Alien is a 2022 American science fiction horror-thriller film directed by Ridley Scott and starring Jennifer Lawrence in the iconic role of Ellen Ripley, with Joel Edgerton, James McAvoy, Rooney Mara, Chiwetel Ejiofor, and Ed Harris as crew members of the Nostromo; Michael Fassbender portrays another android named Ash. Javier Botet also reprises his role as the Xenomorph. The film was produced by 20th Century Fox. It is a shot-for-shot remake of the 1979 film of the same name, also directed by Scott, and serves as a sequel to the films Prometheus and Alien: Covenant. The story focuses on an aggressive extraterrestrial life form that stalks the crew members of a charter spaceship.
The mercantile spaceship Nostromo is on its way back to Earth, with several crew members in stasis: Captain Arthur Dallas (Edgerton), executive officer Thomas Kane (Gordon Levitt), warrant officer Ellen Ripley (Lawrence), navigator Joan Lambert (Mara), science officer Ash (Fassbender), and a pair of engineers, Parker (Ejiofor) and Brett (Harris). Nostromo's computer, Mother (voiced by Sigourney Weaver), awakens the crew when she intercepts communication from a nearby moon, LV-426. The ship lands on the moon and is damaged by the rocky surface and atmosphere. Parker and Brett work on repairing the ship, while Dallas, Kane, and Lambert explore the surrounding area. The trio discovers the communication is coming from a dilapidated extraterrestrial spaceship; upon entering, they lose contact with Ash. The trio discovers the remains of a gigantic extraterrestrial form in the center of the room.
Ripley is able to partially decode the communication and learns that it is a warning. Meanwhile, Kane explores the structure, where he discovers a room filled with what appear to be egg-like sacks. When Kane makes contact with one of the sacks, it suddenly opens and an insectoid springs forth and attaches itself to his face, winding its tail around his neck and destroying his helmet. Dallas and Lambert discover an unconscious Kane and quickly bring him back to the ship, where Ripley refuses to let them inside due to quarantine regulations; Ash lets them inside anyways. He attempts to surgically remove the being from Kane's head, only to discover its blood is highly acidic. Sometime later, the insectoid detaches from Kane's face and dies. Kane awakens with little to no memory of the incident and is seemingly unharmed. The crew have one final meal together, before going into stasis; however, Kane begins to choke on his food and convulse, before dying as an infantile Xenomorph springs out from his chest. The remaining crew attempt to locate the alien, intent on catching and terminating it.
While searching for the alien, Brett follows Ripley's cat, Jones, into a supply room where he is killed by the now adult Xenomorph. Meanwhile, the remaining crew have a heated discussion, before concluding the Xenomorph is lurking within the air vents of the ship. Dallas enters the ventilation system, intending to lure it into an airlock, but it emerges from the darkness, ambushing and killing him. Lambert suggests the rest of them abandon the ship and escape in a small commute, but Ripley reveals one cannot hold all four of them. Now in charge, Ripley resolves to flush the Xenomorph out through the ventilation system.
Ripley subsequently discovers through Mother that Ash has been ordered to detain the Xenomorph by their company, Weyland Yutani, even at the cost of the crew's lives. When Ripley addresses him, Ash attacks her and attempts to strangle her by shoving a magazine down her throat. Parker is able to stop him, bludgeoning him in the head, resulting in his decapitation. Ash is revealed to be an android. They are able to restore him momentarily, at which point he admits his admiration for the Xenomorph's physiology and psychology. He taunts them about their chances against the unstoppable monster, before Ripley and Parker immolate him.
The remaining crew members: Ripley, Parker, and Lambert, decide to escape in the commute and destroy the ship. While Ripley prepares the commute, Parker and Lambert gather supplies. They are ambushed by the Xenomorph, which kills Parker, before coursing its tail through Lambert's vagina, mutilating and killing her.
As the ship is about to destroy itself, Ripley makes her way to the commute, where she discovers the Xenomorph blocking her way. She returns to the base of the ship in order to stop the self-destruct sequence, but finds there is no way to stop it. With no other options, Ripley returns to the commute as the ship is destroyed. While Ripley prepares to go into stasis, she discovers that the Xenomorph has taken up in the commute with her. The Xenomorph emerges from the vents and approaches Ripley, who climbs into a spacesuit, before opening the airlock, sucking the Xenomorph out of the ship. It attempts to crawl back inside through an exhaust, but Ripley discharges it, sending the alien flying away in space. Ripley then records her final log entry, citing herself as the only survivor of Nostromo. Afterwards, she places herself and Jones into stasis for their long trip home to Earth.
- Jennifer Lawrence as Ellen Ripley, a headstrong woman who is determined to come home to her young daughter, Amanda. She is the warrant officer on the ship and takes over as the captain of the ship once Dallas is murdered by the Xenomorph. Other actresses considered for the role were Jessica Chastain, Brie Larson, Tessa Thompson, Kate Mara, and Mary Elizabeth Winstead.
- Joel Edgerton as Arthur Dallas, the captain of the Nostromo. Other actors considered for the role were Patrick Wilson, Dan Stevens, and Javier Bardem.
- Michael Fassbender as Ash, a science officer aboard the Nostromo. Scott wanted to use Fassbender to portray Ash, believing him to be perfect for the role of the androids in the franchise.
- Joseph Gordon Levitt as Thomas Kane, the executive officer aboard the Nostromo. James McAvoy was also considered for the role.
- Rooney Mara as Joan Lambert, the androgynous navigator of the Nostromo. Other actresses considered for the role were Thandie Newton, Anne Hathaway, and Amanda Seyfried.
- Chiwetel Ejiofor as Dennis Parker, a wise-cracking African American engineer.
- Ed Harris as Samuel Brett, an older engineer working with Parker. Other actors considered for the role were John Carroll Lynch and Stanley Tucci.
Additionally, Sigourney Weaver makes a cameo voice appearance as the Nostromo's computer, Mother, and Javier Botet portrays the Xenomorph.
- Kane: Infantile Xenomorph bursts from his chest, killing him.
- Brett: Choked to death, dragged up into the ceiling. Transformed into Xenomorph egg.
- Dallas: Transformed into Xenomorph egg.
- Ash: Decapitated, deactivated and immolated by Parker and Ripley.
- Parker: Headbite by Xenomorph.
- Lambert: Impaled through genitalia by Xenomorph's tail.
- Ellen Ripley