Greninja (ゲッコウガ, Gekkōga) is a playable character in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch. It was revealed in Super Smash Bros. 4 during the April 8th, 2014 Super Smash Bros. Direct, alongside fellow Pokémon representative Charizard. Greninja is voiced by Billy Bob Thompson in English and Yūji Ueda in Japanese. Like numerous other Pokémon, it has different voice actors in the French and German versions due to name changes, similarly to Jigglypuff.
This Water/Dark-type Pokémon is the fully evolved form of Froakie. It's just as fast and dangerous as any other ninja, and the throwing stars it can make out of water can shear metal. In Smash Bros., as well as being a graceful, speedy fighter, it can also use moves like Hydro Pump to let it move through the air and avoid falling.
- From December 9, 2014 to January 29, 2015, Japanese players of Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire were able to gain a serial code to download a Greninja based on this Greninja, complete with a moveset consisting of SSB4 Greninja's special moves, an Original Trainer listed as スマブラ (SmaBra) and the Hidden Ability Protean.
- Interestingly, the event Greninja is always male, which suggests that the SSB4 Greninja is as well. Despite this, it is not listed under a specific gender per Nintendo and its affiliates' stance on, for the most part, using gender-neutral pronouns for all Pokémon, regardless of a species' appearance/gender ratio or lack thereof.
- Prior to the release of Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, Water Shuriken was also one of Greninja's signature moves. However, Accelgor later gained access to Water Shuriken in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, albeit via Move Reminder.
- Greninja knows six official Pokémon moves, all of which it can legally learn in the Pokémon core series. In addition to Water Shuriken, Shadow Sneak, Hydro Pump, and Substitute, it uses Mat Block as initiate Secret Ninja Attack, and Double Team during one of its victory poses.
- Greninja's color palette of its official artwork and in-game appearance are actually slightly different. For its in-game appearance, its body and legs are a slightly darker shade of blue, while its webbings, face, and chest are cream instead of beige.
- Greninja and Lucario are the only Pokémon to not have a custom move that share a name with an actual Pokémon move.
- Greninja and Bayonetta are the only characters that can interrupt their own taunts.
- In Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, the bottom screen marker tracks characters even during their teleporting moves. However, this does not apply to Greninja when it uses Shadow Sneak or Substitute.
- Despite being a partial Dark type Pokémon, none of Greninja's attacks have the darkness effect. However, this is largely a result of the Dark type in Pokémon being associated with deception and underhanded fighting tactics (which is reflected in it being called the Evil type in Japanese), instead of literal darkness and shadows, which are characteristics associated with the Ghost type instead.
- Coincidentally, its side special move, Shadow Sneak, is a Ghost type attack. It is also a variation of Quick Attack in its home series, which is another move Greninja can learn naturally via level up.
- Greninja and Corrin are the only water-themed characters in SSB4.
- Greninja's forward smash when wielding a battering item is identical to its normal forward smash, albeit with the held item in lieu of its water katana.
- During Greninja's reveal trailer, several people mistakenly believed that Greninja was Mewtwo, even despite the fact that the Water Shuriken was clearly shown (with that being mistaken for Mewtwo's Shadow Ball); while Mewtwo did eventually appear in SSB4 as a DLC character, at the time, the community had countless discussions about whether or not Mewtwo would be in the final roster.
- Due to being considered a very strong character at the time, Greninja was nerfed in patch 1.0.4, and later received a bugfix in patch 1.0.5, which was also conceived as a nerf. This started the "Better Nerf Greninja" meme, where Greninja was photoshopped with Nerf products with the caption "Better Nerf Greninja". It was inspired by the similarly named "Better Nerf Irelia" meme from the League of Legends community, which was started under similar circumstances.
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch characters
|List of Characters|
|AiAi · Bayonetta · Bowser · Bowser Jr. · Captain Falcon · Charizard · Cloud · Corrin · Crash · Daisy · Dark Pit · Diddy Kong · Dixie Kong · Donkey Kong · Donkey Kong Jr. · Dr. Mario · Duck Hunt · Elsa · Falco · Fox · Ganondorf · Goku · Greninja · Ice Climbers · Ike · Inkling · Inuyasha · Jigglypuff · Justice · King Dedede · Kirby · Lana · Link · Little Mac · Lucario · Lucas · Lucina · Luigi · Marina · Mario · Marth · Mega Man · Meta Knight · Mewtwo · Mii Fighter (Brawler · Gunner · Swordfighter) · Mr. Game & Watch · Naruto · Ness · Olimar · Pac-Man · Palutena · Peach · Pichu · Pikachu · Pit · Pokémon Trainer · R.O.B. · Ralph · Reimu · Robin · Rosalina & Luma · Roy · Ryu · Sakura · Samus · Scott Pilgrim · Sheik · Shulk · Snake · Sonic · SpongeBob · Toon Link · Villager · Wario · Wii Fit Trainer · Wolf · Yoshi · Young Link · Zelda · Zero Suit Samus|