Stars Wars: The Resurrection Trilogy is the banner title of a series of three films that serve as sequels to the original 9-part Skywalker Saga that was released between 1977 and 2019. It retains characters and plot-lines from the saga, and continues the saga's overlying themes, but tells the story of a whole new generation of the universe, including a new Jedi order fronted by the sequel trilogy's protagonist, Rey Skywalker (Daisy Ridley). Each instalment in the new trilogy is tied into the original saga by being branded as an episode in the saga, with the first being episode X, released in 2033, the second being episode XI, released in 2035, and the third being episode XII, released in 2037.
Plans for a fourth trilogy of Star Wars films were rumoured as early as when the production of the third set of films were announced by Disney-owned LucasFilm in the 2010s, however the films were put on an indefinite hold after the failed critical success of 3 consecutive films in 2017 (episode VIII), 2018 (Solo) and 2019 (episode IX). Star Wars movies took an indefinite hiatus that ended up lasting 3 years, with the next instalment in the franchise being released in 2022, followed annually with a series of moderately successful anthology films thereafter until 2028.
In 2029, it was revealed that Disney had greenlit a new trilogy of films set within the continuity of the Skywalker Saga, and continuing some of the surviving characters' stories, set for release across the 2030s, the trilogy would be known as The Resurrection Trilogy as it was set to focus on the rebuilding of the Jedi order under Rey Skywalker, it will take place approximately 35 to 40 years after episode IX and it has been confirmed that digital ageing and prosthesis techniques will be used on the cast.
- Daisy Ridley as Rey Skywalker, a Jedi Mistress and leader of the only publicly-known Jedi Order.
- John Boyega as Finn,a retired general of the Resistance against the First Order, he is now a secret Jedi Master, training a hidden order of young Jedi the way of the force away from the eyes of the New Galactic Senate.
- Oscar Isaac as General Poe Dameron, the leader of the Organa Trust, a military organisation that continues the work of the Resistance.
- Billie Lourd as Senator Kaydel Ko Connix, a representative in the New Galactic Senate acting on behalf of the Organa Trust. She opposes the Senate's attempt to control and limit Jedi ability and the Jedi population.
- Kellie Marie Tran as Rose Tico, General Dameron's second-in-command at the Organa Trust.
- Julianne Moore as Senator Kali Lay Bron, an anti-Jedi human senator from the planet Karamoon.
- Naomi Harris as Kila Bloom, a well-trained Jedi, and one of Rey's first padawans
- Benedict Cumberbatch as Senator Armand Detri, the son of a First Order general, Armand has severe anti-Jedi tendencies and as a senior member of the senate, does everything in his power to eradicate their existence.
- Jason Mamoa as Valour Ex, an intergalactic hitman who is sent by Armand Detri to target Rey.
- Jacob Tremblay as Wren Skywalker-Solo, born by the power of the Force through a mix of DNA of Rey Skywalker and Ben Solo, he is part of a new generation of powerful Jedi. He is a padawan of Rey Skywalker, his mother.
- Mckenna Grace as Luca Skywalker-Solo, born by the power of the Force through a mix of DNA of Rey Skywalker and Ben Solo, she is part of a new generation of powerful Jedi. At a young age, she was taken away by Finn to a secluded location along with many other Jedi to prevent a second Jedi eradication, as feared by Rey, her mother. She is not made aware of her identity until she is much older, and is unaware she has a twin brother in the form of Wren.
- Oliver Alexander as Oren Detri, the son of Senator Armand Detri who flees his family after showing force-sensitive tendencies, and becomes Rey's newest padawan.
- Matthew Iacono as Mordecai Blunk, a young force-sensitive who, through forbidden and ancient scriptures, learns of the legends of sith. His turn to the dark side is foreseen and an attempt to prevent it causes the reunification of Finn and Rey's Jedi orders.
- Lupita Nyong'o as Maz Kanata, a force-sensitive creature who serves as a guide to Rey Skywalker
- Bill Hader as B-B8 and C-F56, droids of the Organa Trust.
- Ben Schwartz as B-B8 and C-F55, droids of the Organa Trust.
- J.J. Abrams as D.O., Finn's personal droid.
- Stephen Fry as S4P4, Rey's personal droid.
- Carrie Fisher (Archive Footage) as Leia Organa, the force-sensitive daughter of Anakin and Padme Skywalker and the late general of the Resistance, the Organa Trust is named in her honour after she becomes one with the force.
- Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker, a Jedi master who is at one with the force and occasionally guides Rey from beyond.
- Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan Kenobi, a Jedi master who is at one with the force.
Episode X: The Fall of the Jedi
Episode XI: The Ascension of the Galaxy
Episode XII: The Resurrection of the Force
Lucasfilm confirmed in 2037 that Mckenna Grace, Jacob Tremblay, Oliver Alexander and Matthew Iacono would all reprise their roles in Star Wars: Rise of the Force, a Disney + televisions series continuing the events of Episode XII. After 5 seasons, Rise of the Force ended, but the cast reprised their roles again in Star Wars: JedI Adventures, which focuses on the more general activity of the Jedi order throughout the galaxy.