Blockbuster Hell is a potential Netflix original television series starring Willow Smith and Sean Giambrone and created by Sarah Dunn, the creator of American Housewife. It was set in the summer of 1993 in Oak Hills, Wyoming. It will be premiered on June 23, 2022.
Two young teenagers spend their Summer in 1993 working at Blockbuster by their manager. They have to do something or else they'll get fired!
Cast and characters
- Willow Smith as Willow DuVall, a stuttering 17-year-old teenager who is a clerk at Blockbuster.
- Seam Giambrone as Sean Novak Beauton, a 16-year-old friend of Willow's and her on-off boyfriend who also works as a clerk at Blockbuster. She did not only have parents that are named Phillip and Bernice, but also two older brothers, Stefan and Alex.
- Kristen Li as Ramona Kim, a employee at Blockbuster and Leo's 16-year-old daughter.
- Jenna Ushkowitz as Alice Kim, Ramona's niece who works as an cashier.
- Terry Crews as Abraham Oliver, the manager of Blockbuster who forces Alice, Ramona, Willow and Sean to work hard enough or he will fire them.ith Molly and being one of the customers at Blockbuster so Molly can rent a movie for Timothy.
- Marsai Martin as Ivy Keller, Willow's 13-year-old cousin who barely appears in flashbacks with Willow and Alex. In parts 3 through 5, she becomes a companion and assistant towards Willow.
- Jaden Smith as Alexander "Alex" DuVall) is Willow's older brother who is often clueless about everything. He used to go to Blockbuster since 1988.
- Leigh Allyn-Baker as Diane Novak Beauton is Sean's mother. She gave birth to Sean when she was 23 years old. She works as a manager at Claire's.
- Ken Jeong as Leonard "Leo" Kim, Ramona's father and one of Alice's relatives.
- Noelle Sheldon as Mindy Janeway, one of Ivy and Ramona's friend and the twin sister of Mandy. She is a tomboy who loves rock music, overalls, grunge subculture and flannels.
- Cali Sheldon as Mandy Janeway, one of Ivy and Ramona's friend and the twin sister of Mindy. She is a girly girl who loves floral dresses, scrunchies, slap bracelets, paper fortune tellers, and blowing bubblegum.
- Isabella Gomez as Josefina Garay-Ibarra, a 17-year-old former clerk at Blockbuster from 1988.
- Zach Callison as James Milton, an 18-year-old employee at Blockbuster from 1988.
- Odeya Rush as Alona Gestetner, an Israeli-born immigrant who is a former cashier at Blockbuster since 1988. Now she works at Limited Too where Molly and Timothy are the customers.
- Landry Bender as Martha "Elli" Elliott, is Willow's friend who knew her when she was in the 8th grade.
- Bailee Madison as Catherine Finnerty, Alona's friend who often works at Delia's as a clerk.
- Coby Bird as Collin Shelbert, Ramona's on-off autistic boyfriend.
- Jacob Tremblay as Peter Janeway, Mindy and Mandy's younger brother who is annoying, spoilt and manipulative.
- Miya Cech as Molly Watanabe, a Japanese-American girl who had immigrant ancestors. Her 3x great-grandmother was born in Japan, so she moved to Connecticut so she can give birth to her son.
- Lonnie Chavis as Timothy Schneider, Molly's best friend-turned-on-off boyfriend.
List of episodes
- "Help Wanted" - On June 7, 1993, when Willow and Sean had their job as clerks for Blockbuster by Abraham, who is a manager, they find out to see that an employee named Ramona Kim has a niece who is a cashier; Alex works as a lifeguard for his own summer job.
- "Gum in the Bottle" - Ramona secretly puts her gum inside a water-filled water bottle, so she calls it a "gum in a bottle" as a "gift" for her niece, Alice; Willow and Sean spy on new customers in Blockbuster.
- "I, Elliott" - Willow meets Elli Elliott, her friend since the 8th grade; Abraham reminisces the memories about how he first became a manager at Blockbuster back five years ago.
- "TBA" - TBA
- "TBA" - TBA
- "TBA" - TBA
- "TBA" - TBA
- "TBA" - TBA
NOTE: "I'm So Into You" by SWV can be heard in not only the second part of the teaser trailer and the final trailer, but also in "Help Wanted".
- "That's The Way Love Goes" - Janet Jackson (heard once in the teaser trailer)
- "I'm So Into You" - SWV (heard once in the first teaser trailer and the final trailer)
- "It Was A Good Day" - Ice Cube (heard once in the opening scene where Alex rides Willow to Blockbuster so she can have a job)
- "I'm So Into You" - SWV (heard once where Ramona and Alice arrive)
- "Ditty" - Paperboy (heard once where Timothy and Molly enter Blockbuster)
- "Nothin' My Love Can't Fix" - Joey Lawrence (heard once where Mindy and Mandy are shown riding bikes)
Gum in the Bottle
- "Show Me Love" - Robin S (heard once on Ramona's walkman)
- "I Have Nothing" - Whitney Houston (heard once where Ramona puts her ABC gum into her water bottle, which everyone on Blockbuster reacts in disgust)
- "Whoomp! (There It Is)" - Tag Team (heard once in Blockbuster where Sean and Willow spy on new customers)
- "Who Is It" - Michael Jackson (heard once where Alex is listening to the song on his walkman)
- "Push It" - Salt-n-Pepa (heard once on a flashback on the summer of 1988 where Abraham hires Alona, James, Josefina and Alex on Blockbuster)
- "Foolish Beat" - Debbie Gibson (heard once on a flashback on the summer of 1988 where Alona is sorting the VHS tapes in alphabetical order along with Jaunita, Josefina and Alex helping her)
- “Jesus Christ Pose”- Soundgarden (Heard once when Jessica is bored and starts playing a random song on her CD player
- This show is set in Oak Hills, Wyoming and shot in Vancouver.
- The whole entire series take place in June 7, 1993 through August 16, 1993.
- Principal photography begins at February 10, 2021 until July 1, 2021.
- The tagline for this miniseries is called "Welcome to '90s hell".
- The teaser poster shows Giambrone, Smith, Li and Ushkowitz are looking at the Blockbuster store with a sign that says "HELP WANTED" in daytime with the tagline "Coming soon to Netflix, welcome to '90s hell".
- The promotional poster shows shows Giambrone, Smith, Crews, Li, and of course, Ushkowitz putting her faces on the front door of Blockbuster with the tagline "Welcome to '90s hell".
- There will be a rumored spinoff called Blockbuster Hell: Ten Years Later, which was set in 2003, starring Caleb McLaughlin as Blockbuster clerk and Abraham's nephew, Steven Oliver, Zach Callison as Kevin Fine, Jennifer's cousin, Oona Laurence as Blockbuster clerk, Jennifer Fine, Jacob Hopkins as Blockbuster employee, Raymond Woodward, Rowan Blanchard as Blockbuster cashier Christina "Chris" Hassad, and Wendi McLevon-Convey as Blockbuster manager and Raymond's mother, Enid Woodward.