Mamma Mia! Thank You for The Music (released in the USA as Mamma Mia 3!) is a 2028 jukebox musical comedy film written and directed by Ifan Barber, from a story by Barber, Ol Parker, Catherine Johnson and Richard Curtis. It is a follow-up to the 2008 film Mamma Mia! and the 2018 sequel Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again! both of which, like the third instalment, feature music by ABBA. The film features an ensemble cast led by Amanda Seyfried, including Christine Baranski, Julie Walters, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth, Stellan Skarsgard and Cher. Both Meryl Streep and Jeremy Irvine return but in different roles to the previous film. The film picks up 15 years after the previous instalment in the franchise, with a now middle-aged Sophie dealing with the challenges of single motherhood after her split from an absent Sky and trying to build a relationship with her teenage daughter while maintaining the Hotel Belladonna.
- Amanda Seyfried as Sophie Sheridan, the owner of The Belladonna Hotel on the Greek Island of Kallikerri, which she inherited from her late mom Donna. She is Bella's mother.
- Christine Baranski as Tanya Chesham-Leigh, one of Sophie's oldest confidants and a dear friend of her mom Donna, she retires to the island with her best friend Rosie at the start of the film.
- Julie Walters as Rosie Mulligan, one of Sophie's oldest confidants and another dear friend of her mom Donna, Rosie also retires to the island with Tanya after leaving her on-and-off boyfriend Bill for good.
- Pierce Brosnan as Sam Carmichael, Sophie's stepfather and one of Sophie's potential biological fathers.
- Colin Firth as Harry Bright, a banker and one of Sophie's potential biological fathers.
- Stellan Skarsgard as Bill Anderson, a travel writer and one of Sophie's potential biological fathers.
- Cher as Ruby Sheridan, Sophie's grandmother and the resident entertainer at the Belladonna Hotel, retiring from her life as a Las Vegas performer as she enters her 80s.
- Meryl Streep as Trudy Sheridan, Ruby's sister and Sophie's great aunt, she is uptight and stubborn, but when she visits the island, Sophie and Ruby try and get her out of her shell.
- Jeremy Irvine as Zack Carmichael, one of Sam's estranged sons who travels to Kallikerri to reunite with his father.
Sophie Sheridan (Amanda Seyfried) is hard at work prepping for her daughter Bella's 16th birthday party the next month, but soon realises that dwindling tourist numbers and her recent divorce from an absent Sky has left her in a similar financial situation to her mother 20 years earlier (Money, Money, Money). She decides to draft in her Las Vegas performing grandmother Ruby (Cher) to help her keep things afloat, prompting Ruby to quit Vegas and move to Greece permanently (Chiquitita). Ruby retiring from Vegas gives Sophie an idea, and she contacts her mom's friends Tanya (Christine Baranski) and Rosie (Julie Walters) and proposes the idea of them moving to the island permanently as guests at the Belladonna, to which they enthusiastically agree (Summer Night City) and promise to both arrive within the week. Sophie is anticipating Bill to arrive with Rosie, but the couple have in fact been separated for some time (Knowing Me, Knowing You).
The following week, Ruby surprises Sophie by welcoming her sister, Trudy (Meryl Streep) to the island as one of Sophie's newly recruited retirees, but she instantly clashes with Ruby (The Day Before You Came). Hearing of Sophie's new arrivals from Sam (Pierce Brosnan), Bill (Stellan Skarsgard) and Harry (Colin Firth), pay the island a visit in the hopes of getting Bill to reconcile with Rosie (Take A Chance on Me, Mamma Mia!). But Rosie declines and tells Bill to go back to Stockholm and stay there.
As Bella's 16th birthday arrives, her only request is that her great-grandmother performs at the party, so Ruby takes the stage, with Tanya and Ruby in tow (Super Trouper). The party, however, the party is soon interrupted by Sam's estranged son Zack (Jeremy Irvine), who wants to know where his father has been for 20 years, despite only contacting him through email in the past (The Name of the Game). Sophie encourages Sam to talk to Zack in private, and she then surprises Bella with a fireworks display on the dock (Dancing Queen).
Stubborn and bothered by the noise, Trudy reports the party to the mainland police, and the party is soon shut down due to the complaints. Sam and Zack reflect on their time together during Zack's childhood (Our Last Summer) and Sam apologises for abandoning him years earlier, and invites him to stay on the island with him.
The next morning, Ruby confronts her sister (SOS) and decides to give her a makeover, with the help of Tanya and Rosie (Voulez-Vous) and after getting out of her shell, Trudy's inner cougar awakes and she heads to the beach bar (Gimme, Gimme, Gimme). Trudy then apologises to her nieces and offers to invest in the hotel's retirement development (I Have A Dream). Sam formally introduces Zack to Sophie and Bella, to their delight. Zack offers to help Sophie out in the hotel, and it's revealed he was a trained chef back in New York.
Six months later and flocks of OAPs are flooding to the island to retire in idyllic paradise, including Bill and Harry. Bill speaks to Rosie, who agrees to reconcile on the condition that they take it slow, as they're too old to rush (Andante, Andante). Sophie opens up to Ruby and Trudy about missing her mother Donna, even these many years since her passing and how she sees so much of Donna in Bella (Slipping Through My Fingers). Ruby cries about her daughter for the first time in front of Sophie and the three women comfort each other ahead of the Belladonna Retirement Community's official opening. At the ceremony, the women gather and perform a number together (Thank You For The Music) before being joined by the men for one final performance (Mamma Mia/Waterloo).
- Money, Money, Money - Sophie
- Chiquitita - Cher, Sophie
- Summer Night City - Tanya, Rosie, Sophie
- Knowing Me, Knowing You - Rosie, Bill, Tanya, Harry
- The Day Before You Came - Trudy
- Take A Chance On Me - Bill, Rosie
- Mamma Mia - Bill, Rosie
- Super Trouper - Ruby, Rosie, Tanya
- The Name of the Game - Zack
- Dancing Queen - Sophie, Ruby, Tanya, Rosie, Bella
- Our Last Summer - Sam, Zack
- SOS - Ruby, Trudy
- Voulez-Vous - Ruby, Rosie, Tanya, Trudy
- Gimme, Gimme, Gimme (A Man After Midnight) - Trudy
- I Have A Dream - Trudy, Ruby, Rosie, Tanya, Sophie, Bella
- Andante, Andante - Rosie, Bill
- Slipping Through My Fingers - Sophie, Ruby, Trudy
- Thank You For The Music - Ruby, Sophie, Bella, Trudy, Rosie, Tanya
- Mamma Mia/Waterloo - Ruby, Sophie, Bella, Trudy, Rosie, Tanya, Sam, Zack, Bill, Harry
The film was released on July 20th 2028, the 20th anniversary of the original film. It was well-received by critics and fans alike. Universal Pictures confirmed that Thank You For The Music will be the absolute final instalment in the Mamma Mia franchise, potentially ruling out a film adaptation of the 2019 companion stage musical, Waterloo.