|The 2nd Lego Worlds Movie|
|Directed by||Andrew Adamson|
|Produced by||Ron Howard|
|Written by||Karey Kirkpatrick|
|Based on||Lego Construction Toys|
and Lego Worlds
John C. Reilly
Michael C. Hall
|Music by||Harry Gregson-Williams|
|Edited by||Tiffany Hillkurtz|
|Production companies||Universal Pictures|
Lego A/S System
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
|Release date||January 3, 2025|
January 17, 2025
(United States and United Kingdom)
June 6, 2025
|Running time||108 minutes|
|Box office||$614 million|
The Second Lego Worlds Movie (stylized as The 2nd Lego Worlds Movie) is a 2025 computer-animated comedy adventure film produced by Imagine Entertainment and Lego System A/S for Universal Pictures. Directed by Andrew Adamson and written by Adamson, Stephany Folsom, and Alicia Kirk, it is the sequel to 2022's The Lego Worlds Movie and the overall fifth and final installment in the Lego Worlds Movie film series following Lego Spy, The Lego Chima Movie, and SkullSword. Justin Timberlake, James Marsden, Keke Palmer, Brendan Fraser, J.K. Simmons, John C. Reilly, and Seth Rogen reprise their roles from the first film alongside newcomers including Lila Sage Bromley, Christian Convery, John Ortiz, Benedict Cumberbatch, Michael C. Hall, and Trevante Rhodes.
The film was released theatrically in the United States on January 17, 2025, and has grossed $614 million worldwide against a $145 million budget, becoming one of the most profitable releases of 2024. The 2nd Lego Worlds Movie received generally positive reviews, with critics praising its music, animation, humor, and voice acting, although its story was criticized. The film was nominated for Best Animated Feature at the 97th Academy Awards.
10 years after the events of the first film, Matthew Greenwood is now a SuperBuilder. He and his wife MetalGirl have two kids: six-year-old daughter named Elizabeth and a seven-year-old son named Jesse. Jesse is not afraid of anything and longs for an adventure, but Elizabeth is a little timid and somewhat bossy with him for his tendency to accidentally make messes. One day, a bird robot named Birdbot invades LEGO City and chases Matthew, MetalGirl, Jesse, Elizabeth, Yemaya, SkullSword, Manny Ankylosaurus, Jimmy Tyrannosaurus, Chief Laura, and the retiring Genie Girl. In the chaos, Birdbot destroys the statue Matthew built for the kids. They manage to build a plane and manage to subdue Birdbot, but crash-land when he shoots at the plane. Desperate to have his quest, Jesse spots a spaceship owned by Max Spacevest, an astronaut. Max invites them all aboard and easily bonds with with Jesse. Jesse promises to protect his sister no matter what.
While searching for Birdbot, Matthew, MetalGirl, Yemaya, SkullSword, Manny, Jimmy, Max, Laura, Genie Girl, and the kids make it to the Monkey Kingdom in a new realm: the jungle. Matthew and Elizabeth are nearly eaten by a carnivorous plant, but Jesse remembers who he passed the carnivorous plant level in his Monkey Kingdom video game and uses Yemaya's sword to save them, killing the plant in the process. They meet the Monkey king, Fur, whom Jesse recognizes from the game. Although distrustful towards Matthew, Fur welcomes him and the rest of the gang into his kingdom and befriends Yemaya, who is revealed to be Fur's long-lost brother.
During their visit, Fur's nemesis Muck challenges Matthew to a fight and easily beats him up. Faced with the duty of banishing the gang, Fur resigns as the king and throws the crown, causing him to lose his authority over the Monkey Kingdom. Muck takes over, banishes Fur, Matthew, and the gang from the kingdom. During their travel towards Birdbot's lair, Matthew learns of Birdbot's goal of capturing all SuperBuilders and turning them into space zombies.
Birdbot's minions show up to turn the group into space zombies, but stuntman Ron Kapow saves them. Inspired, Elizabeth begins to admire Jesse's heroic antics, and they fall in love. The group follows a stream in hopes of finding Birdbot. At the end of the stream, there are traps, but they narrowly avoid them. Much to their relief, they surface in a field near Birdbot's lair, but Elizabeth runs away after an argument with Matthew over the danger, saying he can't be a good father if he cannot listen to others, even his kids.
Birdbot's ballerina minion captures Matthew until he convinces her to stop capturing and to save SuperBuilders, and the ballerina is reformed. Birdbot turns the gang into space zombies. He makes Matthew seemingly a space zombie, but Matthew is revealed to have been wearing earplugs. He confronts him and smashes his magic wand to bits, saving his friends and family from Birdbot's control. He SuperBuilds a great white shark, which lands in the ocean and grabs Birdbot, killing him.
With their enemies gone, Jesse and Elizabeth reconcile, and the group departs back home and unites the realms in harmony. Elizabeth and Jesse share a kiss, Fur resumes his role as the ruler of the Monkey Kingdom, and Genie Girl hails Matthew as the new king of Brick Island.
- Justin Timberlake as Matthew Greenwood, a former stakeboarder-turned-SuperBuilder who is MetalGirl's husband and the soon-to-be king of Brick Island.
- Keke Palmer as MetalGirl, a SuperBuilder and Matthew's wife.
- Brendan Fraser as Yemaya, a warrior god, a SuperBuilder and MetalGirl's former boyfriend who resembles a monkey.
- Seth Rogen as SkullSword, a pirate skeleton who is a SuperBuilder.
- John C. Reilly as Manny, an Ankylosaurus who is a SuperBuilder.
- J.K. Simmons as Jimmy, a Tyrannosaurus Rex who is a SuperBuilder and Manny's best friend.
- Christian Convery as Jesse Greenwood, Elizabeth's older brother and Matthew and MetalGirl's optimistic but accident-prone son who longs for a quest.
- Lila Sage Bromley as Elizabeth Greenwood, Jesse's younger sister and Matthew and MetalGirl's daughter who is shy and is somehow bossy with him for his tendency to accidentally make messes with his imagination
- Benedict Cumberbatch as Fur, the self-proclaimed ruler of the Monkey Kingdom who is later revealed to be Yemaya's long-lost brother.
- John Ortiz as Birdbot, a bird-robot variant who wants to destroy all SuperBuilders.
- Michael C. Hall as Max Spacevest, an astronaut.
- Trevante Rhodes as Ron Kapow, Brick Island's greatest stuntman.
- Martin Starr as Muck, Fur's mean brother.
- Catherine Keener as Laura, the chief of the Brick Island Police Department.
- Linda Larkin as Genie Girl, a genie and the former queen of the Super Builders.
- Tara Strong as Ballerina
- Sarah Jane Cunningham and Suzie V. Freeman as Birdbot's minions
The 2nd Lego Worlds Movie opened on January 17, 2025, and $245 million in its opening weekend. It grossed $171 million in North American and $443 million internationally, for a worldwide total of $614 million.
The 2nd Lego Worlds Movie received generally positive reviews from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an 86% approval rating based on 225 reviews. The site's consensus reads, "The 2nd Lego Worlds Movie makes up for fun family entertainment, with colorful animation, refreshing humor, and an all-star voice cast, although its underimagined plot feels somewhat similar to its predecessor'. On another film review website, Metacritic, the film has a score of 69 out of 100 based on 37 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews". Audiences surveyed by CinemaScore gave the film a grade of "A" on an A+ to F scale, down from the "A+" earned by the first film.