Palutena (パルテナ, Palutena) is a playable character in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch. She was revealed in Super Smash Bros. 4 on June 10th, 2014 during Nintendo's E3 Digital Event. She is voiced by Aya Hisakawa in the Japanese version, who reprises her role from Kid Icarus: Uprising. Due to Ali Hillis being unavailable to reprise her role from Uprising, however, Palutena is instead voiced by Brandy Kopp in the English version.
In Kid Icarus: Uprising, the goddess of light uses telepathy to communicate and grants miracles to support Pit on his adventure. In Smash Bros., she has special moves like Warp and Heavenly Light at her disposal. She's very adaptable-you can customize her into a long- or close-range fighter!
- Palutena's special moves have a few distinct traits associated with them:
- Her special moves, custom special moves and Final Smash are based on some of the Powers she can grant to Pit and fighters in Kid Icarus: Uprising.
- She occasionally calls out the names of all but one of her special moves upon using them. The only exception is Reflect Barrier, with which she simply says "Reflect!" instead of its full name.
- Incidentally, she also does this when using her forward and down smash attacks in the Japanese version. In their cases, Palutena will occasionally say "God Wing" (ゴッド ウイング). Interestingly, a voice clip of her saying "Goddess Wings" exists in the English version. However, it is unused during gameplay and unavailable in the Sound Test for unknown reasons.
- She is the only character whose default moveset has both a reflector and a counterattack.
- She and the Mii Fighters are the only characters whose custom special moves are immediately available instead of being unlockable.
- Kirby has unused sound files that consist of him vocalizing all three of her neutral special moves. This suggests that either it was not until late in development that it was decided which would be Palutena's default neutral special move, or that Kirby was originally able to copy any one of her neutral special moves.
- Palutena is one of the few characters who can occasionally say something upon being KO'd instead of typically grunting or yelling in pain. In her case, she says "Oh no!"
- Palutena is the only character to be part of a Final Smash in a previous installment of Super Smash Bros., and a playable character in a subsequent installment.
- Unlike most characters, Palutena twirls upon hard landing, instead of simply landing on her feet.
- Palutena is the first character since Link in SSB to wield a shield at all times that does not protect her while idle.
- This trait is also applicable to Mii Gunner and Mii Swordfighter, but only while they are wearing the Proto Man, Hunter, Rathalos and Gil costumes. Unlike the Miis wearing those costumes, however, Palutena's shield is not entirely aesthetic, thanks to it granting her partial invincibility during her dash attack and back aerial.
- Palutena's defeated/No Contest animation depicts her wearing a brown sleeve on her left arm, a feature that is normally not present in her in-game model, instead of her left vambrace.
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch characters
|List of Characters|
|AiAi · Bayonetta · Bowser · Bowser Jr. · Captain Falcon · Charizard · Cloud · Corrin · Crash · Daisy · Dark Pit · Diddy Kong · Dixie Kong · Donkey Kong · Donkey Kong Jr. · Dr. Mario · Duck Hunt · Elsa · Falco · Fox · Ganondorf · Goku · Greninja · Ice Climbers · Ike · Inkling · Inuyasha · Jigglypuff · Justice · King Dedede · Kirby · Lana · Link · Little Mac · Lucario · Lucas · Lucina · Luigi · Marina · Mario · Marth · Mega Man · Meta Knight · Mewtwo · Mii Fighter (Brawler · Gunner · Swordfighter) · Mr. Game & Watch · Naruto · Ness · Olimar · Pac-Man · Palutena · Peach · Pichu · Pikachu · Pit · Pokémon Trainer · R.O.B. · Ralph · Reimu · Robin · Rosalina & Luma · Roy · Ryu · Sakura · Samus · Scott Pilgrim · Sheik · Shulk · Snake · Sonic · SpongeBob · Toon Link · Villager · Wario · Wii Fit Trainer · Wolf · Yoshi · Young Link · Zelda · Zero Suit Samus|