Journey to Atlantis is a 2017 American traditionally/CGI/animated film directed by Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise, with co-directors by Roger Allers, Rob Minkoff, Andrew Adamson, John Stevenson and Mark Osbourne, produced by Don Hahn, Bonnie Arnold, Pam Marsden and John H. Williams and written by John Fusco and John Collee with screenplay by Tab Murphy, Jonathan Roberts, Irene Mecchi, David Reynolds and Noni White with additonal screenplay by Linda Woolverton and Butch Hartman
The film stars the voices of Michael J. Fox, Jack Black, Don Novello, Phil Morris, Claudia Christian, Jacqueline Obradors, John Mahoney, Corey Burton, and Rosanna Arquette. Other voices in the film were Cree Summer, Dustin Hoffman, Claudia Christian, Mark Hamill, Hugh Jackman, Ryan Kwanten, Hugo Weaving, Elijah Wood, Alicia Moore, Dennis Haysbert, Ben Kingsley, James Garner (his final film role), Jacqueline Obradors, Michael Shannon, Eli Marienthal, Brian Blessed, Ian McShane, and Jennifer Aniston and Harry Connick Jr. it features Ryan and his friends including, went to the Ulysses to go on Atlantis where they meet Milo for the first time. To save it, it takes two to these guys to take matters into their own hands.
It was premiered on May 26, 2017 in Chinese Theatre and released theatrically in 3D and IMAX 3D on June 2, 2017. This film is rated PG in the USA and UK for mild action scenes, strong violence, language and scary scenes. Journey to Atlantis premiered at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood, California, and went into general release on June 2.
It has negative reviews and it was a box office bomb calling it the worst animated movies of 2017. It was released and distributed by Walt Disney Pictures. Criticized for its performance, animation, plot, lack of originality, tone, racism, sexism, use of drugs and adult scenes despite the fact it was a Disney film, the only praising is the performances of Michael Shannon, Henry Cavill, Jason Momoa and Grey DeLisle and the ending of the film, due to the most expensive animation on the ending. The film performed failure at the box office, it was a big box office bomb, grossing a million budget almost. Due to the film's lackluster box office performance, Disney went bankrupt, closed down and lost its' rights of The Lion King, Tarzan, Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor, Hulk, Black Panther, Moana and Brother Bear to 20th Century Fox (which is now merged with Warner Bros Pictures).
This was Michael J. Fox's last film before his retirement. It was the final film of John Mahoney.
The film opens with Milo Thatch is working at the Smithosian. He meet the big boy Ryan Burke who likes pandas and of course dreaming of working at the noodle shop. Ryan and Milo introduce each other and the two friends started eating spaghetti together like Lady and the Tramp, then Superman arrives and beats them up in space and after that, Gordon Ramsay beats up both Ryan and Milo while swearing at them. Also, After his proposal to search for the Journal is rejected by the museum board, a mysterious woman, Helga Sinclair, introduces Milo to Preston B. Whitmore, an eccentric millionaire. Whitmore has already funded a successful effort to retrieve the Journal as repayment of a debt to Milo's late grandfather and recruits Milo to lead an expedition to Atlantis as soon as he deciphers it. Two friends meet a woman named Helga Sinclair, which, Ryan is awed hoping he would find a wife, but snapped out of trance. They meet Preston Whitmore, an old friend of Thaddeus Thatch and he plans to fund an expedition, although they were picked on and called dumb by Rockjaw the crocodile.
Ryan and Milo found two items in a present; A Shepherd’s Journal that his grandfather left and a book and a map that leads. Whitmore reveals that Thaddeus died many years ago because he died a broken man. After that, while they left, Preston Whitmore died of a heart-attack and his corpse was eaten by lionesses. Along the Way, he meet Hogarth who was a close friend to him. Apparently, they meet the Recess Gang, TJ Detweiler, Ashley Spinelli, Gretchen, Vince LaSelle, Gus and Mikey Blumberg.
Ryan invites his friends including Tigress, Viper, Crane, Po, Monkey, Mantis and a few others including The Recess Gang to go on the Ulysses. The recess Gangs names are TJ Spinelli, Mikey Vince Gus and Gretchen.. To see Milo, they met lieutenant Helga Sinclair and Commander Rourke, leader of the expedition and a close friend of Thaddeus Thatch, Milo began to have a crush on Rourke, but along the way, they meet Joshua Sweet, who Milo is a close friend to him rather than insulting him and Sweet is also like a brother to Mole which he is a companion he is also a Doctor, Italian bomber Vinny, French geologist Mole (who likes dirt), Spanish mechanic Audrey Ramirez, a cook named Cookie and radio operation Mrs Packard. also along with his other friends were, The Leviathan attacks and kills all of the sailors, these guys escaped as they trek into underground, but they fell into a trap where another colossus called The Red Lion Wildzord killed the Leviathan. The Red Lion killed every countless sailor, except Milo, the Furious Five, Recess Gang, Ryan and Hogarth, leaving them the very last of their crew. The Furious Five have a plan to find Atlantis with the gang.
During their journey, Milo and Rourke went on a date, killing Aquaman, having dinner like and hunting underground animals. After trekking into an underground cavern, the gang set up a campfire and tell stories about the past they came to an expedition. Audrey tells Milo the story of becoming a mechanic, and sweet tells Milo a story about after that, Milo and Rourke decided to have sex in Rourke's tent, with Milo telling Rourke to spit in his mouth and Rourke tossing Milo's salad.
Soon, the falling embers destroyed the camp, Rourke is killed but the crew got away. Milo mourned for Rourke as they were supposed to get married after the adventure and have kids. Helga takes place as leader leaving the group unconcerned. Without Rourke, the crew has no choice but to move on. Helga becomes extremely angered and abuses the crew for fun. Since Helga takes place as Leader, the new lieutenant were
When they arrive to Atlantis, they meet the bridge and met Kashekim and her daughter Kida. the group started explore all around, only for Milo to see that Kida is a mutated ugly Jokerized Atlantean creature. At Atlantis, Milo and his friends (except Po, Shifu and the Furious Five) were having an orgy.
Helga reveals her true colors, and Milo was shocked about it. Kida betrayed him and he misses his boyfriend Rourke because he risked his life to save the crew from falling embers. Helga plans to, Hogarth got chosen by the crystal and they decided to get him back. Milo berates his friends for betraying their consciences and ultimately convinces them to leave Rourke and remain in Atlantis.
To save Atlantis, in order to stop Helga, Milo, Cookie, Packard, Sweet, Vinny, Mole and Audrey worked together to save Atlantis. Cookie is nearly injured while Milo intercepts. The battle between Milo and Helga fight as Milo pushed Helga into the water in a great height and she drowned.
With Helga defeated and Atlantis saved, the crew said their goodbyes, but something is wrong. The Furious Five betrayed the Atlantis crew, the Recess Gang and Ryan, knowing that the heart of Atlantis is already draining power and that the Atlantis crew, Recess Gang and Ryan are nothing but cowardly idiotic pathetic annoying losers, so they took the giant flying mechanical fish and left the crew to die as Po, Shifu and the Furious Five returned to the Jade Palace in the Valley of Peace in China. And as for Ryan and Hogarth, they stayed with Milo, only for Hogarth to realize that Milo was responsible for the death of Annie Hughes.
Then Milo, Ryan and the crew realized that Helga was a distraction as it was revealed that Kida is the true mastermind behind the Leviathan and Helga, Kida reveals her plans to them especially her minions were that she is gonna destroy all of Atlantis and wipe out the entire human and Atlantean race. The Kingdom is under attack when the gang watched in horror as someone was chosen by the Crystal. The person that was chosen by the Crystal was. Kashekim is killed by Kida by punching him when he refuses to leave, Kida, has no choice but to kill her father. she threatens her race that if they interfere, she'll eat them. She also threatens to murder everyone if they try to stop her.
To stop Kida when Milo realizing that Kida was going to destroy the Crystal and plus planning to devour her race if they try to stop her, Milo rallies the crew, told the plan that if they save Atlantis, they will stop Kida and his friends along with Mole, Vinny and Sweet and the gang (excluding the Furious Five) to stop Kida. Encouraged by Sweet, Milo rallies the crew including the Recess Gang, Ryan, Hogarth and the Atlanteans to stop Kida.
The battle begins with the fight, during between Mole, Cookie, Packard and Audrey panning to fight the bad guys and ends with Kida being burnt alive by the crystal's effect as it melted and destroyed her entire body, muscle, organs and skeleton. However after they killed Kida, Milo and the crew were too late to save Atlantis and the Atlanteans from doom as they didn’t make it in time during it taking way too long during the battle.
The film ends with Atlantis being destroyed and exploded killing the residents, while by attacked by Giant Wonder Woman and the Atlanteans and the main characters including Milo and the gang got killed and eaten by a giant Wonder Woman/Diana Prince who just appeared from the future, after she ate them, she urinated and vomited all over the destroyed rubble of Atlantis, regurgitating the digested main characters and eating them.
The film also ends in the prehistoric times where the ape-men dance to Celebration while the mammoths, sabre tooth tigers and other animals join in as they were happy.
In the mid-credits, Blazagon appears and informs the audience never to watch Disney's Atlantis ever again, because it will scar them for life before saying goodnight.
- Jack Black as Ryan Burke
- Dustin Hoffman as Master Shifu
- Michael J. Fox as Milo James Thatch, a gay linguist and the main protagonist.
- Troy Baker as Kidagakash Kida Nedakh, Milo's former love interest and the true main antagonist.
- Eli Marienthal as Hogarth Hughes, Annie’s son who is orphaned by Milo. Marienthal’s unused archival recordings was used in the film. Pierce Gagnon fill in.
- Kelsey Grammer as Commander Lyle Tiberius Rourke, the former leader and Milo's true gay lover and soon-to-be husband.
- John Mahoney as Preston Whitmore, an old man
- Black also provides the voice of Po
- Lucy Liu as Viper
- David Cross as Crane
- Jackie Chan as Monkey
- Seth Rogen as Mantis
- Angelina Jolie as Tigress
- Tony Shalhoub as Audrey’s father
- Phil Morris as Doctor Joshua Strongbear Sweet, a doctor
- Jacqueline Obradors as Audrey Ramirez, a Spanish mechanic.
- Don Novello as Vincenzo "Vinny" Santorni, a bomber and an Italian expert.
- Claudia Christian as Lieutenant Helga Katrina Sinclair, a German woman and the secondary antagonist
- Sofia Vegarara as Audrey’s mother
- Randall Duk Kim as Oogway
- Corey Burton as Gaetan Molière, a French geologist
- Tress MacNellie as Packard, a woman operator (archive/unused recordings)
- Steve Blum as Jebidiah Allardyce "Cookie" Farnsworth, a cook.
- as Tj Detweiler
- as Gus Griswald
- Jason Davis as Mikey
- Ricky D Shon Collins as Vince, a kid.
- Pamela Adlon as Spinelli, a tomboyish.
- Ashley Johnson as Gretchen
- Gordon Ramsay as himself
- James Garner as Commander Lyle Tiberius Rourke (unused/archived audio recordings)
- Jennifer Anniston as Annie Hughes, Hogarth’s mother who got killed by Milo James Thatch.
- Harry Connick Jr as Dean McCoppin, a man
- Michael Shannon as Kashekim
- Common as an Ape-Man
- Dabney Coleman as Principal Prickly
- Imari Williams as Blazagon
- Frank Welker as The Red Lion
- Jason Momoa as Aquaman
- Grey DeLisle as Wonder Woman/Diana Prince
- Henry Cavill as Superman/Kal-El/Clark Kent
- April Winchell as Ms. Muriel Finster, the groundskeeper of Third Street School and a professional boxer / Mrs. Detweiler, T.J. and Becky’s mother.
- Allyce Beasley as Ms. Alordayne Grotke, a teacher at Third Street School who specializes in martial arts.
In January 2013, Journey to Atlantis has entered production. Andrew Adamson will be directing the film with Gary Trousdale, Kirk Wise, Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff.
The film will also be produced by Don Hahn, Bonnie Arnold (Tarzan), Pam Marsden and John H. Williams (Shrek) and the script will be written by John Fusco, John Collee and John Orloff with screenplay written by Tab Murphy, Jonathan Roberts, Irene Mecchi, David Reynolds and Noni White with additional screenwriting by Linda Woolverton and Butch Hartman, creator of Fairy Odd Parents.
All of the cast members reprise their roles. Cree Summer was very busy with Warner Bros. Animation and 20th Century Fox so she was replaced by
When Disney screen the film, kids, teenagers and adults were so expected to see the film.
Since the cast of Atlantis reprise their roles from the first two films (except Cree Summer) were Michael J. Fox, James Garner, Don Novello, Phil Morris, Claudia Christian, Jacqueline Obradors, Jim Varney (in his final role), Florence Stanley, John Mahoney, David Ogden Stiers and Corey Burton. New cast members were joining in were Jack Black voices, along with Dustin Hoffman, Rachael Taylor, Hugh Jackman, Hugo Weaving, and Ryan Kwanten leading the voices along with Elijah Wood, Alicia Moore (Pink), Ben Kingsley and others. Cree Summer, who voiced Kida in the first two, was very busy filming her shows.
Also, in February 11, Dwayne Johnson, Helen Mirren, Jordan Peele, JB Smoove, Jenna Elfman and all officially lending their voices in the film
Other cast officially confirmed, on March 8, 2013, were signing in the film were Joan Cusack, Abbie Cornish, Peter Dinklage, Geoffrey Rush, Nicole Kidman, Common, Richard Carter, Dan Fogler, Sam Neill, David Wenham, Rachael Taylor, Emily Barclay, Jay Laga'aia, Abbie Cornish, Emilie de Ravin, Ryan Kwanten, Anthony LaPaglia, Miriam Margolyes, D.B. Sweeney, Kiefer Sutherland, Christopher Lloyd, Julianna Margulies, Joan Plowright, E.G. Daily, Magda Szubanski, Harry Connick Jr and David Field.
James Garner, the voice of Rourke, died on July 19, 2014 so this film is dedicated to his memory. A day before, Henry Cavill and Michael Shannon, who was cast by Disney for the first time, officially signed in because the filmmakers loved their performance on Man of Steel. Tress MacNellie now voiced Packard and Steve Blum voices Cookie in the film. Kelsey Grammer and Clancy Brown joined in.
The Recess gang will be reprise their roles on the film were Ricky D’Shon Collins and Pamela Adlon.
The film was released in the summer of May 18, also, it was released in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Germany and India on June 2, 2017.
Journey to Atlantis was premiered on Odeon, Greenwich, and was theatrically released in the United States on July 1, 2017
The film’s UK British premiere of Journey to Atlantis was held at London, Greenwich, which children and adults attend the screening. Following the negative reviews of the film and a poor reception but poor box office sales, it features a theme park, but it was discontinued and destroyed because of the plot of the film was horrible. There is a video game that was based on a the film.
It was rated PG in the United States, United Kingdom and Australia for language, violence and sex references. Despite the film’s rating PG, Rourke tossing Milo’s salads and having an orgy, with strong swearing were fuck, shit, asshole and damn were used. Also, some f words were used despite this is a Disney Film. Also, the studio said that this scene including Milo and Rourke were having sex in the camp and the tent may terrifiy younger audiences which controversy to the audience and studio. Disney has to tone down the language and scenes.
The film was originally going to be released in 2015, but that date was move to 2016 to avoid competition with Inside Out and finally 2017 to avoid competition.
Before the film's release, reporters speculated that it would have a difficult run due to competition from Ice Age: Collision Course.
Journey to Atlantis had its world premiere at Disney's El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood, California on June 3, 2001, at Odeon Cinema in Leicester Square, Odeon Cinema in Greenwich, and a limited release in New York City and Los Angeles on June 8; a wider release followed on June 15
The film’s official first teaser trailer was debuted in front of Rio 2 and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. A second teaser trailer was released on June 13, 2014 and shown in front of How to Train Your Dragon 2, which was released in Theaters.
The full trailer was released online on November 4, 2014 and shown in front of Big Hero 6, which was released in theatres on November 7, 2014. The same trailer was debuted in front of Annie, Night at the Museum 3, Home, The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water, Fast and Furious 7, Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2, Minions, Ice Age : Collision Course and Moana. Ironically, both movies were rated PG.
Disney had previewed a test screening of the unfinished film in January 2015, months before the film finished production. Despite the film’s negative reviews, Disney prepare UK premiere at the O2 in London, with the screenings held by the cast of the film.
Journey to Atlantis was among Disney's first major attempts to utilize marketing. To promote the film, the film’s TV spots was aired around the world, and it was prompted by Burger King, McDonalds, Disney Stores and of course, product placements. Some toys, action figures, books and even albums were prompted by Disney.
The movie’s negative reviews and box office poor sales failure bomb, the date was delayed and McDonald's advertising campaign involved television, radio, and print advertisements beginning on the film's release date.
Following the release of the film, Jack Black stated that "he will be shooting Ryan Burke Adventures which comes out in September 2017 by Universal and Jumanji : Welcome to the Jungle which comes out this Christmas and so does Ryan and Dory’s Family and of course The House with Clocks In It’s Walls. Also, he was singing in the film The Return of the Burke-Man where he played the character.". He is ready to film his voice in Charlton Park : The Movie and The Return of the Burke-Man.
After the release of the film, Disney was shocked that the film bomb so the studio loses its rights to other films. Point is, A promotion was held in the film such as kids toys, dolls, action figures, video games, books and a few others. like Cars 2, it has negative reviews, but unlike Cars 2, it was a box office bomb.
Journey to Atlantis was released on DVD and Blu-Ray.
It was the lowest grossing film. Like Strange Magic and Jupiter Ascending, it was a box office failure, because it unperformed like Treasure Planet. This is the lowest grossing PG rated film for a box office bomb. Disney was so shocked that the studio was bankrupted and lost its rights to The Lion King, Brother Bear, Moana and Tarzan to Fox and Warner Bros.
Unlike the first two Atlantis films, Journey to Atlantis was not well received and it has tons of negative reviews stated that film is bombed.
Unlike Despicable Me 3 and Cars 3, it was having negative reviews and since Fox is merging with Warner Bros, Disney went bankrupted. Though, Disney has work its features like Coco and A Wrinkle in Time. Like Ice Age: Collision Course which both films were rated PG, it was the worse reviewed Disney film to have received like Cars 2. The reasons why the film bombed is because many reasons; false advertising, adult scenes and heavy usage of the "n" word in a PG movie. Also, it was beaten by The Fate of the Furious and Ryan Burke Adventures.
Ironically, Like Strange Magic, both films are rated PG and underrated. The box office weekend are a million like during its poor sales, beating Universal’s Despicable Me 3, Transformers: The Last Knight and Disney and Pixar’s Cars 3. Disney said that "Strong language has been used in every scene, so the kids won’t hear of this because his film is rated PG".
Journey to Atlantis was universally panned with critics by audience alike and with negative reviews. It was not as well-received, as it was met with mixed and negative reviews from critics and audience. It was on Metacritic being 14% and Rotten Tomatoes with the film being 7%. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 51% based on 309 reviews and an average rating, while Metacritic holds a rating of. Negative reviews stated that it was criticized by the fans of Disney saying that "Atlantis is the worst thing Disney ever made because Atlantis: The Lost Empire is a cult following while the film is worse than this, The Lion King, Tarzan and Brother Bear would these three movies that were made by Disney that would rather be distributed by Fox, just like Ice Age and Rio".
Other negative reviews include "Atlantis should’ve been rebooted, remake and retooled", Also, Disney fans never wanted a Kung Fu Panda and an Iron Giant character in the film, due to Kung Fu Panda being created by Dreamworks Animation and Iron Giant being made by Warner Bros. Also, The Atlantis fans also stated that Rourke should’ve been recasted like Fillmore in Cars 2 and Slinky in Toy Story 3. Mole is criticized "as the annoying piece of garbage". Also, The films negative reception stated that "Most of the dialogue, were weak and the voices, animation and songs are fun and the action is disturbing and horrifying." Some critics loved the characters, while some of them dislike them because Cookie is a goofy but character, Mole and Vinny. The film is rated PG, despite some strong violence and sex references.
The critics state that "Ryan and Hogarth are the worst duo since ever, it would be better that if Ryan became the villain and of course main antagonist in every film". The singer Common stated that "this film was so disgusting that everyone left the theater and vomited after seeing Rourke having sex with Milo and tossing his salad". He even stated that "he'd rather see Wonder Woman than that garbage".
Since the film would not feature any songs, the directors hired Hans Zimmer to compose the score. The film’s soundtrack was composed by Hans Zimmer with songs by a-Ha and others. It was released by Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records. The songs that were used in the trailer were
- Take on Me - a-Ha
- Gangnam Style - PSY
- Jump on It - Apache
- Anaconda - Nicki Minaj
- You Might Think - Weezer
- Celebration - Kool & the Gang
- James Garner’s final film role.
- Out of respect for Florence Stanley, the directors were so afraid, that if Packard was written out like Doc Hudson from Cars 2, there would be nothing so Packard has a voice replacement.
- Henry Cavill and Michael Shannon both starred in Man of Steel, this is their first Disney film together.
- According to Spinelli, these guys are going to Atlantis in the summer.
- Michael Shannon and Harry Connick Jr appear in Bug.
- The voices of The Recess Gang reprise their roles from the original show. Pamela Adlon as Spinelli, Ashley Johnson as Gretchen, and Ricky D’Shon Collins as Vince, but Max Charles, Raymond Ochoa and Pierce Gagnon now voices TJ, Mikey and Gus.
- This film is for Kids, teens and adults yet it features the scene of Milo and Rourke making out.
- Out of respect for Leonard Nimoy, Michael Shannon did the voice of Kashekim as a replacement due to his death.
- During the film’s box office failure, Disney said that "If the film did well, then that’s it. The studio who created these films have to tone down that language because children who came to watch the film. Because the makers wanted a DC character in a Disney film. Plus, Troy Baker did an amazing job playing the villain. The only redeeming quality is the voicing includes Dustin Hoffman, Michael Shannon, Jason Moama, Henry Cavill, Grey DeLise, Troy Baker, and Pamela Adlon, the ending and the party animals dancing to the song celebration. Also, I never wanted a non Disney character in a Disney film. Disney should’ve tone down the romance and it was rated by the MPAA because I never wanted a R film in a Disney family film. What if WB sign to Fox, then Disney would’ve sell the rights and it would be distributing Treasure Planet instead".
- The song Jump on It was also featured in the TV Spots of The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge out of Water.
- Final film of John Mahoney, before his death in 2018.
- Dustin Hoffman (Master Shifu), Claudia Christian (Helga) and Jack Black (Po) all born in August.
- The footage was moving the same shot each 10 weeks a day.
- The Lava Whales, The Land Beast and Lava dogs will all appear in the movie.
- James Garner, who voiced Commander Rourke, died at the age of 86 after finishing his voice work when he completed his lines the voice of the character Rourke during the sex sequence at recording session. The film dedicated to his memory. Following the premeire, James Garner never lived to see it happen because of his death. The filmmakers were tearful at Garner's performance with the actual last line "Time to toss your salad". He passed away after saying that line. Garner's dedication will be the end credits of the movie.
- Originally, Leonard Nimoy was originally going to reprise his role.
- Jack Black and Dustin Hoffman’s movie collaboration together.
- Michael Shannon was officially sign in the cast following his performance on Kangaroo Jack and Man of Steel as one of the characters in the film.
- The film takes place in the year of 2019.
- The film was directed by Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise, with co directed by Andrew Adamson, Roger Allers, Rob Minkoff, John Stevenson and Mark Osborne. Trousdale, Wise, Allers and Minkoff were in Disney involvement. The film was directed by
- This is one of the worst animated movies since Strange Magic and Cars 2
- The only animated film with negative reviews like Cars 2. Also, the only praising is the ending.
- The film was originally rated R but Disney decided tone the romance down which involves Milo and Rourke make out in the tent, and the scene where Milo and his friends were having an orgy, Disney remove the orgy scene because it was inappropriate for a family film and remove the sex scenes and tone down a bit which Disney and MPAA decided to make it a family friendly film.
- Wonder Woman’s first appearance in a Disney film.
- All of the voice cast reprise their roles including Michael J. Fox, James Garner, Don Novello, Phil Morris, Claudia Christian and Jacqueline Obradors. Also, Florence Stanley who voiced Packard in the first two films passed away in 2003, Leonard Nimoy died in 2015 and James Garner passed away in 2014 when he finished recording the dialogue character Rourke so they got recasted. Nimoy was originally going to reprise his role as Kashekim, but Michael Shannon replaced him instead. Tress MacNellie, Blake Clark, Michael Shannon who was cast following his performance on Kangaroo Jack and Man of Steel, Steve Blum, Clancy Brown and Kelsey Grammer join the officially voice cast.
- This is the first Disney film to have a PG rating, like Dinosaur, Atlantis the Lost Empire, Treasure Planet, Finding Dory and Moana. Also, like Moana, this film is rated PG in the UK.
- James Garner reprise his role as Rourke, but however, after he finished his lines, he died while finishing recording the falling embers sequence.
- Since this film is released in, the film takes place in the year of 2014.
- Originally, Milo and his friends were having an orgy, but Disney along with MPAA dedicated to cut the scene to tone it down as well. Also, The orgy scene was featured because Disney was shocked and angered so they decided to tone that scene down.
- In the posters, trailers, advertising, commercials, DVD covers, album covers, video games, TV Spots and toy boxes, Commander Rourke is a supporting character and he is still alive, but, however, in the actual film, he gets killed off making Kida a villain.
- John Powell was originally going to compose the score, but he left because of his schedule conflicts on the film because of his work on Ferdinand and was replaced by Hans Zimmer.
- Hogarth’s flashback in the film is very similar to Koda’s flashback.
- While recording, the line "Time to toss your salad" makes everyone laugh.
- The battle is very similar to the original film.
- The real antagonists in the film were Kida, Helga and of course The Leviathan.
- The fight between Milo and Kida’s fight is similar to Peter and Ernie the Giant Chicken's fight from Family Guy, the battle takes place at the volcano as it adds lots of blood.
- This film is a live action and animation mix since Looney Tunes: Back in Action. Both films are rated PG.
- Rourke was originally going to be a villain, but to avoid copying the original film, Kida is the main villain instead.
- The posters, cover art, commercials, trailers, promos, advertisement, and even the DVD cover stated that Ryan is the main character which is actually Milo.
- Unlike real life selves, Ryan and his friends are bigger.
- Although this film is a box office bomb and negative reviews, the only praising was the performances of Michael Shannon, Henry Cavill, Jason Momoa and Grey DeLisle and the end of the film with Wonder Woman and the animals.
- Wherever Cookie is voiced by Steve Blum, He has the same voice and tone as
- Originally, the film was going to be rated R, but Disney have tone down the scene so it could be rated PG instead.
- Mole is wearing his headgear during the expedition to Atlantis, but in some scenes, he doesn’t wear it. But later throughout the film, he wears it again.
- The score of the film is like a mix of Man of Steel and Kung Fu Panda.
- The song Jump on It by Apache was played while Milo and Rourke were beginning to make out.
- Andrew Adamson’s PG rating, the others were Shrek, Shrek 2, The Chronicles of Narnia and The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian.
- Despite the fact that it’s a Disney film and a family friendly, strong swearing was used, such as "shit" was use 5 times by Spinelli, "fuck" was used 100 times and asshole was used 4 times in the film.
- Despite the fact Kida is a female, Troy Baker is a male.
- The Recess Gang appears in the film, but their designs look different. TJ wears a red cap hat, but he doesn’t in some scenes. Spinelli is wearing a necklace. Gretchen lost her glasses during the escape, but she has it back.
- This film has the same tone as Atlantis: The Lost Empire, and a few other movies.
- The songs that were played in the trailer were Take on Me by a-Ha while other songs played in the TV Spots were Gangnam Style by PSY, .
- Production for the movie begin in 2013 and ended in 2016. Also, animation, voice recording and development were also ended in 2016.
- Packard smokes two times in the film.
- Originally, Warner Bros was originally going to collaborate with Disney, but Warner Bros. decided to make a permanent deal with Fox.
- At 120 minutes, this is the longest animated film to date.
- Since James Garner died recording the voice of Commander Rourke, Rourke’s voice actor was currently Clancy Brown. Brown was the voice of Lex Luthor from Justice League.
- Annie Hughes was featured on the film’s poster, but in the film, however, she is killed by Milo. Also, featuring on the poster were various characters.
- Eli Marienthal reprise his role as Hogarth from the Iron Giant, but he was too old so the makers use unused archive audio from the unfinished film. Marienthal’s unused recording was used in the final film, like Doc Hudson in Cars 3.
- The film was released in 2015, same year as Inside Out.
- The song Take on Me by a-Ha was used in the film because Andrew Adamson liked the idea so they decided to fit it in.
- The film is similar to Atlantis: The Lost Empire, but In a different kind of way.
- Out of respect for Florence Stanley, who voices Packard in the first two Atlantis film, Packard is now voiced by Tress MacNeille so the directors took over her voice.
- Cookie is voiced by Jim Varney in the first film, Steve Barr in the second film. However, Cookie is now voiced by Steve Blum.
- Although Rourke is the false main antagonist, the true main antagonist in the film was Kida.
- In the credits, this film is dedicated in the loving memory of James Garner,
- Like Space Jam and Looney Tunes: Back in Action, this film is a mixture of live action and animation.
- The actors recorded their dialogue during production of the film,
- The box office performance of Journey to Atlantis bombed because of the strong language and adult scenes in a children’s movie despite the film’s rating PG. Also, Michael J. Fox has finish his lines before his retirement.
- The film will be used in 3D. Also, the format were used in IMAX and IMAX 3D.
- The campfire scene is similar to Atlantis, but this scene is extended before Milo and Rourke make out.
- Like Shrek the Third, Cars 2, Kangaroo Jack and Scream 3, Journey to Atlantis has negative reviews, making it the worst animated film of 2017 unlike Fast and Furious 8 and Cars 3, it was also the lowest grossing box office, unlike Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur. The worst animated film along with Cars 2 and Shrek the Third.
- This film is rated R for mild fantasy scenes, mild language, adult scenes, comic humor and strong violence. Also, adult scenes were, despite this film is rated PG which is targeted at some audience which it frightened and horrify younger audiences, it features the scene where Milo and Rourke kissing and tossing Milo's salad and revealing they're gay, even the heroes having an orgy despite that it was a Disney family friendly film. This film caused a controversy of the studio and the audience.
- Released the same year as Beauty and the Beast, Cars 3, My Little Pony: The Movie. Also, this film, Beauty and the Beast and Cars 3 are Disney and family friendly.
- The many reasons why this film has negative reasons and box office failure. It also bombed because of many reasons; false advertising, sex scenes, which despite the fact this film is rated PG, which features a scene was Rourke tossing Milo’s salad, adult scenes and the usage of "n" word in a children’s movie. Also, one of the characters in the lead is supposed to be the star, and also drugs that were used in a kids movie. Disney should’ve tone that scene down for family audience and also, Disney was very shocked because the studio went bankrupted and Fox merged with Warner Bros as Disney lost its rights to his movies including The Lion King, Bolt, Brother Bear, Moana and Tarzan.
- The film’s teaser trailer was debuted in theatres in front of How to Train Your Dragon 2. Also, it was also debuted in theatres in front of Ice Age: Collision Course.
- The death of Kida was the most gruesome of all scenes as her organs and skeleton was showing.
- The screening of the finished film was held at the screening, It previewed audience filled with kids, teens and audiences.
- Andrew Adamson’s third Disney film, since The Chronicles of Narnia.
- The reasons why this movie bomb is because the box office failure of scenes of Rourke tossing Milo's salad, Rourke and Milo making out, Helga and Kida's gruesome disturbing deaths and the killing of Aquaman.
- The film was directed by Andrew Adamson, John Stevenson and Mark Osborne, who directed the DreamWorks films;
- This film is very similar to Atlantis: The Lost Empire, but it is very different; extended scenes, additional dialogue and various one liners were used that were absent in the original film.
- John Mahoney’s final film role.
- Annie's death was similar to the death of Koda's mother from Brother Bear as Annie was killed by Milo in the flashback.
- Disney had premiered the very early of a special screening that had screened the film that was targeted at PG family audience.
- Some death scenes are off screen and on screen despite the film’s rating PG.
- The film’s trailer was shown in theatres in front of Ice Age: Collision Course which is rated PG.
- This is Michael J. Fox’s final film before his retirement.
- Ryan, Milo and Hogarth’s relationship is similar to Meg and Peter's from Family Guy.
- Like the original film, this film is very similar and a parody of it.
- One of the PG rated movies that has negative reviews and a box office bomb. Also, despite this film rated PG, strong language and some sex scenes was used.
- Some fans like the first two Disney’s Atlantis films, but the new one has negative reviews and a box office bomb.
- The film has cameos in the film.
- Common, who provided the songs and the voice of a character stated that "The film is complete garbage and Rourke tossing Milo’s salad. I am so glad that the new Atlantis is gone for good".
- Blazagon from Heroes of Goo Jit-Zu appears in the film and breaks the fourth wall by telling the kids never to watch Atlantis because they will be scarred for life.
- The song Celebration that the ape-men and animals dancing was also used in the film.
- The animals that were dancing with the ape-men were sabre-tooth tigers, mammoths, hippos, giraffes, gorillas, elephant seals, hyenas, wolves, lions, shark, leopards, reptiles, deers, rhinos, bears, pigs, lemurs, meerkats, horses, zebras, buffaloes, bison, walruses, frogs and whales.
- At one point during the song, a lion and a boar resembling Simba and Pumbaa make a cameo.
- The animals that were dancing with the ape-men were sabre-tooth tigers, mammoths, hippos, giraffes, gorillas, elephant seals, hyenas, wolves, lions, shark, leopards, reptiles, deers, rhinos, bears, pigs, lemurs, meerkats, horses, zebras, buffaloes, bison, walruses, frogs and whales.
- All of the animals that were dancing in the Celebration music song resembles the animals from various Disney and Non-Disney films. The lions resembles Alex from Madagascar, the mammoths resembles Manny and the mammoth from Ice Age, sabre tooth tigers resembles Diego, Zeke, Lenny, Oscar, meerkats resembling Timon from the Lion King, wolves resembles, the hippos resembling Gloria and Moto Moto, bison resembling the Bisons from Spirit, hyenas resembling Shenzi, Banzai, and Ed, bears resembling Boog, Baloo, Kenai, Koda, Tug, and the bear from the salmon run, lemurs resembling King Julien, Maurice, Mort and the lemurs from Madagascar, rhinos resembling a rhino from The Lion King 2, gorillas resembling Terk and Kala, deers resembling Elliott from Open Season.
- Wonder Woman/Diana Prince will make an appearance with the design from DC Super Hero Girls (2019), though the show was released in 2019.
- Michael J. Fox and Jack Black both co-starred in Mars Attacks.
- The song Anaconda was used, it was heard when Milo and Ryan were eating spaghetti.
- Despite the film is a Disney family-friendly film and the film’s rating PG in the UK, USA and Australia, strong language were used such as shit, fuck, asshole and the "n" word. The word shit and fuck was used 10,00 times. It would’ve gotten a film a higher rating. The f word were used 100 times in the film used by Milo, Helga and Spinelli. The word shit was used 5 times and asshole was used by Spinelli.
- Although this film has negative reviews, the ending was also praised because all of the animals were happy and the Disney Atlanteans were finally extinct.
- The film was featuring comic violence, mild language and sex references.
- The theatrically animated film that was rated PG, along with the others were Kung Fu Panda, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Happy Feet, Looney Tunes: Back in Action and Ice Age. It was also rated PG by the BBFC.
- Grey DeLise was the first choice to voice Wonder Woman.
- Since the film bombed at the box office, Disney went bankrupt and since Warner merge with Fox, The Lion King remake was now a Fox/Warner Bros film, though Disney is still doing other films.
- The Leviathan makes a brief appearance in the film in several scenes.
- Voice recording began in 2013 and ended in 2015.
- During the Celebration scene, the animals have the same dance move as the animals from The Jungle Book 2 and The Lion King.
- Gordon Ramsey was officially joining in the films cast because, since his ranting and swearing had made everyone bust into laughter when he was ranting.