The Faculty is a 2018 American sci-fi teen body horror film written and directed by John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein and serves as a modern reimagining of Robert Rodriguez's 1998 cult horror thriller, The Faculty.
The film was produced by Jason Blum, Bill Block and Kevin Williamson who wrote the original film.
The film stars Chandler Riggs, Andi Matichak, Bella Thorne, Katie Aselton, Josh Brolin, Jessica Chastain, John Krasinski, Graham Phillips, Abigail Breslin, Joel Courtney, Sally Field, Kathleen Turner, Gina Rodriguez, Bill Hader, James Ransone, Molly Ringwald, Sydney Park and Shameik Moore. The film features a special appearance of cast members of the original film.
The film deals with a group of teenagers suspecting their teachers at their school are aliens after bizzare occurances involving an extra terrestial.
The film was distributed by Miramax, Blumhouse Productions and Netflix and was released on July 21st, 2018. The film was favorably embraced by critics and viewers alike for it's nostalgic elements, performances, writing and for it's callbacks to the original 1998 film while adding some elements of body horror to the material.
The film opens up at Herrington High School in Ohio where a vicious schoolyard fight is underway between a student and another named Tina Danhausen while a builied photographer for the school newspaper, Casey Conner takes a picture of the fight. The fight is then broken up by the intimidating gym teacher Joe Willis who sends the two bickering girls the principal's office. Tina and the other girl, Stokely Mitchell are then given an after school detention by the school's frustrated principal, Valarie Drake.
When school lets out, the girls spend detention with drama teacher Karen Olsen writing an essay as punishment. After awhile, Karen leaves to attend a staff meeting with Valerie regarding the school budget. After the meeting ends, Karen forgets to send Stokely and Tina home and heads back to the library but she gets attacked by an unseen force along the way.
Back at the library, Stokely and Tina argue about the fight and the reason behind the scuffle with Tina starting a rumor about Stokely being a lesbian to which Stokely hotly denies. Shortly after, Mrs. Olsen returns from the meeting seemingly unharmed and emotionless and sends Stokely home, which confuses Tina. When Tina asks about Mrs. Olsen's well-being, Mrs. Olsen suddenly stabs Tina to death with a pair of scissors emotionlessly as veins suddenly bulge from her skin.
Mrs. Olsen senses someone entering the school and finds Principal Drake entering her office due to forgetting her keys before ambushing her by stabbing the scissors through her hands which leads to a lengthy chase through the halls. Cornered in the school's art room, Principal Drake knocks out Mrs. Olsen as she erratically attacks her with the scissors. With Mrs. Olsen knocked out, Principal Drake attempts to flee but runs into Coach Willis who emotionlessly kills her with a paper slicer.
The next day, Casey delivers the pictures to the vain Delilah Profitt who is the editor in chief of the school newspaper and also a cheerleader. After delivering the pictures, Casey gets assaulted by Stokely for taking the picture and allegedly making a video of the fight on Youtube which Casey denies doing. Meanwhile in English Class, Mrs. Elizabeth Burke introduces a new student from Atlanta named Marybeth Louise Hutchinson who quickly makes friends with Stokely, much to her annoyance. She also falls for the charming but rebellious Zeke Tyler who is repeating his senior year and is selling illegal items including a homemade drug consisting of caffine among others.
Later on in the day, Casey finds a small worm-like creature on the football field and takes it to biology teacher Edward Furlong who labels it a mesozoan. Furlong proceeds to study the parasite in an oversized fish tank but the parasite suddenly bites him in the hand and slip into his flesh. Furlong tries to desperately cut out the creature of his forearm with a scalpel, with messy results involving him losing some blood and popping the parasite out of his arm. After getting the parasite out, Furlong tries to tend his bleeding arm but the parasite attacks again entering his body through his ear and taking over his brain, causing him to pass out.
Meanwhile, Delilah's verbally mistreated boyfriend Stan Rosado plans on quitting the football team due to Coach Willis's poor treatment of Stan and he also plans to dump Delilah after years of verbal abuse. While showering in the locker room, Stan is startled by Coach Willis who learns from him that he wants quit the team to which Coach Willis responds in a positive way by letting him go, making Stan confused.
While getting dressed in the locker room, Stan encounters librarian Agnes Brummel who starts to behave erratically by stripping off her clothes and warning him that they want everyone before giving out an inhuman wail as clumps of hair fall off her scalp and tells Casey (who happens to witness the event) to get help. Casey and Stan report the incident to Principal Drake (who is mysteriously alive and well) who tells the boys that Mrs. Brummel had a lot of heath problems and she was sent home shortly after the incident. During the conversation, Casey looks out the window to see Coach Willis standing in the football field stark naked with the sprinklers on.
- Chandler Riggs as Zeke Tyler
- Andi Matichak as Delilah Profitt
- Joel Courtney as Casey Connor
- Bella Thorne as Stokely "Stokes" Mitchell
- Graham Phillips as Stan Rosado
- Abigail Breslin as Marybeth Louise Hutchinson
- John Krasinski as Professor Edward Furlong
- Kathleen Turner as Mrs. Karen Olson
- Jessica Chastain as Mrs. Elizabeth Burke
- Katie Aselton as Principal Valerie Drake
- Josh Brolin as Coach Joe Willis
- Gina Rodriguez as Nurse Rosa Harper
- Sally Field as Mrs. Agnes Brummel
- James Ransone as Mr. John Tate
- Shameik Moore as Gabe Santora
- Sydney Park as Tina Danhausen
- Bill Hader as Frank Connor
- Molly Ringwald as Mrs. Connor
- Development on the film began in 2014 with The Weinstien Company distributing the film with their Dimension Films branch with Adam Alleca developing the script with Daniel Stamm attacted to direct but the film languished into development hell when The Weinstein Company filed for bankrupcy due to sexual assault allegations against Harvey Weinstien. The project was then greenlit when Miramax and Netflix took the rights of The Faculty from The Weinstien Company and set the remake on a July 21st, 2018 release date.
- Norman Reedus and Vin Diesel were considered for the role of Coach Joe Willis.
- Isabela Moner and Anya Taylor Joy auditioned for the roles of Delilah Profitt and Marybeth Louise Hutchinson.
- While developing a reboot to The Lost Boys (1987) for Warner Bros., John Francis Daley and Johnathan Goldstein delevolped the screenplay for The Faculty after they watched the original film. Goldstein stated in an interview: "The Faculty was one of those 90's teen horror thrillers that was somewhat overlooked or underappreciated over the years and when John and i watched the film on VHS, we can't help but fall in love with it. Sure the film can be smart, scary and pretty much ahead of it's time but it was a blast to watch. John and i decided to develop the script with a very different approach when we heard that Miramax and Netflix were in negotiations for a remake and they were impressed with our script and called it nostalgic but extremely scary and gut wrenching."
- Nina Dobrev was originally cast as Delilah Profitt but she dropped out due to scheduling conflicts with The Vampire Diaries.
- Kevin Williamson came on board the project after viewing the script as "A Cronenbergian gorefest that oozes with wit, nostalgia and respect for the original movie."
- Victoria Justice, Saxon Sharbino and Katelyn Nacon were considered for the role of Delilah Profitt
- Elijah Wood was approached by Kevin Williamson to reprise his role of Casey Conner but he refused and opted to do a cameo instead.
- Julia Roberts and Lake Bell were strong contenders for the role of Principal Valerie Drake.
- Judy Greer was originally cast as Miss Elizabeth Burke but she dropped out due to scheduling conflicts with Blumhouse's Halloween (2018).
- Logan Miller and Kenton Duty auditioned for the role of Zeke Tyler.
- Isabelle Fuhrman, Joey King and Bailee Madison were considered for the role of Stokely "Stokes" Mitchell.
- Dennis Quaid and Nichoals Cage were strong contenders for the role of Coach Joe Willis.
The Reviews of the original cast members of The Faculty (1998)
- The original cast members of The Faculty who played the six main characters voiced their opinion on the remake shorlty after it's release on Netflix:
- Elijah Wood (Casey Connor): It has been ten years since the original film was released and i had an awesome time on set at that time back in the 90's. As for this remake, it still has the heart of the original 1998 cult classic along with it's humor, wit and cleverness but it was comepletly different and more up to date. Aside from all of that, it was amazing to see the new Faculty film released on Neflix for a new generation and i loved every minute of it.
- Jordana Brewster (Delilah Profitt): I don't know why Hollywood wants to remake The Faculty to spite fans of the movie but they did a marvelous job on the material. I was working on Random Acts Of Violence when i heard that Dimension Films was remaking The Faculty, i was pretty angry at first due to some horror remake not being as good as the original but i realized that Dimension Films was filing for bankruptcy due to Harvey Weinstein's allegations of sexual misconduct with women. The remake was in very good hands with Neflix and Miramax and they showed me the rough cut of the film and i was blown away. Everything about the remake was almost completely different from the original Faculty and even showed the scene where my character now played by Andi Matichak being attacked in the faculty lounge closet by Coach Willis now played by Josh Brolin. That scene in particular was shown in TV Spots of the original movie. The remake was awesome, more gruesome and more smart than the original and shows that some horror remakes can be good and i loved it.
- Josh Hartnett (Zeke Tyler): The Faculty to me was a trip down memory lane for me since it was my second film worked on with Dimension Films after Halloween H20. Now that it's 20 years old, they're doing a remake of The Faculty and i was a little shocked that they were doing a remake of it. When Kevin Williamson called me about the remake, I came to the set of the remake and when discussed the script with me, I was pleasantly surprised when i found out that Blumhouse, Netflix and Miramax were behind the scenes. I was also surprised when i met the cast of the remake especially Chandler Riggs who just came off of The Walking Dead.