Death Note is a 2008 American live-action supernatural dark fantasy horror film starring Grant Gustin, AnnaSophia Robb, Chris Chalk, Charlie Sheen, B.D. Wong, and the voice of James Woods.
A bored student finds a notebook that can kill people just by writing their names in it. He uses it to rid his world of corruption and become a "god". However, he has to deal with a nameless detective, his sociopathic girlfriend, and a manipulative demon.
Light Turner (Grant Gustin) is just a bored student who hates criminals because his mother was killed by a hit-and-run driver, who got away with it. However during school, a notebook fell from the sky and landed on school ground. Light picks it up and finds that the notebook is called the Death Note. Before he can read it, he sees Kenny Doyle (Macklemore) harassing Mia Sutton (AnnaSophia Robb). He tries to stand up for her but he is punched by the bully and is later found by a teacher. However, he is given detention because of paperwork being found in his backpack.
In detention, he reads the rules of the notebook and meets a demon called Ryuk (voiced by James Woods). He explains that the notebook can kill anyone whose name is written in it but the person will die of a heart attack if the cause of death is not written in 40 seconds. They look out the window to see Kenny Doyle harassing a girl. Light writes Kenny's name in the book and writes he cause of death. A truck crashes into a car and the ladder from it gets falls out towards Kenny, decapitating him. Light is horrified by this but keeps the notebook.
- Grant Gustin as Light Turner - The new owner of the Death Note who wishes to rid the world of corruption.
- AnnaSophia Robb as Mia Sutton - Light's sociopathic girlfriend who has no problem killing innocent people that get in the way.
- Chris Chalk as L - A nameless detective who is determined to catch Kira.
- Charlie Sheen as James Turner - Light's father and the chief of police.
- Adaptation Heroism: Unlike his namesake, Light Turner actually has morales and standards which includes leaving the authorities out of this. When Mia suggests killing James, Light refuses to because James is his dad. He even tried to save Watari. This concludes he's more tragic and sympathetic than the original Light Yagami, who was egomaniacal monster.