Pauper is a 2020 American 3D computer-animated comedy film produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures. It is the 55th Disney animated feature film.
A young Princess Pearl shares a song with her mother the Queen Edna, which reprises into the present where at the age of 19 she passes away, leaving her by the determination of the kingdom for her to marry a Prince to unite her kingdom. Travelling from land to land Princess Pearl meets a bevy of vain and unsuitable Prince suitors. The last kingdom she is set for is the Britannica nation of Landor to meet with Prince Edward.
Prince Edward had recently fought and saved admired knight Kennedy who along with the Knights Templar had been locked in battle with the creature armies of the water demon Grindylow Don. Edward desperate to not be locked into betrothal and knowing his forbidden love for Kennedy, switches place with local peasant Tom Canty, a boy of the same age and striking resemblance.
Tom's controlling and harsh father with a vendetta against the kingdom receives the last amount of lifeforce of Don. Tom as Edward attracts Pearl and in return falls for her, but Edward's ailing mother Queen Adaline is struck with mutiny from Knights Templar soldiers the M: Mueller, Marash and Mort aid the superpowered father of Tom Count Tain in taking over the kingdom. He sets for the execution of Kennedy after Edward in his son's place is caught in song with him.
Edward as Tom brings Kennedy with Tom as himself and Princess Pearl to the Church of Saint Michael where Father Rives the Church's proprietor pastor delivers unto them his mystical creature sidekicks: Grendel, Pye and Bluecap who help the group take on Count Tain and the supporting knights at the kingdom, also rescuing the tower trapped Queen Adaline.
Count Tain is destroyed in his abuse of his hellish powers, which also fuses and disintegrates Mueller, Marash and Mort.
An unofficial secret wedding service is held at Saint Michael uniting Prince Edward ( who assumes Tom's identity) and Kennedy now the leader of the Knights Templar. They then come to the official large wedding between Pearl and Tom now living as Edward.
- Kit Harrington as Tom Canty
- Christopher Abbott as Prince Edward
- Florence Pugh as Princess Pearl
- Maggie Smith as Queen Edna
- Judi Dench as Queen Adaline
- Ralph Ineson as Count Tain
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson as Knight Kennedy
- Patrick Stewart as Father Rives
- Idris Elba as Grendel
- Tom Hiddleston as Pye
- Thandie Newton as Bluecap
- Doug Jones as Don The Demon
- Tim Roth as Knight Mueller
- Benedict Wong as Knight Marash
- Timothy Spall as Knight Mort
- Vanessa Redgrave as Maid Collette
- The first animated Disney feature film leading protagonist & Disney Prince to be gay in orientation.
- Disney had previously produced an animated Mickey Mouse led featurette entitled The Prince and The Pauper based on the same novel by Mark Twain.
- Along with their leading characters Tom and Prince Edward, actors Kit Harrington and Christopher Abbott actually bear large resemblance to one another.