Pandas! The Movie is a 2018 American/British/South African animated comedy adventure movie that was directed by Allias Salmon. It was produced by AlliasTOON Studios and 20th Century Studios.
Pandas! The Movie premiered on July 23, 2018, at the AMC Empire and was theatrically released in the United States on August 5, 2018. The film was universally panned by critics and audiences alike who criticized the script, humor, tone, blatant product placement, voice performances, lack of originality, and plot and it was a box office bomb. It was also noted for receiving a negative audience reception before it even premiered. Many also called it "unfunny, disgusting and a waste of time," and compared it unfavorably to Ice Age, Wonder Woman, How to Train Your Dragon and The Lion King. Even the film's director Allias Salmon didn't like the film, while the only thing that was praised was Dwayne Johnson, Common and Idris Elba's performances. This was most likely Hugh Keayes-Burnes' last film role before he died in 2020.
This was the final feature film to be produced by AlliasTOON Studios a year before its closure on April 2, 2019 due to the bad reviews it got.
- Dwayne Johnson as Allias Salmon, a 14 year old and the main protagonist (along with Toothless), Unlike the real life Allias, he is smart, athletic, he still likes protein, fruit (except tomatoes) and sugar foods, fatherly, generous, kind and fun.
- Kevin Michael Richardson as Toothless, a Night Fury and the main protagonist (along with Allias), he finally talks in the film, but has a few roars.
- Jeremy Irons as Po, a giant obese panda and the true main antagonist, He wants to become King and he wanted revenge on Toothless because Toothless won the award for the best animated Dreamworks Movie (along with the Croods, Over the Hedge and Madagascar). At the end, he got chainsawed and eaten by Diego.
- America Ferrera as Astrid Hofferson, Allias' daughter and the deuteragonist of the film, in the film she is pregnant. She is very sensitive, calm, kind, caring, motherly, weak, emotional and easily-upsetted. When Astrid's pregnant, she pukes when she's exhausted or feverish. Her teeth are so powerful and sharp they could bite into metal (except the door in Chorh Gom Prison).
- Angelina Jolie as Tigress, Shifu's master and Vitaly's mate.
- Bryan Cranston as Vitaly, a tiger and Tigress' mate. He speaks in a calm Russian accent, unlike Vitaly, he is a friendly and powerful tiger.
- David Cross as Crane, a bird.
- Lucy Liu as Viper, a snake who is Tigress friend.
- Jackie Chan as Monkey, one of Shifu's students.
- Seth Rogen as Mantis, a praying mantis who is Shifu's student.
- Dustin Hoffman as Master Shifu, a Master and a teacher. He got killed by Po.
- James Hong as Mr. Ping, Po's father, he got killed by Po.
- Tom Hanks as Li Shan, Po's true father, he wanted Po to kill him and Po happily stabbed him in the stomach.
- Jim Cummings as Ryan, a giant fat buttlicker and a prisoner who is friends with Mason price, they were Astrid's rivals when they were young.
- Tim Curry as Mason Price, a complete moron and a prisoner who poos himself.
- Cathy Weseluck as Spike, a dragon and Shifu's messenger who got prisoned by Po and freed by Allias and Toothless.
- Dan Fogler as Zeng, a duck.
- Danny Mann as Lord Shen
- Denis Leary as Diego, a sabre toothed tiger.
- Cedric the Entertainer as Tai Lung, a snow leopard who is now a gardener for Allias. Allias treats him like a gentleman.
- Cee Lo Green as Bungee, a brown grasshopper rapper who cares about human and mammal's feelings. He also cares for Astrid.
- Dennis Haysbert as Master Ox, an ox and the master of Kung Fu, he has a gay relationship with Master Thundering Rhino.
- Jean Claude Van Damme as Master Cuddly Sheep, a sheep who is a kung fu master. He loves apple pie.
- Victor Garber as Master Thundering Rhino, a rhinoceros and the master of Kung Fu, he has a gay relationship with Master Ox.
- Brad Garrett as Master Charging Elephant, an elephant who is the master of Kung Fu. He is loyal, kind, respective, heroic, caring, brave, serious and understanding.
- Johnny Depp as Pythor, a snake and Viper's boyfriend.
- James Earl Jones as Mufasa, a lion, he is the leader of the team. He likes eating dead pandas. Unlike Kerchak, he doesn't care for losing. He is the oldest brother of Great Prince, Kerchak and Trunkabee. He also treats Trunkabee like a son.
- Patrick Stewart as Great Prince, a buck and the smartest of his team, he is the adoptive brother of Kerchak, Mufasa and Trunkabee.
- Tracy Morgan as Kerchak, a silverback gorilla, he is the keenest of the team. He likes green tea with banana and peanut cookies, winning. Kerchak dislikes losing.
- Michael-Leon Wooley as Trunkabee, a Woolly mammoth, he is the largest of the team, he is also the strongest. He wanted to defeat Po because Po's species killed Trunkabee's mom. Despite being the largest of the team, he is the youngest adoptive brother of Great Prince, Kerchak and Mufasa.
- Nolan North as Stoick the Vast, a chief of Berk and Hiccup's father.
- Jay Baruchel as Hiccup, a 15 year old boy and Astrid's boyfriend.
- Zack Pearlman as Snotlout, a boy and Hiccup's rival/friend.
- Christopher Mintz Plasse as Fishlegs, an obese smart boy who knows all about dragons.
- Liam Neeson as Shere Khan, a Bengal tiger.
- Will Arnett as Wolf Boss
- Michelle Yeoh as The Soothsayer
- Kevin Bacon as Balto.
- Dan Castellaneta as Homer Simpson
- Fred Tatasciore as Leopard prisoner
- J.K Simmons as Kai
- Randall Duk Kim as Oogway, a wise old turtle.
- Scarlett Johansson as Nightshade, a female blue Night Fury and Toothless' girlfriend.
- Cate Blanchett as Valka, a woman and Mufasa, Kerchak, Great Prince and Trunkabee's adoptive mother after their parents died.
- Cree Summer as Stormfly
- Hugh Jackman as Hookfang, a monstrous nightmare
- Sean William Scott and Josh Peck as Barf and Belch
- Miriam Margoyles as Meatlug
- Common as Valka’s Bewilderbeast
- Idris Elba as Drago’s Bewilderbeast
- Richard Carter as Cloudjumper
- Craig Robinson as Skullcrusher
- Hugo Weaving as Boneknapper
- Hugh Keays Byrne as Red Death
- Gilbert Gottfried as Deathgripper
- Chiwetel Ejiofor as Master Lion
- Mona Marshall as Martha, a woolly mammoth at the award at the Jade Palace.
- Jack Angel as Orangutan prisoner
- Rupert Everett as Tiger prisoner
- Frank Walker as animal noises
The first teaser trailer for Pandas! The Movie was debuted in front of Warner Bros. new film Wonder Woman, which was released in theatres on June 2, 2017. The same teaser trailer will be theatrically debuted in front of Cars 3, Despicable Me 3, Captain Underpants, The Lego Ninjago Movie and The Star. The second full teaser trailer was debuted on October 6, 2017 which will be shown theatrically in front of My Little Pony: The Movie.
Fox released the first trailer in front of Ferdinand and The Greatest Showman in December 2017 which both films were made by Fox and the second trailer will be shown in front of Sherlock Gnomes, A Wrinkle in Time, Ready Player One and Avengers: Infinity War which was released in April. The final third trailer will be debuted in front of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom which was released on June 2018 and Smallfoot which will be released on September 21, 2018.
The film was released in theaters in the United States on July 23, 2018, by Fox and became generally available on November 21, 2018. The film was released in 3D.
- Diego, Vitaly and Tigress are actually tigers.
- The film was composed by Hans Zimmer and Mark Mancina, who did The Lion King, Tarzan and Brother Bear, Alan Silvestri, who did the Avengers, The Croods, The Wild, Lilo & Stitch and The Polar Express and James Newton Howard, who did Dinosaur, King Kong and RV. Zimmer had worked with Mancina in Where Sleeping Dogs Lie and Zimmer also worked with Howard in The Dark Knight films.
- Bryan Cranston was excited about the release of this movie.
- James Newton Howard (the composer of Dinosaur, RV and King Kong) will collaberate with Hans Zimmer who composed The Lion King, Mark Mancina who composed Tarzan, Mark Mothersbaugh who composed Ice Age : The Great Egg-scapade and Alan Silverstri who composed The Croods, The Wild and Lilo and Stitch.
- Though the film is set in the United Kingdom, China and Scandinavia, there are hippos, gorillas, giraffes, lions and mammoth participating in Trashing the Camp. In real life, mammoths lived in North America while hippos, gorillas, lions and giraffes live in Africa; thus, these animals are not native to China and Scandinavia in real life.
- At one point during the song, a mammoth and a bear resembling Manny and Kenai make a cameo.
- Trunkabee has the same design as the woolly mammoth from Brother Bear, but with dark greyish blue fur.
- This film contains strong language and gore (when Astrid puked blood).
- The tiger prisoner and orangutan closely resemble Shere Khan and King Louie.
- Master Cuddly Sheep has the same design as Fungus the sheep from Dreamworks' Dragons.
- In the poster of Pandas! The Movie, Diego was doing yoga holding a fork and spoon. But in the actual film, he doesn’t use it.
- Unlike Kai from Kung Fu Panda 3, Kai (in Pandas! The Movie) is kind, caring and fatherly.
- Originally Master Croc was going to appear but was cut, so Jean Claude van Damme was given the role to do the voice of Master Sheep.
- At the award at the Jade Palace, the people have the same designs from Disney and Non Disney films.
- When Allias goes "Awwww, Astrid.", he does it like Benjamin Clawhauser from Zootopia.
- The film was later brought up by Allias in Wild's Got Talent after Kara Danvers asked what movies he did and been in, Allias mentioned that he directed and he's been in Charlton Park : The Movie and A Girl Named Emma but he refused to talk about Pandas! The Movie due to the bad reviews it got.
- This film is similar to The Lion King, Ice Age, Wonder Woman and How to Train Your Dragon.
- Common records his part as Valka’s Bewilderbeast. Also, Idris Elba and Richard Carter also recorded their dialogue so the director hired a perfect spot.
- The fight scene between Toothless and Po were similar to the fight from The Lion King, where Simba and Scar fight.
- Released the same year as Rampage and Skyscraper, both films also starring Dwayne Johnson.
- Even though Master Elephant originated from India, his appearance is similar that of an African elephant due to the bigger ears and longer tusks.
- And though Master Lion is an Asiatic lion, he also bares the appearance of an African lion.
- Although the film has negative reviews, the only praising is the voice acting including Dwayne Johnson, Common and Idris Elba.
- This is also the last feature film that Dwayne Johnson plays Allias Salmon, as Allias states that he will be played by himself and possibly Donald Glover in future projects.
Pandas! The Movie was universally panned by critics and audiences alike. Several major outlets called it one of the worst films of 2018 and also the worst animated movie ever made in 2018. On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 1% based on 150 reviews, with an average rating of 1/10. On Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating to reviews, the film has a weighted average score of 1 out of 100, based on 26 critics, indicating "overwhelming dislike", and making it the lowest rated animated film of all time on the site. Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "F" on an A+ to F scale.
In addition to Pandas! The Movie, AlliasTOON studios also had plans for a sequel. In late 2018, the film studio's owner Allias stated that the sequel was cancelled due to the box office bomb and the bad reviews the film received.