Scream originally titled Horror Movie is a 2026 American Slasher Horror film written by Ari Aster, John Erick Dowdle and Drew Dowdle, directed by Ari Aster starring Karen Gillian, Winston Duke, Elsa Pataky, Mackenzie Foy, Willow Shields, Jon Bernthal, Belle Shouse, Jared Gilmore, Auli 'i' Cravalho, Griffin Gluck, Yara Shahidi and Anthony Keyvan.
The film is a reboot of the Meta Slasher Horror series of the same name, that spanned four instalments over a course of fourteen years, and had a spin-off television series that ran on MTV and Netflix platforms from 2015-2018, a total of three seasons.
The overrall seventeenth instalment of the Horrorverse cinematic film universe, produced by original Scream series star Neve Campbell and creator writer Kevin Williamson.
Released on September 14th, 2026 theatrically and select IMAX theatres to positive reception and a box office success, grossing above it's budget.
Shooting took place in Fairfax, California and at Universal Studios, Florida which during production undertook the guise of Sunshine Studios, a nod to the fictional film distributor of the Stab franchise from within the original Scream film series.
After watching a YouTube video depicting a woman Abigail's murder by a 'Ghostface' costumed killer four teenagers, are themselves killed by an individual Ghostface killer.
The teenagers: Best friends LeAnne Carmichael and Dinah Prescott, Dinah's boyfriend Anthony and Anthony's best friend Bart are at LeAnne's while LeAnne's parents are out, drinking and playing 'Stab' film pranks on each other utilising the Ghostface get up.
After a threatening home phone line call Anthony is stabbed to death by a Ghostface after opening the front door. The remaining three attempt to escape through back of the house exits and Bart is thrown through the kitchen glass doors by another Ghostface. He is slashed by the glass and tumbles into the outdoor pool drowning.
Attempting a rooftop escape through LeAnne's room LeAnne falls over the roof and is held in place by Dinah. Dinah while trying to pull her back is stabbed several times in the back dying and dropping LeAnne to her death below. All the teenagers' parents arrive at the house with police discovering a blood written message in LeAnne's room reading: "What is your favorite scary movie?"
The next day at the victim group's high school of Woodsboro, California a media circus explodes on campus, headed by exploitative tabloid Top Story and their lead reporter Jane Howery.
LeAnne's former childhood friend and classmate Alex Campbell struggles with Jane who had previously wrote a blog expose on her parents' murder-suicide the prior year.
Her boyfriend Reynold, best friend Quincy, gay friend Dillon and visiting Windsor College tutor Teneisha Byron help her get through the day.
Alex's deputy older sister/guardian Anna is assigned the Carmichael House Murder case along with partner: Deputy Arquette who harbors a crush on her.
That night Alex is attacked by a Ghostface killer at home before Anna returns, and before Quincy and Dillon can arrive. She sustains a minor shoulder cut and is taken to hospital.
Released to school the next day Anna gets into a physical altercation with Jane on the quad.
After the school's curfew close Principal Henning is killed while adjusting a flat screen television in a classroom, as a Ghostface appears, slices the back of his legs and brings down the television down upon him.
Returning to her sorority house Omega Beta Zeta Teneisha is killed by a Ghostface, as when left alone one calls her and another upstairs (after darkening a hallway) stabs her in the chest, and rolls her down the stairs, impaling her throat on broken wooden railing pillars.
A memorial party for the victims of the beginning is hosted by student Gavin Lonsdale at his isolated estate, student journalist Dee Anton and her boyfriend Tanner elect to go to the local Rialto cinema instead and end up accidentally at a screening of Stab.
Tanner is stabbed in the restroom multiple times, stumbling out to his death in the foyer. Dee is killed via being cracked with a film camera backstage of the cinema screen. Principal Henning's body is then dropped before the cinema audience.
Quincy is killed in the garage as Ghostface causes the garage door to collapse on her, an ecstasy high Dillon is killed in the kitchen after kissing Gavin as Ghostface appears, stabs him in the back and cracks his head on the kitchen bench. Gavin is revealed as an accomplice.
A majority of the party-goers leave upon receiving notice about the Rialto incident. Alex and Reynold remain upstairs drunkenly losing their virginity to one another, Julie-Anne, Liu and Devon remain downstairs watching horror films.
Jane outside with her camera-man Dave in his van watching the party is suddenly stabbed by him revealing him as another accomplice. Anna and Dane are left to monitor the party alone as the other officers are dispatched to the Rialto, and Windsor College.
Julie discovers her ecstasy to be tampered with as Arquette stumbles into the house with a knife in his back. Ghostface attacks and with a Candyman inspired hook stabs Devon to death at the stairs. Upstairs another Ghostface in Gavin's room appears and slits Reynold's throat.
Julie-Anne and Liu save Alex from the room and downstairs come across an injured Anna, who suddenly shoots Liu in the head. Anna is then revealed as the lead Ghostface and Julie-Anne is also an accomplice.
In the kitchen Anna tells Alex that she killed both their parents, after discovering their father's statutory rape of an affair with Dinah Prescott, their mother's participation in such and their video blackmail of her, a video of her admittance to her mental breakdown provided by LeAnne Carmichael.
She implores Alex to join as the murders they have committed have been filmed and uploaded to the internet, ensuring a legacy. A still alive Jane crashes into the house with the news van and a still alive Arquette shoots and kills Dave. Alex rushes out the door pursued by Anna as Gavin and Julie-Anne disarm Arquette and attack Jane.
Jane is able to fire Julie-Anne's gun back off her through her chin, a loose ceiling fan is shot down by Arquette and Jane pushes Gavin in it's path.
Outside Top Story editor Tommy Jarvis appears, shooting and disabling Anna allowing Alex to kill her with a knife stab to the heart.
Post credits show Shaitan arrive at the crime scene unseen and take a Ghostface costume from Dave's body.
- Karen Gillian as Deputy Anna Campbell
- Winston Duke as Deputy Dane Arquette
- Elsa Pataky as Jane Howery
- Jon Bernthal as Dave Brown
- Mackenzie Foy as Alex Campbell
- Willow Shields as Julie-Anne Masters
- Belle Shouse as Quincy Laden
- Jared Gilmore as Dillon Minlan
- Auli 'i' Cravalho as Teneisha Byron
- Griffin Gluck as Reynold Mathers
- Yara Shahidi as Dee Anton
- Lucas Jade Zumann as Tanner Harlow
- Jackson Yee as Liu Wen
- Judah Bellamy as Devon Morrison
- Anthony Keyvan as Gavin Lonsdale
- Tony Hale as Principal Arthur Henning
- David Knoll as Bart Anderson
- Jaden Roberts as Dinah Prescott
- Saoirse Scott as LeAnne Carmichael
- Caleb McClure as Anthony Wylen
- Olivia Cooke as Omega Beta Zeta Danielle McCarthy
- Carlson Young as Head Omega Beta Zeta Finlay Abrams
- Katie Findlay as Omega Beta Zeta Nancy Caldwell
- Willow Smith as Omega Beta Zeta Halle
- Olivia Mell as Omega Beta Zeta Mary
- Dua Lipa as Stab Marissa
- Zendaya as Stab Ally
- Zac Efron as Stab Matthew
- Lindsay Lohan as YouTube Comic Con Victim Abigail Dunway
- The original Father Death Ghostface costume, designed by Tony Gardner returns here with only minor modifications
- Karen Gillan had made joke comments in 2018 regarding starring in a Scream reboot as the killer
- Lindsay Lohan had initially been slated to appear in Scream 4 (2011) with Paris Hilton in the Stab 7 roles of Rachel and Chloe, ultimately instead played by Anna Paquin and Kristen Bell
- Neve Campbell, Sidney Prescott of the original four Scream films and Kevin Williamson, the writer of the first, second and fourth original film produce the film, Williamson having written the story outline for Ari Aster and the Dowdles, having been a fan of Devil (2010) and Hereditary (2018)
- One of few Horrorverse instalments to feature only in a single time period: 2025-2026
- Quincy's garage death sequence is both a heavy re-imagining of Tatum Riley's garage death from the climax of Scream (1996) and Liz Stauber's party-goer in the parody Scary Movie (2000), where the garage collapses on the character
- The film within a film Stab was originally an appearing concept in the original Scream franchise, with the fictional Stab franchise being based on the film's actual murders and based off Gale Weathers' account The Woodsboro Murders
- Teneisha's sorority Omega Beta Zeta along with her university Windsor College, are locations prominent in Scream 2 (1997). Sarah Michelle Gellar had portrayed Windsor College and Omega Beta Zeta sorority sister Cici Cooper, who was killed by the film's Ghostface killer
- Olivia Cooke's sorority sister Danielle McCarthy opens the Omega Beta Zeta sequence sensing an intruder and with her brief investigation before leaving the house is met to set her up as the next victim of the film, she is also named for Halloween series actress Danielle Harris and Scream 3 actress Jenny McCarthy
- Willow Smith and Olivia Mell who portray Omega Beta Zeta sisters in the film are in fact the real life daughters of Scream 2 actress Jada Pinkett-Smith and Scream 4 actress Mary McDonnell, both who portrayed Ghostface victims
- The concept of the collective of Ghostface killers was originally an unused idea for Scream 3, by series writer and creator Kevin Williamson.
- Being part of the Horrorverse cinematic universe references to Michael Myers, Jason Voorhees, Freddy Krueger among others are done as real life killers and murders, the film's satire and meta references play to other unrelated films
- The Rialto Cinema is the same cinema utilised in the opening of Scream 2 (1997) which also was having a screening of Stab
- Continues the original franchise's tradition of celebrity cameos: Featuring Lindsay Lohan, Dua Lipa, Zac Efron, Zendaya, Willow Smith and Olivia Cooke
- First time in a Scream film to feature more than two opening victims with a total of four (plus the YouTube video death of Comic-Con entertainer Abigail Dunway)
- Jane Howery, her camera-man Dave and Deputy Arquette are specific character bases of Gale Weathers, Kenny and Dwight 'Dewey' Riley from the original Scream series
- Brimful of Asha (The Norman Cook Remix)- Cornershop
- Dooms Night (Timo Maas Remix)- Azzido Da Bass
- Hands Open- Snow Patrol
- Red Right Hand- FIDLAR
- Star Treatment- Arctic Monkeys
- Devotion (Carl Tricks Remix)- Bingo Players
- Come On Let's Go (Neon Stereo Remix)- Sidney Samson, Lady Bee & Bizzy
- Reveal- East & Young
- Cinema- Benny Benassi feat. Gary Go