Godzilla B.C. is a 2024 American Monster film directed and co-written by Michael Dougherty. A
prequel to the first five MonsterVerse films, it is the 37th film in the Godzilla franchise, the sixth film in the MonsterVerse, the fourth Godzilla film to be completely made by a Hollywood studio, and the second prequel in the MonsterVerse. The film, in it's present day scenes, stars Ken Watanabe, Millie Bobby Brown, Kyle Chandler and Vera Farmiga, with narration done by Watanabe and Zhang Ziyi having bigger roles.
In 2019, Michael Dougherty thought of making a Godzilla prequel movie where it shows the growth of Godzilla from his early and ancient days. After the success of both Godzilla vs. Kong (2021) and Kong: Hollow Earth (2023), Michael Dougherty was hired to be director of the film, and co-write with Zack Snyder, who had previously released his version of Justice League (2021). Principal photography began in January 2023 and wrapped up in October of that year.
Godzilla B.C. was theatrically released on June 2, 2024, to positive reviews with high praise to it's visual effects, action sequences, cinematography, music, pacing and tone. It was a box office success, with it grossing $510 million at the end of it's theatrical run, against the production budget of $175 million and a break-even point of $390 million.
The seventh film in the franchise, Rodan, was released in 2025.
Watch Godzilla grow and evolve alongside the titans and how they co-existed with one another. However, Godzilla does his first battle with King Ghidorah as Dr. Serizawa narrates throughout the first frontier of the age of Titans and Gods, from the Cretaceous Era, to the Ice Age, to the dawn of Man.
- T.J. Storm as Godzilla (Motion Capture)
- Jason Liles as King Ghidorah and Rodan (Motion Capture)
- Alan Maxson as King Ghidorah (Motion Capture)
- Richard Dorton as King Ghidorah (Motion Capture)
- Zhang Ziyi as The Shobijin/Chen Sisters/Eilas
- Ken Watanabe as Dr. Inshiro Serizawa
- Millie Bobby Brown as Madison Russel
- Kyle Chandler as Dr. Mark Russel
- Vera Farmiga as Emma Russel
- King Ghidorah (Cretaceous)
- Primitive Mothra
- Tyrannosaurus Rex
- Woolly Mammoth
- Dire Wolf
- Battra (Cave Paintings)
- SpaceGodzilla (Cave Paintings)
- Gaw (Cave Paintings)
- Mothra Leo (Aqua form; Cave Paintings)
- Camazotz (Cave Paintings)
- Mothra (Cave Paintings)
- Gigan (Cave Paintings)
- Megalon (Cave Paintings)
- Ghidorahs (Cave Paintings)
Weapons, vehicles, and races
- Ghidorahs (Cave Paintings)
- Michael Dougherty - Director, Co-Writer
- Christopher Nolan - Producer
- Emma Thomas - Producer
- Zack Snyder - Producer, Writer
- Deborah Snyder - Producer
- Guillaume Rocheron, David Vickory, John "DJ" DesJardin - VFX Supervisor
- Tom Woodruff Jr. - Effects and Creature designer
- Amir Mokri - Cinematographer
- Lee Smith - Editor
Bear McCreary returned to compose the music for Godzilla B.C. after his work on Godzilla: King Of The Monsters (2019). McCreary stated his involvement with the movie, "I want to build upon my previous work with Godzilla, since the fans really liked it. I want to incorporate a more mythical like my previous work with the big guy, but at the same time, making it grand and thrilling to watch, kind of like the main theme for King Of The Monsters, but with a more soothing and elegant twist to it. It was really hard to pull it off, but it paid off at the end."
McCreary also used other soundtracks from the Godzilla Multiverse, particularly Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monster All-Out Attack (2001) and The Return Of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985 (1984/85), as those films pose Godzilla as a more mythical character, with GMK in particular revolving it's theme around mythology. The Returns Of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985, on the other hand, is supposed to represent the Force of Nature in a way that was tragic and mythical.
- Godzilla Main Theme - Bear McCreary (Written by Akira Ifukube)
- In Battle - Bear McCreary
- The Birth Of Godzilla - Bear McCreary
- Into The Hollow Earth - Bear McCreary
- Atomic Breath - Bear McCreary (Written by Reijiro Koroku)
- Challenging The Alpha - Bear McCreary
- Overcoming Death - Bear McCreary
- The Asteroid - Bear McCreary
- Battle Rumble
- King Ghidorah's Roar - Bear McCreary
- Weak and Tired - Bear McCreary
- Forming an Alliance - Bear McCreary
- Showdown - Bear McCreary
- The First Mothra - Bear McCreary (Written by Yūji Koseki)
- Dogfight In The Sky - Bear McCreary
- The Old vs. Ghidorah - Bear McCreary
- The Alpha vs. Ghidorah - Bear McCreary
- War - Bear McCreary (Written by Kow Otani, Akira Ifukube and Reijiro Koroku)
- Old Faithful Mountain - Bear McCreary
- Swim To Japan - Bear McCreary
- Volcanic Monsters - Bear McCreary
- Victory In The Sun - Bear McCreary
- End Credits Suite - Bear McCreary (Written by Akira Ifukube, Kow Otani and Reijiro Koroku)
- Godzilla B.C. is the first Godzilla film to be a prequel.
- The present day scenes with most of the Cast is set 24 hours before the events of Godzilla: King Of The Monsters (2019).