoes, P.I.NY : The Movie holds an approval rating of 95% based on 180 reviews, with an average rating of 8.1/10. On Metacritic, the film received a weighted average score of 87 out of 100, based on 38 critics, indicating "universal acclaim." Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A+" on an A+ to F scale.