Bayonetta (ベヨネッタ, Bayonetta) is a playable character in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch. In Super Smash Bros. 4, she is the seventh and final downloadable character, who was announced alongside Corrin during the Super Smash Bros. - Final Video Presentation on December 15th, 2015 and both were released on February 3rd, 2016. Bayonetta is the one of the third-party characters to be introduced in this game, following fellow Sega characters Sonic and AiAi, Capcom's Mega Man and Ryu, Bandai Namco's Pac-Man, Goku and Naruto Square Enix's Cloud, Konami's Snake, Golgoth Studio's Justice, Clamp's Sakura, Activision's Crash, Team Shanghai Alice's Reimu, Rumiko Takahashi's Inuyasha, Nickelodeon's SpongeBob, Bryan Lee O'Malley's Scott Pilgrim and Disney's Ralph and Elsa. Bayonetta was added to the game as the winner of the Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot, being the highest-voted character in Europe and among the top 5 in North America, making her the overall #1 worldwide among realizable characters. Her default appearance is based on her redesign for Bayonetta 2, but with slightly modified proportions, most notably in her height. Bayonetta's English voice actress, Hellena Taylor, and her Japanese voice actress, Atsuko Tanaka, both reprise their roles in Super Smash Bros. 4.
Bayonetta is one of the last of the near-extinct Umbra Witches clan. She's a master of the Bullet Arts and can use her hair as a conduit to bring forth Infernal Demons. She brings all these skills and more to Smash, where she'll unleash additional damage if you hold the attack button. Damage and distract your foes with this move!
- Bayonetta, along with Justice, Sakura, Reimu and Elsa are the only female third-party playable characters in the Super Smash Bros. series.
- Bayonetta and Cloud are the only characters to change weapons as part of their alternate costumes. In Bayonetta's case, her "A Witch With No Memories" costume has her using the Scarborough Fair. Along with Wario in Brawl, they are also the only characters who pose differently in their artwork when wearing alternate costumes that change their outfits.
- Bayonetta's pose in her artwork for her "A Witch With No Memories" costume is based on her artwork for her appearance in Anarchy Reigns.
- If a battle ends while Bayonetta is speaking through a taunt, it can still be heard, even over the announcer. This also happens with Wii Fit Trainer.
- If Bayonetta grabs a Hammer or Golden Hammer with her forward aerial and stops the attack in midair without performing all three hits, the hammer's music will not play.
- Some of Bayonetta's animations outside of her attacks reference the Bayonetta series:
- When Bayonetta jumps, she leaves behind a blue Umbra Witch symbol, and emits a magenta Umbra Witch symbol and when she lands. However, she does not emit the symbol during her double jump.
- Her on-screen appearance is a reference to when she enters Purgatorio, as she appears within the realm via the Umbra Witches' symbol.
- Her crouch is a reference to the Break Dance technique, where she strikes a similar pose at the end of the attack.
- Her ability to wall cling references the Witch Walk ability usable by Umbra Witches during a full moon.
- When she plucks Grass, she will uproot the item with a kick and then grab it in midair, much like how she picks up weapons from the ground. She also transitions through this animation slower than every other character in SSB4.
- Her sidestep's animation is based off her Love is Blue weapon taunt from Bayonetta 2.
- The pose Bayonetta assumes when having her attacks interrupted with another attack is based off her Kafka weapon taunt from Bayonetta 2.
- She has a special idle pose once she stops any ground attack, which returns to her standard idle pose after a few seconds pass. This is based on her attack pose from her home franchise. Her arms down position is used when traversing open areas with no enemies, while holding her arms up with her guns, and placing one foot on its toe, is the pose she takes when enemies are near by. Players performing attack animations in her home series without enemies near by will have her take her attack pose for a few seconds, before reverting into her idle pose.
- After using an Assist Trophy or the Special Flag, Bayonetta will blow a kiss. This could be a reference to the Infernal Kiss ability, which enables her to break down divine barriers, or her target lock-on animation.
- When damaged, roses appear around her body where starburst-shaped effects would normally appear. This references how, in the Bayonetta series, those who are damaged and have blood drawn will have it turn into something different before being blown away. In Bayonetta's case, rose petals fly off of where she would normally bleed, which makes her the only character in the Super Smash Bros. series to reference external bleeding.
- Bayonetta is the only newcomer in SSB4 to have one voice clip when being KO'd via blast lines.
- Bayonetta, Mr. Game & Watch, and Wii Fit Trainer are the only three characters in SSB4 with unique sound effects for charging their smash attacks.
- Bayonetta possesses unique technical data:
- She is the first character in the Super Smash Bros. series to have a smash attack that is a meteor smash that works on aerial targets, and is not part of an automatic combo that negates the downward knockback.
- She is the only character that can affect opponents who have invincibility frames, such as those from the Super Star item or from dismounting a revival platform, thanks to Witch Time.
- She and Ryu are the only characters whose neutral attacks require multiple button presses in order to be fully performed. In Bayonetta's case, merely holding the attack button triggers her Bullet Arts.
- Although difficult to hear, Bayonetta's guns will emit their respective firing sound effects. Her default costume uses Love is Blue's firing sound effect from Bayonetta 2, whereas her "A Witch With No Memories" costume uses Scarborough Fair's firing sound effect from Bayonetta.
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch characters
|List of Characters|
|AiAi · Bayonetta · Bowser · Bowser Jr. · Captain Falcon · Charizard · Cloud · Corrin · Crash · Daisy · Dark Pit · Diddy Kong · Dixie Kong · Donkey Kong · Donkey Kong Jr. · Dr. Mario · Duck Hunt · Elsa · Falco · Fox · Ganondorf · Goku · Greninja · Ice Climbers · Ike · Inkling · Inuyasha · Jigglypuff · Justice · King Dedede · Kirby · Lana · Link · Little Mac · Lucario · Lucas · Lucina · Luigi · Marina · Mario · Marth · Mega Man · Meta Knight · Mewtwo · Mii Fighter (Brawler · Gunner · Swordfighter) · Mr. Game & Watch · Naruto · Ness · Olimar · Pac-Man · Palutena · Peach · Pichu · Pikachu · Pit · Pokémon Trainer · R.O.B. · Ralph · Reimu · Robin · Rosalina & Luma · Roy · Ryu · Sakura · Samus · Scott Pilgrim · Sheik · Shulk · Snake · Sonic · SpongeBob · Toon Link · Villager · Wario · Wii Fit Trainer · Wolf · Yoshi · Young Link · Zelda · Zero Suit Samus|