How I Met Your Father is an American Comedy Sit-Com Television Series, and a spin-off of the 2005 TV Series How I Met Your Mother, premiering on the FOX Television Network on May 25, 2016. The series stars Lyndy Fonseca, David Henrie, Spencer Ralston, Danielle Panabaker, Elena Satine, and Willa Holland as a group of friends in crazy adventures told by Penny Moseby as she tells her kids the story of how she met their father.
In the year 2070, the daughter of Ted Moseby, Penny Moseby, tells her own children the story of how she met their father, as her father once did the same to her with her mother. The story begins in the year 2042, with a 27 year old Penny living in New York with her younger brother, Luke, their friends, Marvin, Daisy, and Rose Erikson, the children of Marshall and Lily Erikson, Ellie Stinson, the daughter of Barney Stinson, and their friend Carter Babinaeux as the six friends struggle with work, careers, and relationships, while Penny begins her search for her soulmate.
- Lyndsy Fonseca as Penny Moseby, the daughter of Ted Moseby and the late Tracy McConnel-Moseby. In How I Met Your Mother, Penny sat beside her brother Luke as their father told them the story of how he met their mother, who died years earlier. Penny is a respected novelist and fashion designer as she searches for "the one". Her best friend is Daisy Erikson, who is the daughter of her father's best friend, Marshall Erikson.
- Meg Ryan will provide the voice of future Penny
- David Henrie as Luke Moseby, the son of Ted and Tracey and the younger brother of Penny. Like his mother, Luke is a guitarist and singer. His best friend, later girlfriend, than wife, is Rose Erikson, the daughter of Marshall and Lily Erikson
- Spencer Ralston as Marvin Erikson III, the son of Marshall Erikson and Lily Aldrin-Erikson, and the older brother of Daisy and Rose Erikson. He formerly had a relationship with Penny, but later had a relationship with a detective that worked with Rose and Carter.
- Danielle Panabaker as Daisy Erikson, the oldest daughter of Marshall and Lily Erikson, and the sister of Marvin and Rose Erikson. She is a respected sculpter and is best friends with Penny, as well as the girlfriend, later wife of Jimmy.
- Elena Satine as Rose Erikson, the youngest daugther of Marshall Erikson and Lily Aldrin, and the younger sister of Marvin and Daisy Erikson. Rose is an FBI psychiatrist and is the best friend, later girlfriend, than wife of Luke Moseby.
- Willa Holland as Elliot "Ellie" Stinson, the daughter of Barney Stinson and an unnamed woman, as well as the youngest member of the group. In How I Met Your Mother, while going for a perfect month, Barney got a girl pregnant, and now shares Ellie with the yet to be named mother. Ellie is Penny's assistant and later becomes a model.
- Ryan Kelley as James "Jimmy" Welling, an FBI agent that works with Rose, and is the only member of the group with no connection to the characters of How I Met Your Mother, but is still treated as family by them. He was raised on a farm and met the group through Rose, and later began dating, then married, Daisy
- Josh Radnor as Ted Moseby, the widowed father of Luke and Penny, and the best friend of Marhsall, Barney, Lily, and Robin, who works as an architect. He is also the honorary uncle of Marvin, Daisy, Rose, and Ellie.
- Jerry Siegel as Marshall Erikson, the father of Marvin, Daisy, and Rose, the husband of Lily, and the best friend of Ted and Barney, and the mayor of New York City, formerly a judge, and a lawyer before that. He is the honorary uncle of Luke, Penny, and Ellie.
- Alyson Hannigan as Lily Aldrin, the mother of Marvin, Daisy, and Rose, the wife of Marshall, and the best friend of Robin, who works as a kindergarden teacher. She is also the honorary aunt of Luke, Penny, and Ellie.
- Cobie Smulders as Robin Scherbatsky, the ex-husband of Barney, and the best friend of Ted, Marshall, and Lily, who works as a world wide news reporter. She is also the honorary aunt of Luke, Penny, Marvin, Daisy, Rose, and Ellie.
- Neil Patrick Harris as Barney Stinson, the father of Ellie, ex-husband of Robin, and best friend of Ted and Marshall. He is also the honorary uncle of Luke, Penny, Marvin, Daisy, and Rose.