Kain is a 2014 American horror slasher film directed by Samuel Bayer, written by Eric Heisserer, and produced by Michael Bay. It is released by Dreamworks and Platinum Dunes.
It is the first film in the Kain series. The story tells about eighteen year old Lori Stevens's life being threaten by a psychopathic killer Kain who shared a personal past. Michael Fassbender will star as the titular serial killer; Dianna Agron stars as Lori Stevens. The film will be released on August 17, 2014.
The movie met with critical praise and was a box office smash.
It is rated R for Strong brutal bloody horror violence and gore throughout, language, drug content and a scene of strong sexuality.
Lori Stevens has just graduated from high school and as she focus on college with the help of her aunt. Lori will be depressed as the fifteenth anniversary of her mother's murder is about to happen. Lori has been told by her Aunt Lorelai and other adults of the quiet town of Mireville that her mother was murdered by a psychotic freak with a half-burned out face. Lori wondered what happened to her father David, but everyone stays quiet. Lori decides to investigate her mother's murder with the help of her friends, but a concerned figure tells her to watch out for a monster. Lori and her friends will soon be targeted by that monster who is the one who killed Lori's mother...his name is Kain. Escaping from the killer, Lori will uncover shocking secrets of that night fifteen years ago. As Kain strikes against the townsfolks, Lori's friends, and Lori herself, Lori realizes she and him have a connection...Kain is David Stevens. Lori now must find a way to stop her own father before everyone she loves fall down including herself.
- Dianna Agron as Lori Stevens, the main protagonist; the center of Kain's killer quest.
- Michael Fassbender as Kain/David Stevens, the psychotic half burned-face serial killer who is revealed to be Lori's father. Kain never had the chanced to kill Lori fifteen years ago, but he promised he will come back to kill her.
- Sam Claflin as Henry Peters, Lori's boyfriend who is lovesick for her. He wants him to go to the same college with her, but his strict parents are not giving him any chance.
- Kat Graham as Alexi Maddox, one of Lori's best friends. She is a aspiring lawyer and wants to get a law degree. She almost gets killed, but Kain saves her only to kill her boyfriend Kasey.
- Michael Trevino as Jason Moran, Henry's best friend who feels like they are brothers. He sacrifices himself to save Lori, Henry, and Alexi when they try to escape from one of Kain's attacks in which Kain evisocates him and hangs him upside down.
- Ophelia Lovibond as Rachel Evans, she is Lori's cousin, Lorelai's daughter, and another one of Lori's closest friends. She gets severely injured when she faced Kain.
- Robbie Jones as Kasey Louden, Alexi's football jock boyfriend. He gets killed during a attack against Kain who slits his throat to near decapitation with his rambo knife.
- Heather Hemmens as Amber Decker, a friend of Lori's but gets brutally killed by Kain who slices her face off with the rambo knife while mimicking the same way how Lori's mother died.
- Ian McShane as Mr. Cameron Peters, Henry's strict father; he doesn't like his son with a female whose own family is keeping secrets from her. Peters knew David and Heather and tries to warn Lori that he doesn't want to see his son get hurt. He falls victim to Kain's renewed murderous spree in which Kain decapitates him with a meat cleaver.
- Melissa George as Lorelai Evans, Lori's aunt and legal guardian; Rachel's mother, and Heather's sister. She sacrifices herself to save Lori and Rachel from getting killed by David/Kain.
- B. J. Novak as Deputy Michaels, Vance's right hand and a loyal activist against a supporter group who has been claiming Kain as a cult hero.
- Patrick Warburton as Sheriff Vance, the local sheriff of Mireville. He is stern about the legend of the killer Kain and David Stevens' disappearance. He was the lead detective for Heather's murder, but during the fifteen years he was elected to be the sheriff.
- Laura Ramsey as Heather Evans-Stevens, Lori's mother who was killed by David fifteen years ago.
- Breanna Brooks as Young Lori Stevens, the three years old self is being hidden away with Heather and Lorelai in order to escape from David.
- "Devils" by Say Hi
- "Kill the Lights" by Britney Spears
- "Anna Sun" by Walk the Moon
- "Brand New Day" by Sting
- "Candles" by Hey Monday
- "Snake In The Grass" The Black Angels
- "No Light, No Light" by Florence + The Machine
- "Ho Hey" by The Lumineers
- "Day Will Come" by Keane
- "Beat the Devil's Tattoo" by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
- "Moves" by Gold Fields
- "Kain (theme)" by Brian Tyler
Kain is the first entry of the Kain series. Due to the sucess of the movie, The second film/sequel, Kain Returns is coming in August 2016. The third film/second sequel will be a prequel Kain Begins set to be out in 2018; A fourth film/third sequel, Kain Rises, will be out in 2020. A fifth film/final sequel, Forever Kain will be out in 2022.