Isn't It Scary (stylized as Isn't It Scary?) is a 2011 American teen fantasy meta slasher film directed by Christopher Landon and written by M.A. Fortin and Joshua John Miller.
The film was produced by Scott Rudin, Sara Risher and Mark Radcliffe.
The film follows a young high school horror fan who wakes up to find her life styled like an 80's slasher film after wishing on a shooting star. With a killer on the loose, she has to save her friends and family from the killer while using her knowledge of horror films to good use to survive.
The film stars Aimee Teegarden, Daphne Zuniga, Johnny Simmons, Shenae Grimes, Ariana Grande, Aly Michalka, Kenton Duty, AJ Michalka, James Maslow, Shannon Kook-Chun, Daryl Sabara, Drew Van Acker, Haley Ramm, Britt Robertson, Logan Browning, Bryan Cranston, Ty Burrell and Derek Mears
The film was distributed by New Line Cinema and Warner Bros. Pictures and was released on September 23rd, 2011. The film recieved very favorable reviews from critics and audiences for it's quirky off-beat vibe, gruesome kills and also the cheeky meta humor. Isn't It Scary grossed $145 million dollars at the box office and was considered a late summer sleeper hit.
- Aimee Teegarden as Kisarah Sheraton
- Johnny Simmons as Steven Hobbs
- Shenae Grimes as Kandy Kane
- Kenton Duty as Devin Sheraton
- Daphne Zuniga as Judith "Judy" Sheraton
- Bryan Cranston as David Sheraton
- Daryl Sabara as Jacob Perry
- Haley Ramm as Bonnie Jenet
- Britt Robertson as Carrie O'Hara
- Aly Michalka as Hilarie West
- AJ Michalka as Anya West
- James Maslow as Carter Ludwing
- Ariana Grande as Jane Risher
- Ty Burrell as Pricipal John Mason
- Logan Browning as Lauren Smith
- Shannon Kook-Chun as Dane Wu
- Drew Van Acker as Drake Walsh
- Derek Mears as The Killer
- Victoria Justice, Emma Roberts and Scout Taylor Compton were considered for the role of Kisarah Sheraton.
- Aimee Teegarden's Scream 4 co-star Britt Robertson auditioned for the role of Kisarah Sheraton with Christopher Landon stating that she gave an impressive audition but due to other commitments with the CW drama, Life Unexpected, Robertson gave the role to Teegarden since they worked together on Scream 4 and played a brief role of Carrie O'Hara. A couple years later, she was approached by M.A Fortin and Joshua John Miller to play Max Cartwright for the 2015 slasher comedy, The Final Girls but she refused due to scheduling conflicts with her film, The Longest Ride.
- Kisarah's 80's look was modeled after Elizabeth Shue's character Chris Parker from Adventures In Babysitting (1987)
- Aly and AJ Michalka agreed to star in the film as the West twins, Anya and Hilarie if they can read the deaths of their characters.
- Isn't It Scary? is rated R by the MPAA for "strong bloody horror violence and gore throughout, pervasive language, sexuality, graphic nudity and some drug and alcohol use - all involving teens".
- The idea of this film came to light after M.A. Fortin and Joshua John Miller failed to get production for The Final Girls (2015) off the ground at New Line Cinema. After developing the script, Sara Risher described the script as "a mean-spirited mixture of Friday The 13th, Scream and Ferris Bueller's Day Off that is both savagely funny, killingly smart and blisteringly gory that a horror fan won't resist."