Speak is a 2014 drama film based on the 1999 novel, this films stars
The summer before her freshman year of high school, Melinda Sordino meets Andy Evans at a party. Outside in the woods, Andy rapes her. Melinda calls 911, but does not know what to say. The police come and break up the party. Melinda does not tell anyone what happened to her, and no one asks. She starts high school at Merryweather High School as an outcast, shunned by her peers for calling the police. She remains silent and sinks into depression. Melinda is befriended by Heather, a new girl, who clings to Melinda only to ditch her for "the Marthas". As Melinda's depression deepens, she begins to skip school, withdrawing from her parents and other authority figures, who see her silence as means of getting "attention". Only in Mr. Freeman's art class can Melinda express her inner struggle, as he shows interest in her artwork. She slowly befriends her lab partner, David Petrakis, who encourages her to speak up for herself.
Throughout the school year, the past unfolds and Melinda gains the strength to confront what happened to her. Melinda learns that "IT", Andy Evans, goes to her school. Eventually, she allows memories of what happened the night she was raped to surface. But she remains silent. However, when her ex-best friend, Rachel, starts to date Andy, Melinda feels obligated to warn her. At first, Rachel ignores the warning. Melinda tries again, telling Rachel that Andy raped her at the party, but Rachel does not believe her. As the school year comes to a close, Melinda decides she does not want to hide anymore. While cleaning out her hideaway (an old janitor's closet), Andy confronts her, accusing her of lying about the rape. When he tries to assault her again, she finds her voice and screams "no". She fights back. Using a mirror shard against Andy's neck, she silences him. As word spreads about what happened in the closet, Melinda is suddenly removed from her role as "outcast". Melinda is able to acknowledge and accept that Andy raped her. Melinda finally finds the words to say what happened. She speaks to Mr. Freeman.
- TBA as Melinda Sordino/A freshman in high school. At a party ofver the summer Melinda was raped by Andy Evans, a popular senior boy. She called the police and several arrests were made at the party, but she never told her friends or family what had happened to her. At school everybody recognizes her as the one that called the cops, and she scorned. Her middle school group of friend, the Plain Janes, abandon her, and she can't find a new group to fit into. She befriends Heather, a girl thatis new to the school, but she never tells Heather her secret. She walks around school going to her classes (and skipping them) and getting generally bad grades. She doesn't speak alot, only when she absolutely has to. The first person Melinda tells about her rape is Rachel Bruin, her ex-best friend. Melinda tells Rachel becasue Rachel is going out with Andy, and Melinda doesn't want her to get hurt as well. Melinda's conflicts are finally resolved when Andy confronts Melinda in her closet (an abandoned closet that Melinda had been using as her hiding place throughout the school year. Melinda screams and fights back when he attacks her, and the lacrosse team comes and helps to protect her from Andy. Rachel calls her house wanting to talk to her, and Melinda tells her secret to Mr. Freeman, after drawing the 'perfect' tree to complete her long-term art project.
- TBA as Rachel Bruin, aka Rachelle/Melinda's ex-best friend. She and Melinda were the best of friends in middle, but after the party Rachel refuses to be friends with Melinda. During the school year Rachel starts dating Andy Evans and Melinda tells her what happened at the party to try to keep Rachel from being hurt like she was. Rachel gets mad at Melinda because she thinks that Melinda's jealous that she's going out with Andy. Rachel realizes that Melinda wasn't lying when Andy feels her up at the prom. She pushes him away and goes to hang out with other friends. At the end of the movie Rachel calls Melinda to talk to her. Rachel over-reacted about the party. She didn't try to understand why Melinda called the cops. Rachel would have been better off if she had listened when Melinda warned her about Andy. Rachel is a mean person for most of this book. She feels that she is better than everyone else and cuts Melinda off when Melinda needs her the most.
- TBA as Heather/Melinda's first friend in freshman year. She was new to school and had no friends. Her goal was to become part of a group of girls called the Marthas. They are into fundraising. They decorated for dances and made advertising posters. Melinda and Heather are friends until Heather becomes a Martha. She tells Melinda that she's weird and that they are too different to be friends. She shouldn't have used Melinda in the beginning of the year. She was friends with Melinda while it was convenient to her.
- TBA as David Petrakis/Melinda's lab partner. He is also in her history class. David and Melinda become friends ofver the course of the year. David is really smart, and he speaks up for what he thinks is right. In one history class he calls Mr. Neck on being racist, intolerant and xenophobic, stares at the flag, then walks out. Melinda admires how he is able to speak out. David helps Melinda to realize that she has to speak up to be heard. After she presents an oral presentation by handing out copies of her paper and standing front of the class for five minutes David tells her that she's going about it wrong: "You can't speak up for your right to be silent."
- TBA as Ivy/A former member of the Plain Janes. She has art class with Melinda, and during the year they reconnect. Ivy agrees that Andy is scum, though Melinda doesn't tell her that he raped her. Melinda writes a 'guys to avoid' list on the wall of a bathroom stall and starts it off with 'Andy Evans'. Ivy takes Melinda back to that bathroom later to show her all the comments that other girls have added to it. All of them are in agreement.
- TBA as Mr. Freeman/An art teacher. He assigns the students in the class a project for the entire year. They have to picked a slip of paper from a kicked in globe. On it is a word, and that is their project. They have to make art using whatever the word the get is. Melinda gets the word tree. She spends all year making trees using different mediums. Mr. Freeman's art class is the onlu class she is passing. At the end of the year she finishes her project and tells Mr. Freeman about the events of the party.
- TBA as Andy Evans, aka Andy Beast or IT/A senior boy that raped Melinda at the party. The messages left on the wall of the bathroom stall by some of the girls indicate that he has tried the same thing with other girls as well. He was all over Rachel during one of the slow songs, but she pushed him away and walked off. When Andy confronts Melinda in her closet he calls her a liar, and gets mad at her for spreading rumors about him. He says that it wasn't rape because she wanted it. He either genuinely believes that or he's doesn't thinks what he did was wrong or he doesn't care. Melinda is finally able to fight him back and scream for help when he attacked her in her closet.