The Lego Worlds Movie is a 2021 American 3-D computer-animated comedy drama adventure film directed by Chris Miller and written by Stephany Folsom, Miller, and Conrad Vernon. The film features the voices of Justin Timberlake, Keke Palmer, Brendan Fraser, Seth Rogen, John C. Reilly, J.K. Simmons, James Marsden, Joel McHale, Catherine Keener, Linda Larkin, and Jamie Lee Curtis, and centers on 16-year-old LEGO minifigure who unitentionally becomes a Super Builder who was destined to stop an fire wizard named Lord Ludicrous from unleashing his fully-weaponized SawCycle to destroy Brick Island. The film is an international co-production between Denmark, Australia, and the United States. The animation was provided by Animal Logic.
|The Lego Worlds Movie|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Chris Miller|
|Produced by||Gina Shay|
|Written by|| Stephany Folsom|
|Based on||Lego Construction Toys|
|Starring|| Justin Timberlake|
John C. Reilly
Jamie Lee Curtis
|Music by||Randy Newman|
|Edited by||Nick Fletcher|
|Production company|| DreamWorks Animation|
Lego System A/S
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
|Release date||December 2, 2021|
|Running time||112 minutes|
|Country|| United States|
|Box office||$1.449 billion|
The 43rd film produced by DreamWorks Animation, the film was released theatrically in the United States on December 2, 2021 by Universal Pictures. The Lego Worlds Movie grossed $1.4 billion worldwide, becoming the fourth highest-grossing animated film (behind Harry Potter, the 2019 version of The Lion King, and Frozen II), Zootopia 2, and the highest-grossing DreamWorks Animation film. The Lego Worlds Movie received positive reviews from critics, who praised its humor, animation, visuals, voice performances, and Randy Newman's musical score. It became the recipient of the inaugural Flamingo Award for Best Animated Movie and the seventh non-Disney, Pixar, Olaramore04, or Blue Sky film to win the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature.
Genie Girl, the leader of the Super Builders, fails to stop her nemesis Lord Ludicrous from obtaining the staff, and begins the Statement, a legend of a Super Builder bold enough to vanquish Ludicrous, destroy the weapon, and save Brick Island with the Gold. One day, a teenager named Matthew Greenwood finds the Gold and ends up arrested by the police. Their chief, Office Laura, is about to execute him, but a Super Builder named MetalGirl rescues him. Matthew and MetalGirl escape through a tunnel despite Matthew's protests.
Angered by Matthew's ordinariness, MetalGirl berates him for ruining the Statement. They eventually meet up with Genie Girl and another Super Builder named SkullSword, a pirate made out of bones. Matthew reluctantly agrees to train with Genie Girl, but the training is interfered with by Ludicrous' newly-invented Droids (led by Senior) who chase Matthew, MetalGirl, Genie Girl, and SkullSword toward a pit where a Super Builder named Laval rescues them.
When they arrive in the Super Builder hideout, Matthew befriends a dinosaur duo named Manny Ankylosaurus and Jimmy Tyrannosaurus. The Super Builders are unimpressed with Matthew when they learn about his ordinariness and order him to leave. Senior and the drones burst in and arrest the Super Builders, but Matthew, MetalGirl, Laval, SkullSword, Jimmy, Manny, and Genie Girl build a submarine to escape. Senior blows the submarine to smithereens, but the heroes resurface and manage to build a ship. Matthew becomes fond of his Super Builder friends and finds life as a Super Builder more fun.
Matthew and the Super Builders sneak into the Ludicrous Office Tower. Once there, Matthew's mother, Suzy Greenwood, tries to convince him to come home, but Matthew refuses. Disappointed, Suzy abandons Matthew and leaves the office tower. Ludicrous and Senior lock up the Super Builders, tie Matthew to a power source, throw the gold into an abyss, and head out to destroy Brick Island. Matthew escapes by falling into the abyss, saving his friends. The Super Builders sneak into the studio room, and MetalGirl convinces the citizens of Brick Island to build whatever they want. Chief Laura and Suzy come to help, having to have finally realized how much the Super Builders meant to Brick Island.
After falling, Matthew finally finds himself in the real world, where a dad scolds her daughter for ruining his stuff. The daughter is not fooled, picking up Matthew and the gold and sending him back to Brick Island. He builds a robot suit and fights off the attacking drones, including Senior. Matthew concludes that it is not necessary to label Super Builders criminals. Ludicrous refuses to listen and tries to kill Matthew, but Matthew puts the gold on the weapon, destroying him and all his drones. Matthew reunites with his friends, and Suzy reconciles with him. Matthew builds a new home for all Super Builders, and the father allows his daughter to play with the toys. Impressed by Matthew's loyality, Genie Girl hails him as her successor.
- Justin Timberlake as Matthew Greenwood, an ordinary and sarcastic teenager who becomes a Super Builder. Throughout the film, Matthew is commonly referred to as "the Best" by other characters.
- Keke Palmer as MetalGirl, a tough-as-nails Super Builder and Matthew's love interest.
- Brendan Fraser as Laval, a Legend of Chima who is a Super Builder and MetalGirl's boyfriend.
- Seth Rogen as SkullSword, a deep-rooted pirate skeleton with a Dutch accent who is a Super Builder.
- John C. Reilly as Manny, a hard-bitten and smart-talking Ankylosaurus who is a Super Builder.
- J.K. Simmons as Jimmy, a soft-hearted and gentle Tyrannosaurus Rex who is a Super Builder and Manny's best friend. Despite his size and appearance, he is actually a vegetarian.
- James Marsden as Lord Ludicrous, a mean-spirited, ill-tempered, and dry-humored fire wizard who plots to destroy Brick City and is the one who declared Super Builders to be illegal.
- Joel McHale as Senior, the objectionable commander of Ludicrous' newly-invented Droids.
- Catherine Keener as Laura, the stern, hard-hearted, boastful, cynical, and callous police officer who despises Super Builders and is the chief of the Brick City Police Department.
- Linda Larkin as Genie Girl, the guru of the Super Builders who chooses Matthew as "the Best" and her potential successor.
- Jamie Lee Curtis as Suzy Greenwood, Matthew's mother and a citizen of Brick Island.
- Trevor Long and Gwen Stefani as Kevin and Marlene, a firefighter couple who are Super Builders.
- Scott Menville as Shy Forest Warrior, a Super Builder.
- Joan Cusack as Paleontologist, a Super Builder.
- Spencer Treat Clark as Pachycephalosaurus, a Super Builder.
- Jennifer Salt as Pteranodon, a Super Builder.
- Anna Hutchison as Snow Queen, a Super Builder.
- Sam Neill as Werewolf, a Super Builder.
- Jeff Garcia as Chicken, a Super Builder.
- David P. Smith as Pig, a Super Builder.
- Jennifer Aspen as Old Lady
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Betty
- Chris Miller, Conrad Vernon, Danny Mann, and Derek Stephen Prince as Cops
- Frank Welker as Noji, the Greenwood family's pet cat.