|Special Moves||Megavitamins (Neutral), Super Sheet (Side), Super Jump Punch (Up), Dr. Tornado (Down)|
|Final Smash||Dr. Finale|
|First appearance||Dr. Mario (1990)|
|Voice actor||Charles Martinet|
Dr. Mario (Dr. マリオ, Dr. Mario) is a playable character in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch. His return in Super Smash Bros. 4 was announced on SSB4's official website on October 9th, 2014, during which Dark Pit was also revealed. Charles Martinet reprises his role as Dr. Mario's voice actor, albeit via Mario's voice clips from Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
The implementation of multipliers to most of Dr. Mario's moveset and some of his attributes result in him functioning like a stronger, yet slower Mario. As a result, his overall damage output and KO potential are above-average for a character of his size and weight. Like Mario, Dr. Mario's frame data is very fast in regard to start-up lag. In addition to granting him a decent combo game, this trait makes him both difficult to punish and very effective at punishing.
However, the multipliers applied to some of Dr. Mario's attributes collectively result in him being considerably slower and less nimble than Mario. Due to some moveset adjustments and changes to game mechanics, Dr. Mario's combo game is also inferior to Mario's in regard to both versatility and consistency.
In the 1990 puzzle game Dr. Mario, Mario threw on a white coat and decided to take a shot at that whole "medicine" thing. In this game, he's a balanced fighter who can throw Megavitamin capsules and nimbly deflect blows with his Super Sheet. He's not quite as quick as normal Mario, but his attacks deal a bit more damage.
- Like Dark Pit and Lucina, Dr. Mario was originally planned to be an alternate costume. However, all three were instead converted into being clones late in Super Smash Bros. 4's development. Masahiro Sakurai explained that the reason for doing so in regard to Dr. Mario was in order to appeal to his fanbase from Super Smash Bros. Melee.
- Dr. Mario is the first of three Melee characters that were cut from Super Smash Bros. Brawl to return for SSB4, followed by Mewtwo and Roy. However, he retains his status as an unlockable character, whereas Mewtwo and Roy are now downloadable content.
- Dr. Mario's amiibo description on the official amiibo website is a combination of his Classic Mode trophy descriptions from Melee and SSB4.
- In Dr. Mario's official artwork, his collar and tie are done up, while his stethoscope's tubing and head mirror's headband are black. However, his in-game model shows his collar open and tie loose, while his stethoscope's tubing and head mirror's headband are dark gray and dark taupe, respectively.
- Dr. Mario, Bowser and Lucina are the only characters who are not playable in a solo event unless selected.
- Dr. Mario is the only character to have two challenges exclusive to him in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.
- Dr. Mario and Lucario are the only characters that lack a meteor smash, including unconventional meteor smashes.
- Dr. Mario and Pac-Man are the only characters who have a taunt that aesthetically changes each time it is performed. In Dr. Mario's case, his side taunt creates a randomly colored Megavitamin each time it is performed.
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch characters
|List of Characters|
|AiAi · Bayonetta · Bowser · Bowser Jr. · Captain Falcon · Charizard · Cloud · Corrin · Crash · Daisy · Dark Pit · Diddy Kong · Dixie Kong · Donkey Kong · Donkey Kong Jr. · Dr. Mario · Duck Hunt · Elsa · Falco · Fox · Ganondorf · Goku · Greninja · Ice Climbers · Ike · Inkling · Inuyasha · Jigglypuff · Justice · King Dedede · Kirby · Lana · Link · Little Mac · Lucario · Lucas · Lucina · Luigi · Marina · Mario · Marth · Mega Man · Meta Knight · Mewtwo · Mii Fighter (Brawler · Gunner · Swordfighter) · Mr. Game & Watch · Naruto · Ness · Olimar · Pac-Man · Palutena · Peach · Pichu · Pikachu · Pit · Pokémon Trainer · R.O.B. · Ralph · Reimu · Robin · Rosalina & Luma · Roy · Ryu · Sakura · Samus · Scott Pilgrim · Sheik · Shulk · Snake · Sonic · SpongeBob · Toon Link · Villager · Wario · Wii Fit Trainer · Wolf · Yoshi · Young Link · Zelda · Zero Suit Samus|