|Special Moves||Flamethrower (Neutral), Flare Blitz (Side), Fly (Up), Rock Smash (Down)|
|Final Smash||Mega Evolution|
|First appearance||Pokémon Red & Blue series (1996)|
|Voice actor||Shin'ichirō Miki|
Charizard (リザードン, Lizardon) is a playable character in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch. Its return in Super Smash Bros. 4 was announced during a Super Smash Bros. Direct on April 8th, 2014, during which its fellow Pokémon representative Greninja was also revealed. Shin'ichirō Miki reprises his role as Charizard's voice actor, albeit via re-recorded voice clips that match how it sounds in the Pokémon anime.
The iconic Fire/Flying-type Pokémon. Charizard's scorching breath can melt anything in its path. It soars through the air, seeking only worthy foes to test itself against. In Smash Bros., Charizard unleashes the destructive Flare Blitz special move-a move so strong, it even injures the user!
- Unlike in Brawl, Charizard draws inspiration from Ash's Charizard, Red's Charizard, and Alain's Charizard:
- The animations of its neutral attack's first two hits are similar to Red's when repeatedly using Slash against Mewtwo.
- The animations of its neutral and forward aerials are identical to Ash and Alain's when they use Dragon Tail and Dragon Claw, respectively.
- The animation of its up throw is similar to Ash and Red's when they use Seismic Toss.
- It can use Fire Blast (albeit only via Mega Evolution) and Blast Burn like Red and Alain's, respectively.
- It can Mega Evolve into Mega Charizard X like Red and Alain's.
- It has an idle pose that sees it turn its head and spit out an ember like Ash's did during its disobedient phase.
- It is voiced by Shin'ichirō Miki, who voices Ash and Red's.
- Due to having access to both X Attack and Fake Nails in the attack category, Charizard is the only character capable of using two types of specialized/non-badge equipment within the same category.
- This also makes it the only Pokémon that can equip something other than badges and Pokémon equipment.
- Charizard knows eight official Pokémon moves in SSB4, all of which it can learn legally in the Pokémon core series. In addition to Flamethrower, Flare Blitz, Fly and Rock Smash, it can use Fire Fang and Blast Burn as custom moves, Fire Blast as part of its Final Smash, and Dragon Rush either as a custom move or as part of its Final Smash.
- As Squirtle did not return from Brawl, Charizard is also the only playable Pokémon in SSB4 to know moves that were HMs prior to generation VII (Fly and Rock Smash).
- In the PAL version of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, one of the tips about Rock Smash refers to Charizard using masculine pronouns: "Right before smashing a rock, Charizard gets super armor, meaning he won't even flinch if he's attacked!"
- Charizard is the only Pokémon who lacks both a chargeable special move and an aerial attack that hits more than once.
- Charizard is the only character to have one of its special move inputs changed between games outside of SSB.
- Charizard, along with Bowser, Bowser Jr., Yoshi, Wario, Mr. Game & Watch, Little Mac, Young Link, Ganondorf, Corrin, Lucario, Mewtwo, Pac-Man, Sonic, Justice and SpongeBob are the only characters who transform during their Final Smash. Inkling, Goku and Sakura transform from one of their special moves.
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch characters
|List of Characters|
|AiAi · Bayonetta · Bowser · Bowser Jr. · Captain Falcon · Charizard · Cloud · Corrin · Crash · Daisy · Dark Pit · Diddy Kong · Dixie Kong · Donkey Kong · Donkey Kong Jr. · Dr. Mario · Duck Hunt · Elsa · Falco · Fox · Ganondorf · Goku · Greninja · Ice Climbers · Ike · Inkling · Inuyasha · Jigglypuff · Justice · King Dedede · Kirby · Lana · Link · Little Mac · Lucario · Lucas · Lucina · Luigi · Marina · Mario · Marth · Mega Man · Meta Knight · Mewtwo · Mii Fighter (Brawler · Gunner · Swordfighter) · Mr. Game & Watch · Naruto · Ness · Olimar · Pac-Man · Palutena · Peach · Pichu · Pikachu · Pit · Pokémon Trainer · R.O.B. · Ralph · Reimu · Robin · Rosalina & Luma · Roy · Ryu · Sakura · Samus · Scott Pilgrim · Sheik · Shulk · Snake · Sonic · SpongeBob · Toon Link · Villager · Wario · Wii Fit Trainer · Wolf · Yoshi · Young Link · Zelda · Zero Suit Samus|