|Nickname||The Eternal Understudy|
|Special Moves||Fireball (Neutral), Green Missile (Side), Super Jump Punch (Up), Luigi Cyclone (Down)|
|Final Smash||Poltergust 5000|
|First appearance||Mario Bros. (1983)|
|Voice Actor||Charles Martinet|
Luigi (ルイージ, Luigi) is a playable character in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch. His return in Super Smash Bros. 4 was announced during a Nintendo Direct on August 7th, 2013, which coincided with the announcement of Mario & Luigi: Dream Team and commemorated the Year of Luigi. Charles Martinet reprises his role as Luigi's voice actor, albeit via voice clips recycled from Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
Luigi recently celebrated his 30th anniversary with the Year of Luigi, but all that attention just made him even more shy and awkward. In Smash Bros., Luigi takes a lot of cues from his brother in fighting style, adding flair to moves like Super Jump Punch. His taunts, however, are truly unique.
- Traditionally, Luigi has always been an unlockable character revealed after an installment of Super Smash Bros. had been released. However, SSB4 is the first installment to break that tradition, as he was both revealed before release and is now a starter character, instead of an unlockable character.
- He was also the first of the original four unlockable characters to be confirmed for SSB4.
- Luigi's official artwork is based on his side taunt.
- Early in development, Luigi could wall jump. However, this was scrapped in the final release.
- The trophy description for Luigi in the North American version of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U makes a reference to Weegee, a popular internet meme. However, it could also be a reference to a number of games where he excitedly refers to himself as "Weegee".
- Luigi's All-Star trophy in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS resembles his Adventure Mode trophy from Super Smash Bros. Melee, albeit with a different costume. In comparison, his alt. trophy in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U resembles his official artwork from Melee.
- In Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, the "Luigi (With Poltergust 3000)" trophy is titled erroneously. The Poltergust that Luigi is wielding in that trophy is actually the Poltergust 5000 from Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, as shown by it having both a slightly different canister and the Strobulb equipped. This was fixed for the PAL region's version.
- Due to the fact that Luigi's head comes forward into the z-axis when he crouches, he can avoid certain projectiles that go behind his head.
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch characters
|List of Characters|
|AiAi · Bayonetta · Bowser · Bowser Jr. · Captain Falcon · Charizard · Cloud · Corrin · Crash · Daisy · Dark Pit · Diddy Kong · Dixie Kong · Donkey Kong · Donkey Kong Jr. · Dr. Mario · Duck Hunt · Elsa · Falco · Fox · Ganondorf · Goku · Greninja · Ice Climbers · Ike · Inkling · Inuyasha · Jigglypuff · Justice · King Dedede · Kirby · Lana · Link · Little Mac · Lucario · Lucas · Lucina · Luigi · Marina · Mario · Marth · Mega Man · Meta Knight · Mewtwo · Mii Fighter (Brawler · Gunner · Swordfighter) · Mr. Game & Watch · Naruto · Ness · Olimar · Pac-Man · Palutena · Peach · Pichu · Pikachu · Pit · Pokémon Trainer · R.O.B. · Ralph · Reimu · Robin · Rosalina & Luma · Roy · Ryu · Sakura · Samus · Scott Pilgrim · Sheik · Shulk · Snake · Sonic · SpongeBob · Toon Link · Villager · Wario · Wii Fit Trainer · Wolf · Yoshi · Young Link · Zelda · Zero Suit Samus|