A Mother's Love is a 2019 American rape and revenge horror action film directed by Lucky McKee and written by Bryan Woods and Scott Beck.
The film was produced by Jason Blum, Lauren Moews and Evan Astrowsky.
The film focuses on a dedicated single mother going on a quest of revenge against 5 men after they gang rape and kill her rebelious sixteen year old daughter after she sneaks off to go to a rock concert with her friends.
The film stars Emily Blunt, Saxon Sharbino, Ice Cube, John Gallagher Jr., Elijah Wood, Jon Bernthal, Jon Hamm, Jake Gyllenhaal, Katelyn Nacon, Hailee Steinfeld, Bryan Cranston and Armie Hammer.
The film was distributed by Lionsgate and Blumhouse Productions and was released on November 30th, 2019 to polarizing but positive reviews from critics and audiences for it's simplicity, Emily Blunt's tour-de-force performance and for it's message on maternal instinct but the rape scenes and the film's graphic nature were the strong focus of criticism.
- Emily Blunt as Melissa Harding
- Saxon Sharbino as Kelly Harding
- Katelyn Nacon as Sara Merrick
- Hailee Steinfeld as Gwen Belding
- Armie Hammer as Officer Steven Feldman
- Ice Cube as Deputy Marvin Gray
- Bryan Cranston as Sheriff Carlton Underwood
- Elijah Wood as Stanley
- Jon Bernthal as Bob
- John Gallagher Jr. as Hank
- Jon Hamm as Krank
- Jake Gyllenhaal as Hobbs
- The film was originally given an NC-17 rating for it's graphic violence and rape scenes with the scene of Kelly being gang raped by Bob, Hank, Hobbs and Krank had to be heavily trimmed due to the MPAA finding the scene to be extremely perverse and graphic, the scene where Melissa kills Bob by stabbing her hunting knife through his throat after mangling his hand in a garbage disposal was slightly trimmed due to it's brutal nature, Stanley's death scene was originally on screen but was left off screen due to the MPAA deeming the scene very disturbing, The shoot out between Krank, Feldman, Gray and Carlton was slightly trimmed due to it's excessive use of blood and intensity but the scenes that were left uncut were the deaths of Sara and Gwen and the forced rape of Hank and Hobbs conducted by Melissa. The MPAA felt that the male on male rape scene signaled the end of Melissa's transformation into a hardened vigilante so they left it uncut. As a result, A Mother's Love received an R-rating.
- A Mother's Love is rated R for strong brutal bloody violence involving a sexual assault, strong sexual content, graphic nudity, some drug use and pervasive language.
- Emily Blunt admitted in an interview that she wanted to star in an action thriller since her husband John Krasinski is playing the titular character on Amazon's Jack Ryan and when she read the script, she was disturbed by the rape scene of Kelly and was impressed with "the parent out for revenge" concept so she agreed to play Melissa after calling the script, "A tonally but healthy mixture of I Spit On Your Grave and Taken".
- Katelyn Nacon and Jon Bernthal were on the AMC series The Walking Dead playing the roles of Enid and Shane Walsh respectively before starring in this film.
- A Mother's Love received a mixed-to-positive response from critics due to it's graphic nature which was criticized but praise went to the script, performances especially Emily Blunt's performance and it's maternal instinct and female empowerment message. The film was left with 76% on Rotten Tomatoes with the consenus reads, "A Mother's Love maybe graphic and excessive to a fault but Emily Blunt's hardcore performance and it's powerful message on maternal love drive the brutal bloody violence home."
- Bailee Madison, Joey King and Isabelle Fuhrman were considered for the role of Kelly Harding.
- Chloe Grace Moretz was approached to play Kelly Harding but backed out due to her committment to Neil Jordan's Greta (2019).
- Jamie King was considered for the role of Melissa Harding.