The Last Scream (also known as Scream 6) is a 2023 American slasher film directed by Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyley Gillett and is written by Olpin, Gillett, Drew Goddard and Kevin Williamson, who conceived the story. The film is the official conclusion to the Scream franchise and a follow up to Scream (2022).
The film sees the return of Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox, Sophia Lillis, Judah Lewis, Melissa Barrera, Isabelle Furhman and Jenna Ortega who reprise their role from the previous film. The cast also features Alex Wolff, Ty Simpkins, Noah Schnapp, Bill Hader, Finn Wolfhard, Thomasin McKenzie, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Elsie Fisher, China Anne McClain, Brandy Norwood, Victoria Justice, Lulu Wilson, Eduardo Franco, Olivia Holt, Emily Alyn Lind, John Krasinski, Bailee Madison, Selma Blair, James McAvoy, Vera Farmiga, Zoe Colletti, Asher Angel, Elizabeth Banks, Ryan Phillippe and Patrick Dempsey who reprises his role as Mark Kincaid.
The film picks up a year after the previous film with Sidney enjoying the success of her new book as her high school reunion draws near while Casey Miller and her friends starting their senior year at Woodsboro High but tragedy rears it's ugly head as Ghostface returns to make his last stand with Sidney, starting a final massacre that forces Sidney and her old friends to save woodsboro and their children from Ghostface's reign of terror once and for all.
The Last Scream was released on June 16th, 2023 from Paramount Pictures to critical acclaim and becoming a box office success, grossing $467 dollars worldwide, breaking several box office records.
- Neve Campbell as Sidney Prescott
- Courteney Cox as Gale Weathers
- Sophia Lillis as Casey Miller
- Judah Lewis as Brandon Ross
- Isabelle Furhman as Amanda "Mandy" Meeks
- Jenna Ortega as Tara Carpenter
- Melissa Barrera as Samantha Carpenter
- Roger L. Jackson as the voice of Ghostface
- John Krasinski as Sherriff Andrew Himbry
- Alex Wolff as Benjamin "Ben" Himbry
- Victoria Justice as Deputy Marley Lopez
- Finn Wolfhard as Lucas Swanson
- Thomasin McKenzie as Lily Swanson
- Bill Hader as Jamie "J.D" Swanson
- LuLu Wilson as Zoey Kincaid
- Elizabeth Banks as Rachel Kirkland-Kincaid
- Patrick Dempsey as Detective Mark Kincaid
- Emily Alyn Lind as Bailey Kolchek
- Selma Blair as Karen Kolcheck
- Elsie Fisher as Jillian Evans
- Eduardo Franco as Lowell "Lolo" Lawson
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Melissa Peters
- Noah Schnapp as Jake Peters
- China Anne McClain as Shayla Robinson
- Brandy Norwood as Jennifer Robinson
- Asher Angel as Noah Carter
- James McAvoy as David Carter
- Vera Farmiga as Alice Davidson-Carter
- Zoe Colletti as Jessica Nichols
- Ryan Phillippe as Marcus Nichols
- Bailee Madison as Young Sidney Prescott/Lindsay Parker
- Ty Simpkins as Young Billy Loomis/Eric Howards
- Scream (2022) was originally was supposed to be the series finale to the franchise. When the film became a huge box office smash however, plans of a penultimate follow up were discussed and a few days later, Kevin Williamson decided to craft the film as both a legacy sequel and a series finale. He only wrote a dummy draft similar to what he did with Scream 2 as Guy Busick and James Vanderblit returned to write the film with The Cabin In The Woods director Drew Goddard polishing the script.
- When Neve Campbell read the script, she described it as a "very clever way to end the franchise. Everything about the film is very dark, brutal, smart and really violent. This is one Scream film that could end this franchise with a bang." She eventually signed onto the film.
- Sophia Lillis reprises her role as Casey Miller after initially turning it down for another film.
- Millie Bobby Brown, who played Madison Benson in the previous film, encouraged Finn Wolfhard and Noah Schnapp to sign onto the film after they see the original film, which they did. Wolfhard and Schnapp were cast in the roles as Lucas Swanson and Jake Peters.
- Lily Rabe was offered the role of Alice Davidson-Carter but she turned it down due to scheduling conflicts.
- Kevin Williamson was viewed the rough cut of the film and was so amazed over how it turned out with the majority of the ensemble cast and the film's unpackaging of the original 1996 film, most notably the flashback sequences.
- Patrick Dempsey signed onto the film to reprise his role as Detective Mark Kincaid after labeling the script as "a blood soaked but really gruesome way to end the franchise."
- Bailee Madison and Ty Simpkins signed onto the film in the roles of Lindsay Parker and Eric Howards along with the roles of Sidney Prescott and Billy Loomis for the flashback sequences.
- After working on M. Night Shyamalan's Old and Edgar Wright's Last Night In Soho, Thomasin McKenzie was hesitant about staring in another horror film but when she was offered the role of Lily Swanson, she initially turned it down but she changed her mind upon reading the script.
- For the end credits sequence, Lana Del Ray recorded an acoustic cover of The Cranberries 1993 hit, Dreams while clips of the first five films were used for the sequence.
- Production ran from July 21st, 2022 to September 25th 2022 in Wilmington, North Carolina.
- The Last Scream received critical acclaim from critic upon release for it's ending of the franchise, performances, screenplay and for it's nostalgic elements along with some thematic depth. The film scored a "Certified Fresh" rating of 95% on Rotten Tomatoes with it's consensus reading, "Pairing emotional thematics with some gruesome set pieces, The Last Scream is the true series finale to one of the most well known horror franchises in horror cinema and benefits from bloody deaths, powerful performances and 90's nostalgia that calls back to the one that started it all".