Cooties is an upcoming 2014 American science fiction comedy horror film directed by Cary Murnion and Jonathan Milott, written by Ian Brennanand Leigh Whannell. The film stars Elijah Wood, Alison Pill, Rainn Wilson, Jack McBrayer and Jorge Garcia.
The film was awarded with a Saturn Award Nomination for Best Horror film.
When a mysterious virus hits an isolated elementary school, transforming the kids into a feral swarm of mass savages, an unlikely hero must lead a motley band of teachers to fight for their lives.
The film begins with an assembly at Midfield Elementary School which oversees the young female principal Elaine Douglas announcing their final term break and the farewell to the sixth graders going on to Middle School.
That night Elaine along with her Midfield Elementary School councellor husband Ryan return to their newly renovated home where Ryan attempts to surprise her with the surprise holiday he has for her which he has already told the other staff members from Midfield including his best friends Richie and Donnie about.
The two however are cut short in their evening celebration as intruders seem to be circling the house and to have broken into the garden shed.
Ryan armed with a baseball bat discovers the garden shed to have been pryed open but no visible culprits.
He tells to Elaine to contact the police and report a breaking and entering as he walks the perimeter.
Elaine seems especially distressed at this and as the 1956 horror film The Bad Seed suddenly comes onto their living room television on the Hallmark channel large thuds at the front door scare her.
She screams for Ryan and quickly begins dialing 911.
Ryan finds their pet shepherd Roscoe barking loud and rustling violently against his chain in the backyard.
As the call patches through little hands pry with a crowbar and various other garden shed tools at the circuit box on the side of the house and cut the phone line and power.
Ryan still hearing Elaine's yelling and then witnessing the lights go runs to the front door and sees something on the door to which he seems shocked at.
He then rushes inside and comes to Elaine's side as the home phone line has been cut.
Elaine tells that she left her mobile phone in the car and Ryan quickly withdraws his from his pocket and tells her to dial as well as grab his revolver from the kitchen.
As the power comes back on and they're in the midst of going about their actions Ryan hears noises from upstairs and yells out.
Neighbor lights come as their neighbours hearing all the commotion attempt to leave their houses only to find all means of exit have been barred mysteriously by something invisible.
Ryan heads towards the front door as Elaine and him begin to hear loud screeching noises which blow out all the windows of the houses on the street including theirs.
Elaine and Ryan are rendered to the ground by the horrible sound interrupting Elaine's 911 call on Ryan's cell and as she calls out to him his ears begin to bleed.
Ryan gets to his feet and advances slowly towards the door and is slashed at the knees by a barbed wire skpping rope.
Three small raincoat hooded figures then enter the house before a screaming Elaine as the noise continues at a loud searing pitch and bright lights gleam through the open broken window frames of their house.
Ryan is then brutally killed as the three hooded figures remove their raincoat hoods revealing themselves to be children which shocks Ryan and Elaine who recognise them.
The children, two boys and a young blonde girl wielding the barbed wire skipping rope descend on Ryan and he is killed as the two boys snap his head to the side.
Elaine then reaches for a kitchen drawer and pulls it out upon the ground arming herself with Ryan's kitchen concealed revolver which she loads and then prepares to fire upon the fast approaching girl.
The girl taunts her and even skips the barbed wire rope as the two boys then follow slowly behind her.
Elaine cannot bring herself to shoot the girl and as she lowers the revolver is killed via multiple bloody lashings from the barbed wire rope.
First across the face then back as Elaine is whipped around violently by the attack and then finally twice across the chest.
Elaine collapses to the ground and the two boys come to deposit two colorful round lollipops beside Ryan and Elaine as the lights die out as Elaine's pupils dilate indicating her death.
The kids then skip out of the house and as they take off over the backyard fence passing what is the remains of the pet dog Roscoe the surrounding houses with their neighbors finally can exit their homes and all walk out onto the street.
Police sirens sound and as the authorities arrive they find themselves navigating a crowd of the street denizens who have gathered at the front to the Douglas residence where they see upon the broken front door the house the blood written Cooties, with Roscoe's collar dangling around a pin.
- Elijah Wood as Clint Hadson, Elementary English professor and unlikely main protagonist
- Alison Pill as Lucy McCormick , a 4th grade teacher of Maths and Clint's childhood crush
- Rainn Wilson as Wade Johnson, a former high school all-star athlete who is now a physical education teacher at the school
- Morgan Lily as Tamra
- Jack McBrayer as Quincy Donovan , bumbling, clumsy and constantly embarassing himself science professor
- Katrina Bowden as Kelli Jameson , Beautiful blonde girlfriend of Doug, youngest faculty member and art professor
- Jorge Garcia as Rubin , Midfield Elementary School Janitor
- Nasim Pedrad as Rebekkah Halverson , Bestfriend brunette of Lucy McCormick, serves as Wade's infatuation and professor of Elementary Social Studies
- Leigh Whannell as Doug Orlander , Clint's rival and boyfriend of art professor Kelli Jameson, serves as the elementary music professor
- Peter Kwong as Mr. Wong Hatachi , Elementary Japanese professor
- Rosie Perez as Principal Elaine Douglas
- Lenny Kravitz as Councellor Ryan Douglas
- Miles Elliot as Dink
- Jake Brennan as Lincoln
- Jared Breeze as Safety Helmet Boy
- Aiden Lovekamp as Racer
- Nikita Ager as Patriot’s Mom
- Armani Jackson as Calvin
- Cooper Roth as Patriot
- Max Charles as Walt
- Tate Berney as Trestler
- Zachariah Supka as Chrysler
- Lucy Hutchinson as Samantha
- Bridget Jeske as Riley
- Giselle Nieto as Tanya
- Sunny May Allison as Shelly
- The Douglas Home- Kreng
- Walt and Trestler- Kreng
- Tamra's Jump Rope- Kreng
- Sisters in Arms- Kreng
- The Staff- Kreng
- Tragedy- Kreng
- The Kids- Kreng
- Watchers In The Wings- Kreng
- Memorial- Kreng
- Conference- Kreng
- Chrysler & Kelli- Kreng
- The Conference Massacre- Kreng
- Kids Attack- Kreng
- The Seperation- Kreng
- Alien Arrival- Kreng
- The Face-Off- Kreng
- Aftermath- Kreng
- Kids- MGMT
- SAIL- AWOLNATION
- Girls & Boys- Blur
- I'm Blue- Eiffel 65
- Saturday Night- Whigfield
- Same Love- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Mary Lambert
- Sweater Weather- The Negiborhood
- Best Day Of My Life- American Authors
- White Walls- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. ScHoolboy Q & Hollis
- Counting Stars- OneRepublic
- Treasure- Bruno Mars
- Safe & Sound- Capital Cities
- Changing- The Airborne Toxic Event (End Credits Song)
The film premiered January 18, 2014 at the Egyptian Theatre in Park City, Utah during the 2014 Sundance Film Festival where it was selected to be featured in the "Park City at Midnight" program. The planned release date in the United States is October 10, 2014.
- "Elijah Wood Horror-Comedy ‘Cooties’ Catches Alison Pill, Rainn Wilson, Jack McBrayer, Jorge Garcia, Nasim Pedrad". deadline.com. 12 July 2013. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "Cooties will begin shooting today (July 15) in Los Angeles". digitalspy.co.uk. 15 July 2013. Retrieved 17 July 2013.