The Happy Abernathies is a 2018 American Family Drama film written and directed by Lasse Hallstrom starring Naomi Watts, Jason Bateman, Israel Broussard, Taissa Farmiga, Mackenzie Foy, Shia LaBeouf, Dylan O'Brien, Kathy Bates and Uma Thurman.
The film concerns a dysfunctional Maine family having to grapple with the suicide of a pivotal family member who was the foundation that kept them all grounded and now must find off the destructive paths each have taken in their different processes of dealing with his death.
The film was awarded with a Golden Globe nomination for Watts performance as the domineering, passive aggressive fairly psychotic obsessive compulsive mother.
Set in Whitford, Maine 1954 a local dysfunctional white picket fence family the Abernathies come to deal with the tragic suicide of the father: Luthor Abernathy who with an antique revolver given to him by his dad as a kid has proceeded to blow his brains out in the upstairs nursery.
His pregnant, obsessive compulsive, perfectionist, passive aggressive, domineering and superficial wife Helen dedicates all her time to ensuring the proper environment for her unborn child to come into though begins to break along the way secretly blaming herself for her husband's suicide.
Helen finds solace in a group of troubled youths from the bronx area of their neighborhood and in particular becomes drawn to a distraught 19 year old directionless youth George Solomon tasked with raising his 16 year old brother after their mother's murder by their abusive, alcoholic father who is now incarcerated and under suspicion for the murders of three of other women of the local area.
Teenage 18 year old son Kyle Abernathy falls in with a bad crowd of drug users and vandalisers who get him into trouble with the police and he finds his solace in a young, beautiful youth councellor Dr. Eden Rees.
Teenage daughter, Jocelyn Abernathy who has just recently turned 17 begins a string of sexual encounters with random older men whilst in the meanwhile destroying her good academic reputation which escalates into an affair with her married English Professor Weyland Morrison.
Jocelyn finds solace however in George Solomon's younger nice literary genius brother Patrick who falls in love with her, despite her reckless behaviour and compulsiveness getting him into trouble and both landing them in councelling with Dr. Eden Rees.
Luthor's live in brother Warren Abernathy who suffers from Aspergers Syndrome develops an infatutation with the Abernathies' new maid Clarence Bernadette who cares for him during his mental breakdowns and introduces him to her family of youngsters and as it turns out her son is one of the troubled neighborhood youths Helen Abernathy has extended an arm out to, and she and her family are poverty stricken and she has been dealing with the drowning her late husband Daniel and murder of her older brother Michael for 18 years.
The youngest Abernathy with the exception of the to come ultrasound announced boy Abernathy is 8 year old Judith Abernathy who has taken to an African American discriminated gay couple of painters Henry and Nicholas Foster desperately trying to sell out their wonderful work, which Judith assists in.
- Naomi Watts as Helen Abernathy
- Jason Bateman as Warren Abernathy
- Israel Broussard as Kyle Abernathy
- Taissa Farmiga as Jocelyn Abernathy
- Mackenzie Foy as Judith Abernathy
- Dylan O'Brien as Patrick Solomon
- Shia LaBeouf as George Solomon
- Kathy Bates as Diane Abernathy
- Sigourney Weaver as Alexis Abernathy
- Jesse Williams as Henry Foster
- Michael B. Jordan as Nicholas Foster
- Brittany Snow as Eden Rees
- Justin Chon as Hayao Miyazaki
- Martin Freeman as Professor Weyland Morrison
- Uma Thurman as Connie Morrison
- Alfre Woodard as Clarence Bernadette
- Peter Gallagher as Luthor Abernathy
- Little Things Mean A Lot- Kitty Kallen
- Chapel In The Moonlight- Kitty Kallen
- OH Mein Papa- Eddie Calvert
- I See The Moon- Stargazers
- Secret Love- Doris Day
- Have Mercy, Baby- Billy Ward & His Dominoes
- Night Train- Buddy Morrow & His Orchestra
- The Blacksmith Blues- Ella Mae Morse
- Heart and Soul- Four Aces
- High Noon- Frankie Laine
- Walkin' My Baby Back Home- Johnnie Ray
- Come A-Long A-Love- Kay Starr
- It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels- Kitty Wells
- Nlue Tango- Leroy Anderson & His Orchestra
- Meet Mister Callaghan- Les Paul
- Tiger Rag- Les Paul & Mary Ford