The Misanthrope is an American comedy-drama film that is based on the comedy of manners of the same name. The film is directed, written and produced by Drew Gars. It stars Logan Lerman, Ed Helms, Jeff Goldblum, Catherine Keener, Bella Thorne, Sami Gayle, Christopher Meloni and Amy Ryan.
19-year-old Wade Parker has no faith in humanity and has become misanthrope, isolating and alienating those around him. Fed up with his negativity, his parents decides to set him up with a self-help counselor named Malcolm Reed to spend a week with him to see how he is and if he make Wade a good person again. Along the way, we see flashbacks of not only before Wade was a misanthrope, but a dark, depressing secret that lead him into becoming what he is.
- Logan Lerman as Wade Parker, a young man in his 20s who has no faith in humanity.
- Ed Helms as Malcolm Reed, a self-help counselor and author who tries to help Wade.
- Jeff Goldblum as Gideon Parker, Wade's father and Sasha's husband.
- Catherine Keener as Sasha Parker, Wade's mother and Gideon's wife.
- Bella Thorne as Carol Sampson, Wade's old high school crush who he still likes.
- Sami Gayle as Eden Farris, Wade's best friend.
- Christopher Meloni as Dalton Farris, a police officer and Eden's father.
- Amy Ryan as Alyissa Farris, Eden's mother and Dalton's wife.
- Melissa Benoist as TBA,
- ??? minutes long.
- The film is rated R for language and sexual content.
- It will be distributed by Focus Features while being produced by IFC Films.
- This is Drew Gars's passion project.