Akuma is a playable character in the crossover fighting video game, Marvel vs. Capcom: Armageddon. His return in this game was officially revealed on August 16, 2019, along with many other characters who appear as well. Akuma is classified as Capcom fighter #7.
Voice actors Taketora (Japanese) and Dave Mallow (English) reprise their roles as Akuma in this fighting game, using voice clips recycled from Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds and Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3.
How to Unlock
This character is available at the start.
While some people often refer to Akuma as a shoto clone (characters who fight identically or similar to Ryu by utilizing his attacks, usually possessing a projectile and anti-air special, with a physical distance coverage optional), he has more than enough moves to distinguish himself from his lighter counterpart, utilizing a very different playstyle. Back in his earlier appearances, Akuma/Gouki simply had his moves as a combination of both Ryu and Ken's; his Hadouken was both as slow and strong, his Shouryuuken did multiple hits with Ryu's damage, and his Tatsumaki Zankuukyaku did multiple hits like Ken's and knockdown like Ryu's, giving him juggle capabilities. His overpowered damage output was balanced by giving him very low health, making him a classic example of a Glass Cannon in most of his appearances after most of Street Fighter II. His low health storywise is shown to be Akuma holding back his true power in order to enjoy his fights. Most of his recent versions are often balanced, though some game-breaking tools still tend to exist.
- Gō Hadoken (Great Surge Fist): An original past version of the Hadouken. Fires a burning ball of flaming purple demonic ki from his palms, but has a bit of delay before he tosses it. In past games, it was the size of its original SF incarnations in the Vs. Marvel titles, but in MVC3 the projectile is now as big as Ryu's version in the crossover series.
- Zankuu Hadouken (Slashing Air Surge Fist): A midair variation of the Hadouken, where Akuma/Gouki fires a ki blast from a single hand in midair. Can now perform during Hyakkishuu as the Hyakki Gouhou. Can hit OTG in past games. In some installments and usually in Akuma's more powerful forms, he can fire two at once from alternating palms.
- Gō Shouryuken (Great Rising Dragon Fist): A rising uppecut attack that does multiple hits, said to be the "original Shouryuuken" with the "killing touch". Depending on the game, this attack can have purple flame effects, or is a normal multi-hitting Shouryuuken.
- Tatsumaki Zankuukyaku (Tornado Slashing Air Leg): A flying spinning kick attack on a rotating axis on an invisible ki tornado. If used in midair, the L/A version moves on an arc, while the H/C version flies across, just like Ryu's. This attack is enhanced version of the original Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku. and can leap over low-angled attacks. In the whole MVC series, this move sports lightning effects. This attack knocked down foes like Ryu's version and could do multiple hits like Ken's, giving him juggle capabilities. In MVC3, the midair versions do not knockdown.
- Tenma Kuujinkyaku (Sky Demon Air Blade Leg): Akuma performs a dive kick at the apex of his jump with his foot's outer metatarsal portion like a blade. It is often a command normal that was only done during a forward jump, although in the MVC series Akuma has it as a special move that can be done any time in midair and does multiple hits with an air combo/aerial rave finish effect on midair foes. MVC3 converts it back into a command normal with no special hitting effects.
- Ashura Senkuu (Asura Flashing Air): Akuma with great ki control, phases through his opponent in a one-legged stance, can warp left or right. His dash animation is ripped from this.
- Hyakkishuu (Hundred Oni Assault): Akuma's flying variable move, takes a small leap and is able to perform these moves to mixup is opponents when applying pressure...
- Messatsu Gō Hado (Annihilating Great Surge) (Level 1): An enhanced version of the Shinku Hadoken that debuted in X-Men: COTA. Akuma fires a flaming beam of ki from his palms (it was a large multi-hitting ball of ki in past games). Both the Messatsu Gō Hadō and Tenma Gō Zanku have two forms in MVC3, the Agyou (Flattering Form), and Ungyou (Growling Form). The former is a stream of multiple Gouhadoukens in rapid succession. The latter, done by holding down H (Heavy Attack) during the M.G.H/T.M.G.Z.K.'s executions, is a concentrated beam like the aforementioned past MVC series Messatsu Gou Hadou.
- Tenma Gō Zankuu (Evil Spirit Great Air-Slashing) (Level 1): Akuma in midair shoots many Zankuu Hadoukens out of his hands. In most outside Marvel vs. Capcom games, like the Messatsu Gou Hadou it was a large ki ball instead. Can OTG in past games, but in MVC3, only the Ungyou version can OTG instead.
- Messatsu Gō Shoryu (Annihilating Great Rising Dragon) (Level 1): Akuma performs multiple Gou Shouryuukens on the opponent, burning them with dark purple flames. A stronger version of Ken Masters' Shouryuu Reppa (Rising Dragon Rending Blast). Used to lack flame effects in past games, and Evil Ryu has a stronger version of it in SSFIV: AE where after rising on the final blow, gathers a dark ball of energy, absorbs it then crushes his foes face to the ground in midair. Akuma has yet to achieve usage of that version.
- Raging Demon (Level 3): Trademark super and the most powerful technique for those who have fully tapped into the Satsui no Hadou. Akuma/Gouki poses then warps via Ashura Senkuu towards the opponent to grab them. The screen flashes with light and violent strikes are seen 'as the might of the 16 hells bombard the foe' while the screen is blacked out. Akuma/Gouki and the opponent reappear, with the opponent face-down on the ground covered in violet flames and the signature kanji character for 'heaven' is burning in the background (this happens of the opponent is K.O.ed from the attack, but it now appears whenever the move connects in MVC3). This move is unblockable in all appearances and now in MVC3 happens much faster than in previous installments that include this attack.
Character Unlock Tree
Akuma's Arcade Mode unlock tree (shared with Ken and Captain Commando) includes the following characters in order:
- Rocket Raccoon
- Black Widow
- Doctor Octopus
Marvel vs. Capcom: Armageddon characters
|List of Returning Characters (Marvel)|
|Black Panther · Black Widow · Blackheart · Cable · Captain America · Captain Marvel · Colossus · Cyclops · Deadpool · Doctor Doom · Doctor Strange · Dormammu · Gambit · Gamora · Ghost Rider · Hawkeye · Hulk · Iceman · Iron Fist · Iron Man · Juggernaut · M.O.D.O.K. · Magneto · Marrow · Nova · Omega Red · Phoenix · Psylocke · Rocket Raccoon · Rogue · Sabretooth · Sentinel · She-Hulk · Shuma-Gorath · Silver Samurai · Spider-Man · Spiral · Storm · Super-Skrull · Taskmaster · Thanos · Thor · Ultron · Venom · War Machine · Winter Soldier · Wolverine · X-23|
|List of Newcomers (Marvel)|
|Daredevil · Drax · Doctor Octopus · Elektra · Emma Frost · Falcon · Green Goblin · Human Torch · Moon Knight · Ms. Marvel · Quicksilver|
|List of Returning Characters (Capcom)|
|Akuma · Amaterasu · Amingo · Anakaris · Arthur · Baby Bonnie Hood · Cammy · Captain Commando · Charlie · Chris · Chun-Li · Crimson Viper · Dan · Dante · Dhalsim · Felicia · Firebrand · Frank West · Guile · Haggar · Hayato · Hsien-Ko · Jedah · Jill · Jin · Ken · M. Bison · Mega Man · Monster Hunter · Morrigan · Nemesis T-Type · Phoenix Wright · Roll · Ruby Heart · Ryu · Sakura · Sigma · SonSon · Spencer · Strider Hiryu · Trish · Tron & Servbot · Vergil · Viewtiful Joe · Wesker · X · Zangief · Zero|
|List of Newcomers (Capcom)|
|Alex · Batsu · Demitri · Donovan & Anita · Ingrid · Jon Talbain · June · Juri · Leon · Saki · Sōki|
|Abyss · Apocalypse · Galactus · Mar-Com Corruptor · Mii Fighter (Mii Brawler · Mii Gunner · Mii Swordfighter) · Onslaught · Rathalos · Ultron Sigma · Yami · Yellow Devil|